Young Defense Not Playing

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Luke Schenn, Vinny Lecavalier and RJ Umberger all need to be moved and definitely AMac
These are the horrible contracts within the Flyers org. Streit is one of the Flyers strongest veterans out on the ice and with the kids coming up next year or two you need that veteran presence.
Depending on what we get back this can free up almost 17mil in cap space...the problem is finding a sucker for these players.

Luke's contract is not a problem. He's a UFA after this year. Umberger's buyout number is low. So he's not that big of a deal either. Vinny and Amac, yes they are an issue, and no sucker will be found.

Streit will be moved at the deadline. He has solid value and can garner some nice assets. We are a rebuilding team and need to be aquiring all the draft picks we can while in this phase. MDZ is in the same category and should be moved as well.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I doubt they move both MDZ and Streit. That's taking 26 minutes per game out of the defense. And MDZ is only 25.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I doubt they move both MDZ and Streit. That's taking 26 minutes per game out of the defense. And MDZ is only 25.

I don't think your stance will be the same on June 24th when we don't get to pick a Travis Konecny-type 24th overall or Travis Sanheim-type 17th overall just because we'd miss minutes on defense the last quarter of this rebuilding season and next. This is what rebuilding is and how you get good for years.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Luke Schenn, Vinny Lecavalier and RJ Umberger all need to be moved and definitely AMac
These are the horrible contracts within the Flyers org. Streit is one of the Flyers strongest veterans out on the ice and with the kids coming up next year or two you need that veteran presence.
Depending on what we get back this can free up almost 17mil in cap space...the problem is finding a sucker for these players.

Schenn doesn't have to move. He's one of the better defensemen.

If he does move, it's because someone actually wanted him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think your stance will be the same on June 24th when we don't get to pick a Travis Konecny-type 24th overall or Travis Sanheim-type 17th overall just because we'd miss minutes on defense the last quarter of this rebuilding season and next. This is what rebuilding is and how you get good for years.

Throwing your young defense to the wolves by trading all the veterans that could play the tough minutes ahead of them doesn't work, either.

I think the odds of the defensemen being traded by the deadline are:

LSchenn - 9/10
Streit - 8/10
Medvedev - 7/10
Schultz - 5/10
Del Zotto - 2/10
Gudas - 2/10
Manning and MacDonald 0/10 (cause no one would trade for them)

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Throwing your young defense to the wolves by trading all the veterans that could play the tough minutes ahead of them doesn't work, either.

You know they're not going to get thrown to the wolves. Hextall won't let that happen.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I think the odds of the defensemen being traded by the deadline are:

LSchenn - 9/10
Streit - 8/10
Medvedev - 7/10
Schultz - 5/10
Del Zotto - 2/10
Gudas - 2/10
Manning and MacDonald 0/10 (cause no one would trade for them)

I think the 1st 2 are gonners. Medvedev...depends if anyone wants him. I think MDZ stays as he is still young and teams don't typically add guys like him for playoff runs. Gudas we keep unless the offer is too good.

Schultz is the 1 guy I can see a team asking about. He is fairly cheap and on good teams, he only has to play on the bottom pairing. The extra year could be an issue but I think desperate teams bite and then try and move him in the summer if they want to.

And remember, we can always find cheap vets in the offseason if we need them. I sell all I can if other teams want them AND the return is right.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Right, he will keep MDZ till at least the 2017 deadline.

We can find other stop gap players for the immediate future if need be. At this point, MDZ is nothing but a stop gap player for us because he is strictly a LD. We are blessed with many younger and more promising options at LD. For another team, MDZ would be worth a lot more and part of there future. Not taking the draft picks now would be a mistake when his value is at its highest (aka another year left at a good price).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Which vet is Hextall going to sign to a one year deal to play on the top pairing of the 16-17 Flyers team that Hextall will expect to make the playoffs?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Which vet is Hextall going to sign to a one year deal to play on the top pairing of the 16-17 Flyers team that Hextall will expect to make the playoffs?

Anyone. You can even take on another teams expiring bad contract. It doesn't matter because we aren't a contender next year no matter what happens. Don't be fooled by what he says in front of the media. All of his actions indicate something different entirely. If he was that concerned with making the playoffs Coburn would still be here.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
And if he just wanted to tank Berube would still be here, and he wouldn't have signed Medvedev to upgrade the defense.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
And if he just wanted to tank Berube would still be here.

He obviously wants to win. But he's not going to pass on doing the right thing for the future for extremely minimal gains now. There's a big difference between what he's doing now and tanking.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There will be a fire sale both to clear cap room and to make room for the young defensemen, Ghost, Morin and Hagg are good shots in camp next year, Alt has a chance to beat out Manning, Provorov and Sanheim will get long looks. So figure MDZ and Gudas are good bets to be back, they're probably stuck with MacDonald, Medvedev is a wild card (they might want him if they're pursuing that Russian D-man). Streit, Schenn, Schultz are good bets to be moved.

If they can move some contracts, they can afford to buy out Vinnie, carry Umberger another year on the 4th line, but forget signing significant free agents, other than the Russian D-guy if the price is right. Hextall has to decide if he's going to trade or extend B Schenn, resign Raffl (he's too valuable as depth and shouldn't cost too much), and what to do with Gagner. So I don't see a major FA signing for at least two years, Hextall does not want to ever be in this kind of cap hole again. And his moves suggests he's pretty committed to building through the draft and would like to add more picks.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Schultz could have got a decent pick at the deadline last season, but Hextall chose to sign him to a two year extension instead. Because he wanted him on the team going forward. It's the same thing with MDZ.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Everyone on the defense should be available for the right price. If someone offers a 1st for Streit or MDZ or both you take it immediately. If we can get a second for Schultz or Schenn I would definitely do it. Just look for the best deals possible for all of them since it's likely none will be here when we are competing for a cup. The one I would like to keep is Gudas because he is cost controlled and knows how to play his role.

Hell if we could get a couple extra 2nd and 3rd round picks we could try to trade one or two along with MacDonald to try to get rid of him and we wouldn't have really lost any assets

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Schenn doesn't have to move. He's one of the better defensemen.

If he does move, it's because someone actually wanted him.

I agree . I wouldn't move Schenn

Morin-Ghost
Schenn-Sanheim/Del Zotto
Provorov-Medvedev/Streit
Gudas

Trading Schenn unless we can't extend at a cheap rate would be a mistake. He's finally coming around. He's so young and has a ton of experience now . i'd keep the Schenn brothers unless they wanted contracts well above their worth

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Schenn has had longer stretches where he looked even better, but at the end of the day he still is what he's always been. A very limited defensemen. Below average speed and puck skills. Decent first pass if he can find time to make it, which he often cant. Thinks the game fine. His biggest attribute is his strength but he doesnt use it as often anymore. Nothing special about Schenn. With Gudas around, hes not going to get extended so trading him before they lose him for nothing would be the best asset management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->