Line Combos: You sold Connor Timmins to me and I bought it, but...

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Considering a 2nd rounder like Justin Holl didn't become a full time NHLer till he was 27-28 with a lengthy and unremarkable college and AHL career in his early to mid 20s there's no real reason to have any strong opinion on Timmins other than let him build a track record and see how it goes.
Did Holl have the same injury history?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
...I'll never do that again.

He is a would be, that probably won't be.

Outside of being an injured player what is he? I actually thought he was a lot younger, but he's 25. He was drafted in 1998 and only played 70 games in the NHL.

As far as I can tell he's not good for TOR or any NHL team.

What am I missing here? Draft pedigree?

Why are you in his corner?

What do you see?

He was not drafted in 1998

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Did Holl have the same injury history?
No, Holl just plain wasn't good enough. And you can easily argue he's still not that great. #6 at most.

Which is what we're hoping a non-injured Timmins turns out to be. If he's anything more than that, it's gravy. If he never turns out to be anything, he's not making enough for it to be an issue.

If there were a guy on this team I'd worry will hamstring the team and really shouldn't be around right now, it's probably Reaves. Too bad they can't find a guy with his attitude who can play...

Reactions: LeafSteel

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Was always a fan of him as a prospect but I think some are still hanging on to his past potential and not calling a spade a spade.

He had a great stretch last season before tapering off and being scratched. He needed to put together a healthy 60+ games this year while taking a step forward defensively to become a mainstay NHLer. Injured right out of camp and likely going to be scratched when a trade happens/Liljegren/Gio return.

Right now, his defensive game comes down to weak puck chasing. Doesn't use his size at all and can’t kill a cycle. So he’s basically an offensive defenseman with no point shot and shoddy hands who is mistake prone.

There’s an argument that because he missed so much time from 20-25 that once healthy he’s going to make up that time. Those are peak development years, his game isn’t going to change much at all after 25/26. He’s a #6/7.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I see an offensively talented, decent skating, larger bodied guy, who due to injuries hasn’t had the ice time to develop properly. Yes, he’s 25, but more like a 21 year old in experience. I don’t know if he can stay healthy, or if he can develop to have some decent defensive capabilities, but I do know expecting developing prospects to be great is going to lead to disappointment. You basically have to look at him as a developing young prospect who cost almost nothing and if he turns into something great.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I see an offensively talented, decent skating, larger bodied guy, who due to injuries hasn’t had the ice time to develop properly. Yes, he’s 25, but more like a 21 year old in experience. I don’t know if he can stay healthy, or if he can develop to have some decent defensive capabilities, but I do know expecting developing prospects to be great is going to lead to disappointment. You basically have to look at him as a developing young prospect who cost almost nothing and if he turns into something great.
Basically you're telling me he's an unholy Colaiacovo/Corrado hybrid??

1630439472260.gif

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
They say young D-men need about 150 games, Timmins has played less than half of that.

Reactions: arso40

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He started the year as our 7/8 dman (arguable between him and Lagesson), and he’s now our 6/7 with Klingberg out for the season. He’s one of many dmen playing too high up the lineup at the moment, that’s what happens when you have tonnes of injuries on D.

He’s a fine ~6-8 dman, what were you expecting? He hasn’t had significant hype for years, not since he was in his early 20s in Colorado. If you thought he was some sort of stud, that’s your own fault, it was not at all a mainstream opinion among Leafs fans.

Also, he was drafted in 2017, not 1998, and his first name is Conor, not Connor.

Last edited:
Reactions: therealkoho

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Well, if the hockey oracle said that, it must be true. (Please note, I said oracle, not orifice, just to be clear).
The same guy who said that the Leafs needed to trade Knies for Kane at TDL last year if they were truly serious about winning it all?

Yep, orifice is the more accurate term to describe Kypreos and his takes.

Timmins represents something we don’t have any of on our roster or prospects. You give the guy some time to see what he can put together and develop.

Does he even have 100 NHL games under his belt yet? We’ve had crappier guys on our defence that we paid more for.

Benoit-Timmins represents a decent 3rd pairing that is cost effective, compliment their style of play, and have development opportunity.

Much more pressing to improve on Brodie at 1RHD than anything Timmins is/isnt currently doing IMO.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
He's bad right now, noticeably bad. However (here come the justifications) he's coming off an injury with an extremely limited camp to play guys in mid-season form. This, combined with how he's a #5-6 offense first guy that can play pp2 (mixed results, but not terrible there) and he's pretty much exactly where we should expect him to be.

Once the leafs get Lilly and gio back and timmins gets paired with one of them instead of Benoit, my expectations are he will be alot closer to what we saw last year. We should have realistic expectations in that- most players don't look good next to Benoit, doubly so when you're now expected to play defence and you're a half step behind everyone

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He's bad right now, noticeably bad. However (here come the justifications) he's coming off an injury with an extremely limited camp to play guys in mid-season form. This, combined with how he's a #5-6 offense first guy that can play pp2 (mixed results, but not terrible there) and he's pretty much exactly where we should expect him to be.

Once the leafs get Lilly and gio back and timmins gets paired with one of them instead of Benoit, my expectations are he will be alot closer to what we saw last year. We should have realistic expectations in that- most players don't look good next to Benoit, doubly so when you're now expected to play defence and you're a half step behind everyone
How about a conditioning stint with the Marlies, if he’s not up to speed at the NHL level? Personally I think his play in the preseason was a anomaly, Cowen looked good for a bit to, but we knew he would come down to earth before long……..

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
How about a conditioning stint with the Marlies, if he’s not up to speed at the NHL level? Personally I think his play in the preseason was a anomaly, Cowen looked good for a bit to, but we knew he would come down to earth before long……..
There has to be a specific set of circumstances that would need to be met in order to have him sent for conditioning that he does not currently meet. In which case, the leafs could TRY to send him down, but it would require him to clear waivers. However, other teams do not like it when the Leafs send players down and I'd bet a cool fiver he gets claimed by either Pitt, edm, or sj.

It's a tough go, but I'm sure he will figure it out. Kid has skill, he's just build like lupul.

Reactions: rumman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad