Line Combos: You sold Connor Timmins to me and I bought it, but...

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
He's coming off of injury, is young, is playing a coveted position, and has potential. Sure, dump him for a bag of pucks just like everyone thought they should do with Robertson.

Can't wait to see the Liljegren takes when he's dog shit for a month coming off a major injury

Reactions: meefer and 1specter

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
He's coming off of injury, is young, is playing a coveted position, and has potential. Sure, dump him for a bag of pucks just like everyone thought they should do with Robertson.

Can't wait to see the Liljegren takes when he's dog shit for a month coming off a major injury
It's Connor Timmins. Is it really necessary to be this upset because someone else dislikes a depth player you like. Depth players are in abundance across the league.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I get the sense that he's a new Corrado, but with some actual offensive talent.

The thing with 25 year olds is that they are mostly done developing. Sure, there are always guys who blossom later, but they are exceptions. I'm sure people will continue to carry water for this guy until he UFA walks in the great tradition of Nic Petan, and there is always hope until the end, but the odds of him blossoming into something more are remote.

He's fine as a 6/7 and those aren't the players who make a big difference to the team's success. He's a detail, so giving him room and time to make or break while we have injuries is fine. Just fine. He's probably not going to do much because he's not particularly good, but I think we all want more good defensemen at the end of the day, so I think we're all rooting for him, regardless of whether or not we think he's got much of a shot.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Liljegren WILL be bad too, he's coming off a high ankle sprain and nobody ever looks good coming back from those. I remember Rielly played pretty well until he got a high ankle sprain in the 16-17 season and when he came back he was pretty awful for a month and unsurprisingly this board turned on him

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I get the sense that he's a new Corrado, but with some actual offensive talent.

The thing with 25 year olds is that they are mostly done developing. Sure, there are always guys who blossom later, but they are exceptions. I'm sure people will continue to carry water for this guy until he UFA walks in the great tradition of Nic Petan, and there is always hope until the end, but the odds of him blossoming into something more are remote.

He's fine as a 6/7 and those aren't the players who make a big difference to the team's success. He's a detail, so giving him room and time to make or break while we have injuries is fine. Just fine. He's probably not going to do much because he's not particularly good, but I think we all want more good defensemen at the end of the day, so I think we're all rooting for him, regardless of whether or not we think he's got much of a shot.
Eh, Corrado had played way more professional games by the time he was 25. Timmins hasn't even played in the AHL really. In Timmins' final junior season, he had a bad concussion which caused him to miss the entirety of what should've been his first year of professional hockey. Following that, he's only played 137 games of professional hockey total, split between NHL and AHL.

So in 6 seasons where he could've been playing pro, he's only played 137 games (~23 games a year). Corrado actually had chances, he just couldn't convincingly take a roster spot, while Timmins has shown flashes of looking pretty good but then being set back by injuries. He's definitely not the standard 25 year old pro hockey player in terms of his development and trajectory thus far.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Eh, Corrado had played way more professional games by the time he was 25. Timmins hasn't even played in the AHL really. In Timmins' final junior season, he had a bad concussion which caused him to miss the entirety of what should've been his first year of professional hockey. Following that, he's only played 137 games of professional hockey total, split between NHL and AHL.

So in 6 seasons where he could've been playing pro, he's only played 137 games (~23 games a year). Corrado actually had chances, he just couldn't convincingly take a roster spot, while Timmins has shown flashes of looking pretty good but then being set back by injuries. He's definitely not the standard 25 year old pro hockey player in terms of his development and trajectory thus far.
The thing with missed development time is that you don't get it back. Timmins has showed flashes of offensive talent, as well as flashes of being terrible in his own end. And injuries add up, glass men tend to stay glass. His lack of games might mean that there's more of a mystery factor at play, but he's competing with guys who've played 500 games in the same time frame and that's not a good thing for him.

If you want to believe that there's more hope for this guy than the last one, then by all means, fill your boots. Maybe all he needs is 30 healthy games in the NHL and he'll cement himself a spot. But that's what we say about all of these 25 year old tweeners and most of them are Petan or Corrado at the end of it all.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Citing Kypreos doesn't help your case.

Citing Kypreos doesn't help your case.
I am confident enough to state my own case. That is why I use the opening post to state my argument.

What did YOU want to say about Timmins?

Why don't you state your own opinion of Timmins instead of just ripping someone in the media who's face you don't like.

Oh oh oh! Here another name: Justin Bourne who was the one who brought up Timmins' struggles (to state it politely).

Last edited:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
But what is your statement based on?
Frank Corrado. Connor Carrick. Travis Dermott. Andreas Borgman, Calle Rosen, Martin Marincin, and Korbinian Holzer.

Are we expecting much development from Lagesson, Benoit, or Lajoie? My statement is that after a decade on HFLeafs and seeing who we've hyped up as having a real good shot to be a topX defender, I think we've got a terrible hit rate. So if you think that 25 year old defenders "often" keep improving, I want to know just how common "often" is. 25 year old tweeners are just tweeners, most of the time.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I am confident enough to state my own case. That is why I use the opening post to state my argument.

What did YOU want to say about Timmins?

Why don't you state your own opinion of Timmins instead of just ripping someone in the media who's face you don't like.

Oh oh oh! Here another name: Jason Bourne who was the one who brought up Timmins' struggles (to state it politely).

I think Timmins is a 6/7 defenseman. He does a good enough job to be a 6/7 defenseman and has filled in adequately while the team has been dealing with injuries. I don't think he plays in a healthy playoff lineup.

Last edited by a moderator:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think Timmins is a 6/7 defenseman. He does a good enough job to be a 6/7 defenseman and has filled in adequately while the team has been dealing with injuries. I don't think he plays in a healthy playoff lineup.
I want the bottom pairing on defence to be able to shut down the opposition, if they pot a goal here or there it’s great bonus. Timmins ain’t that……….

Last edited by a moderator:

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
I want the bottom pairing on defence to be able to shut down the opposition, if they pot a goal here or there it’s great bonus. Timmins ain’t that……….
You don't put your 3rd pair out against the opposition's top line.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Anyone who attempts to blame others as a basis for a thread title should take a hammer to their router and perhaps look at raising tulips.

Reactions: LeafChief

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You don't put your 3rd pair out against the opposition's top line.
Who said anything about playing against the opposition’s top line? I want the bottom six to be able to defend, and could care less about they’re offensive acumen’s……….

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I actually liked him for a spell last year.

But, he is absolute horseshit in our end, literally unplayable. He ain't getting better, in fact he's getting worse. What a disaster to watch.

Reactions: rumman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Timmins has a pretty unique ability to generate offense while looking completely sub NHL.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Both ways too!!

If Timmy was ready to go tomorrow, Timmins is who I would take out. I like Legesson and Benoit's game as a 5-6. They keep it simple, play physical and generally are hard on the puck.

On the bright side, this might be the moment to waive him or send him down to the Marlies for conditioning. Don't think a lot of teams will be especially interested at this moment. And if they are, you're freeing up some cash.

I bet even a call up like Villeneuve would look more respectable.

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad