News Article: "You have spent your bullet" Shanahan and Dubas revisited

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
we probably have the same record with or without clifford
You clearly don't get it.
Keep watching.
Eventually you will be forced to get it.
Results do and will speak for themselves.
We need MORE Clifford types.
Way less girly boys.
Ya know.
Engvall/Johnsson/Kapanen/Malgin/Barrie/Bracco/Petan - Wow - We have a ton all the same.
Embarrassing.
And more in line behinde them.
Fire Dubas!!

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Leafs could really use a 6'3 middle-6 winger and a a 6'3 physical D.

An example of two guys that fit the bill that Leafs could acquire are ... Mikheyev and Muzzin!

Why don't Dubas/Shanny go after those 2 guys?

Oh wait ...

Reactions: unitedstars87

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
You clearly don't get it.
Keep watching.
Eventually you will be forced to get it.
Results do and will speak for themselves.
We need MORE Clifford types.
Way less girly boys.
Ya know.
Engvall/Johnsson/Kapanen/Malgin/Barrie/Bracco/Petan - Wow - We have a ton all the same.
Embarrassing.
And more in line behinde them.
Fire Dubas!!
This is such a toxic way of thinking. We have very young players who can develop grit with experience, we've already tried to brian burke experiment and it failed horribly

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
This is such a toxic way of thinking. We have very young players who can develop grit with experience, we've already tried to brian burke experiment and it failed horribly

What are you referring to? The time that when he arrived in TOR where we had no talent to speak of? He had a lot less to work with than Lou and Dubas.

You can't just see things as extremes all the time. The Sundin and Gilmour teams were very tough. Don't ever forget that. Same goes for a lot of Cup winning teams.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
What a giant leap there OP to force your narrative.

Long jump athletes will surely flock to your door to learn the hyper extension technique.

Shanahan precisely says Dubas is safe and you’re warped thinking somehow concludes Dubas is on the brink.

Dubas’ time as GM is closer to not having started than it is to being over. The dialogue in the Leafs brass is clearly based around this being the last “ride it out” season and next year is going to be the first true test of what this GM and group can show.

Reactions: kb

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
What a giant leap there OP to force your narrative.

Long jump athletes will surely flock to your door to learn the hyper extension technique.

Shanahan precisely says Dubas is safe and you’re warped thinking somehow concludes Dubas is on the brink.

Dubas’ time as GM is closer to not having started than it is to being over. The dialogue in the Leafs brass is clearly based around this being the last “ride it out” season and next year is going to be the first true test of what this GM and group can show.
giving the GM or a coach a vote of confidence means nothing for there job security and while i doubt Dubas gets fired this season next year isn't his first true test , it probably will be his last if the team continues to play the way they have been

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Very interesting observation.

Imo Burke and Nonis filled the roster with so called "character" guys and i saw what happened.

Imo theres no way the team shpuld walk away from thr kind of talent that it hasnt had in a couple decades just because of a down season.

Tampa didnt blow up its core after a playoff sweep loss, they tinkered around with the edges of the team - which is where i think the Leafs should do

Reactions: kb and danny90

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Very interesting observation.

Imo Burke and Nonis filled the roster with so called "character" guys and i saw what happened.
Their mistake was filling the entire roster with character guys without a legit core to support. What this team needs is more hymans throughout lines 2-4 supporting the existing core in place. The D needs actual defenceman who understand how to play defence.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Their mistake was filling the entire roster with character guys without a legit core to support. What this team needs is more hymans throughout lines 2-4 supporting the existing core in place. The D needs actual defenceman who understand how to play defence.

Agreed.

And what I see happening is the team trading 1-2 of the 2nd tier guys (like AJ) to retool the D and then being in some more Hyman types for the bottom six

Last edited:

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Leafs could really use a 6'3 middle-6 winger and a a 6'3 physical D.

An example of two guys that fit the bill that Leafs could acquire are ... Mikheyev and Muzzin!

Why don't Dubas/Shanny go after those 2 guys?

Oh wait ...
You can bet it was not Wonder Boys idea.
Thankfully they were forced on him.
Babcock was the key in getting Mik and Muzzin and Clifford were 100% not a Dubas idea.
Way too big and strong for a Dubas team.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I'm not going to comment until we know if this season and playoffs is completely done.

If the season + playoffs is done then I will start a new topic: "Speculation: Did the Corona Virus Save Dubas and Shanny's Job?"

A new sentiment by leaf fans is that this Virus saved TOR the humiliation...

...of:

A. Not making the playoffs
B. Getting destroyed in the first round of the playoffs.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
In the end rather than any single skill set this team needs to find some heart. Maybe they’ll find it over time. Too bad they are getting paid to have it right now.

Up to Dubas and Shanahan through their respective roles to get this team from where they are to where they need to go.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
This thread title is atrocious. It makes it look like Shanny is telling Dubas that he has "spent his bullet". It couldn't be a more misleading quote from Shanny's words. He's literally saying the opposite, by explaining that people thinking that way are wrong.

His actual quote is in the OP, but it's still a crazy bad thread title.

“I don’t see this or view this decision by Kyle and the team as a situation where traditionalists might say, ‘You have spent your bullet,’ ” Shanahan said. “That’s not how I view it. I can tell you that’s not how our ownership views it. We’re in this together."

This is straight up a joke about how Michael Scott doesn't know how to quote someone properly. Only the thread title is twisting the intended meaning, so it's even worse than a joke.

productimg

"Dubas has spent his bullett. -traditionalists who are wrong" -Brendan Shanahan

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
This thread title is atrocious. It makes it look like Shanny is telling Dubas that he has "spent his bullet". It couldn't be a more misleading quote from Shanny's words. He's literally saying the opposite, by explaining that people thinking that way are wrong.

His actual quote is in the OP, but it's still a crazy bad thread title.

“I don’t see this or view this decision by Kyle and the team as a situation where traditionalists might say, ‘You have spent your bullet,’ ” Shanahan said. “That’s not how I view it. I can tell you that’s not how our ownership views it. We’re in this together."

This is straight up a joke about how Michael Scott doesn't know how to quote someone properly. Only the thread title is twisting the intended meaning, so it's even worse than a joke.

productimg

"Dubas has spent his bullett. -traditionalists who are wrong" -Brendan Shanahan
Just shows how tone deaf Shanahan is.
He should be fired right after Dubas is fired.
Like.
Today.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I'm not going to comment until we know if this season and playoffs is completely done.

If the season + playoffs is done then I will start a new topic: "Speculation: Did the Corona Virus Save Dubas and Shanny's Job?"

A new sentiment by leaf fans is that this Virus saved TOR the humiliation...

...of:

A. Not making the playoffs
B. Getting destroyed in the first round of the playoffs.
C. We were all spared from comments from posters who are masquerading as fans of our team.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yet another fail of a thread.

Batting 100% on epic fails.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: