Line Combos: You sold Connor Timmins to me and I bought it, but...

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
...I'll never do that again.

He is a would be, that probably won't be.

Outside of being an injured player what is he? I actually thought he was a lot younger, but he's 25. He was drafted in 1998 and only played 70 games in the NHL.

As far as I can tell he's not good for TOR or any NHL team.

What am I missing here? Draft pedigree?

Why are you in his corner?

What do you see?

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

Outside of being an injured player what is he? I actually thought he was a lot younger, but he's 25. He was drafted in 1998 and only played 70 games in the NHL.

What do you see?
He’s a big body offensive d I guess but he should have got a tune up in A hes lilys age and he reminds me of lily second year I think it was where he played a game at the end of the year and you could tell he wasn’t ready same with timmins only I can tell he won’t be ready for the playoffs why I’ve been calling for peeke trade to sure up 3rhd

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I see a third pairing d-man signed to a reasonable enough contract for that expectation to be met.

*It'd be fair to note that he'd be a 7th D here given a fully healthy blueline.

Reactions: banks

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

What do you see?

Drafted right behind Vincent LeCavalier.

He melted under the pressure of those Vinny versus Timmy TSN draft specials.

Reactions: TropicOfNoReturn

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
You draft a rookie and say “I wonder what he will be able to do when he has his man strength”. You then wait 5 years to find out.

We have a 25 year old RHD, on a cap friendly contract for 2 years, who can play the PP and had size. He also hasn’t played a full season and is essentially a rookie.

If you are holding him to the standard of a 25 year old who’s played 6 seasons, perhaps you are disappointed.

If you hold him to the standard of a not yet sophomore player still learning, knowing it takes Defenceman longer to mature. Based on this thinking, you are probably happy with what you’ve seen and want to see more.

I know where I fall. I just hope he can stay healthy so we can find out.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
You draft a rookie and say “I wonder what he will be able to do when he has his man strength”. You then wait 5 years to find out.

We have a 25 year old RHD, on a cap friendly contract for 2 years, who can play the PP and had size. He also hasn’t played a full season and is essentially a rookie.

If you are holding him to the standard of a 25 year old who’s played 6 seasons, perhaps you are disappointed.

If you hold him to the standard of a not yet sophomore player still learning, knowing it takes Defenceman longer to mature. Based on this thinking, you are probably happy with what you’ve seen and want to see more.

You have some kind of recipe book, or rules for GMs literature that you're sharing.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Timmins looked great last year when he first played here. He then tailed off badly, didn't seem to use his size, didn't seem to anticipate quick enough in our zone, basically soft and ineffective. He looked a house on fire in preseason, but once again that appears to be a mirage, or here we call it a malginage. He played okay last night, let's hope he finds another level, right now he looks a warm body.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Yeah he hasn't taken that step forward yet I thought he might but he is 4 games in and is coming off another injury so I think its still pretty early to set his limits.

He has played in 105 games since 17-18. 105 games spread over 5 seasons since his draft year where he only played 36. Lily is a year younger and has played 300 pro games in North America. He needs to play a lot and he needs to stop getting hurt or we will never know what he is. I think he was pretty solid last year in protected usage but I am getting concerned he will never be available to play enough consecutive games to develop to his potential.

DATEINJURY
10/2/23Lower-body
10/25/22Upper-body
10/26/21Lower Body
3/8/21Upper Body
10/14/18Concussion

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
You have some kind of recipe book, or rules for GMs literature that you're sharing.
1701464566541.jpeg

:)

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Yeah he hasn't taken that step forward yet I thought he might but he is 4 games in and is coming off another injury so I think its still pretty early to set his limits.

He has played in 105 games since 17-18. 105 games spread over 5 seasons since his draft year where he only played 36. Lily is a year younger and has played 300 pro games in North America. He needs to play a lot and he needs to stop getting hurt or we will never know what he is. I think he was pretty solid last year in protected usage but I am getting concerned he will never be available to play enough consecutive games to develop to his potential.

DATEINJURY
10/2/23Lower-body
10/25/22Upper-body
10/26/21Lower Body
3/8/21Upper Body
10/14/18Concussion
He has a month to show what he can do before the reinforcements show up. Once everyone is healthy, he will not be gifted playing time. Also, I expect they will add one d once Klingberg is officially done for the year. So then minutes could be really hard to come by.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I don't want to seem overly critical, but it sounds like you're using a GM 101 formula more than your opinion of the player.

I get it. There are reasons to take chances on players, but for how long do you keep a reclamation project? I just wish he wasn't an option when we have many injuries (3 now) on the blue line.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

Doesn’t mean you don’t sure the d up with tanev and peeke or a rhd that could play 3rd pair minutes incase timmins isn’t ready which I doubt he will be

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

What do you see?
He is still a kid learning to wipe his *ss in pro hockey .. he can skate and he is big .. he has some decent offensive skills like a big shot .. he needs a year or two playing with a vet before anyone will know if he can become a decent d man .. here he is a 6th dman at best but in a year where we are going for a Cup not sure we can give him da training wheels

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

DATEINJURY
10/2/23Lower-body
10/25/22Upper-body
10/26/21Lower Body
3/8/21Upper Body
10/14/18Concussion
When Willy held out for the first 20 games of 2018 he was basically useless because he was playing catch-up with his team...yet somehow this kid who has very little experience is supposed to miss 20games and be Cale Makar? I agree with you in that we have some potential with him...but his injury history makes it not someone you would make a big bet on. Give him some time and hope he catches up to everyone and then we can complain that he isn't meeting expectations.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
We could probably package him in a deal with McMann for a #1 D if we can find a GM with early onset dementia.

Reactions: cookie

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

What do you see?

Whoever sold you on CONOR Timmins did a horrible job.

You literally didn't know anything about the kid. His age, when he was drafted, or even how to spell his first name. He's always been injury prone and always will be.

He's official Band-Aid Boy status.

Dubas traded for him, and gave him a couple million bucks, because he played in the Soo. That's the only reason this guy is here. If he played for any other juniour team as a kid you wouldn't know anything about him.

Not that you do already.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Considering a 2nd rounder like Justin Holl didn't become a full time NHLer till he was 27-28 with a lengthy and unremarkable college and AHL career in his early to mid 20s there's no real reason to have any strong opinion on Timmins other than let him build a track record and see how it goes.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I remember every year for 3 or 4 years on Colorado he got injured in preseason or early in the season. They finally just traded him away somewhere and got injured there instantly. Then leafs signed him and here we are

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad