Post-Game Talk: You had as good of a save % as Koskinen

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
I thought we saw some of Kahuns best games playing on the 1st line actually. He was complimenting McD pretty well.
I thought the same. Without a doubt in my mind, come playoff time, you split McD and Drai. Sure, you might not see the two of them get 3-4 pts per night, but it'll be a more well-rounded lineup. Drai/RNH/Yama and McD/Jesse/Kahun or Shore or or Ennis or Archie.

When you play those guys together and they're running 25 min / night and play all of the PP's, I just can't help but think the rest of the team gets a bit frustrated and demotivated.

Reactions: CravenMH

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Where is Peter Chiarelli these days? Is the league still pumping his tires trying to sucker some owner into hiring his sorry ass? I wonder if Chiarelli ever looks back at his time here and thinks “Man, what the hell was I thinking there??” Given his high levels of *ahem* “self-confidence”, I’m sure sober second thoughts never occur. Wherever you are, Peter Panic, just remember this: you are still a jackass and Oilers fans still hate you.

get sincerely stuffed,

BudBundy

Reactions: TB12

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
I would just like to congratulate Koskinen on his heads up play to NOT break his stick when Larsson was still in the line of fire. About the only positive you can take from his game.

I was thinking that kudos to Koskinen were in order for that too. However, when I looked at the replay again, it wasn't so much that he was worried about hitting Larsson - it was more that his glove hand was just slow to move.

Thanks Chiarelli for the gift that keeps on giving. This guy has had some good games, some great games, and then some horrible games (more than most). He's like Dubnyk was with us - lets in one or two bad goals a game. His record says it all. What if Smith had been healthy all year - we'd likely be in first place in the North ahead of Nostrils.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Its still somewhat early but Kulikov doesnt look like a top 4 dman. I was a bit relunctant because even thought NJ fans praised him, I didnt see a ton of praising from Winnipeg fans. I guess we will see but the guy looks like hes over his head too much for my liking in the top 4.
He didn't play for 3 weeks and is adjusting to a new team. I mentally gave myself until the start of the playoffs for him to come around. Not sure that is the right answer but need him to sharpen his game for then.

Reactions: TB12 and GOilers88

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
One shit game doesn't erase the previous solid games he played.

Statistically it does ;). All that work he put into getting over .900 and one game going 0/4 dropped him right back to .900. think he was up to .907.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Kostco was obviously terrible but what is it gonna take before we start looking at this orgs goalie coaching/scouting/development? Our best goalie this year made a point to get his own private coaches for this season. 2 up and coming goalies (Hart and Jarry) that trained with Schwartz are having down years (Hart's has been a disaster).

Kostko is not the only goalie that turned into a fragile mess that keeps letting in the first shot. That's what Talbot was too until he escaped this org.

Something else is up here imo and this org has not at all shown themselves to be serious about how they handle goalies. Just hired the nearest guy from the oil Kings org. That's the extent of our efforts in the last half decade or so.
Post of the day

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Where is Peter Chiarelli these days? Is the league still pumping his tires trying to sucker some owner into hiring his sorry ass? I wonder if Chiarelli ever looks back at his time here and thinks “Man, what the hell was I thinking there??” Given his high levels of *ahem* “self-confidence”, I’m sure sober second thoughts never occur. Wherever you are, Peter Panic, just remember this: you are still a jackass and Oilers fans still hate you.

get sincerely stuffed,

BudBundy
I think he was sabatoging the team for uncle Gary

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I would play Koskinen on Saturday to give him a boost of confidence. Against Montreal I would split the games with Smith and Koskinen. The last game of the season should be Stalock.

Reactions: GOilers88

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I agree. If the plan is to rebuild his confidence what happens when Vancouver keeps shooting high? I know if I’m facing him I’m looking shelf every time
At some point Stalock has to see the ice. Can’t keep him on the bench forever. I want to see what he can do before the season ends.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I think Gregor is a hack, but this is an accurate post.

People nowadays just want blood, Koskinen had a **** game, no doubt about that, but his body of work has been solid for 3 months. Suddenly people want him jetted into the sun.

There is good reason people want him jettisoned into the sun. He has let the first shot of the game in 6 times this year. His game was completely in the tank for consecutive games before Smith returned from injury. These traits of his are proven over the past 3 years as well as having a terrible glove hand, hence the common Frying Pan monicker he has. Finally people don't like his contract and while Chiarelli left us with that parting gift, you are expected to play up to your contract. He has a starters contract yet he is a middling backup, some games he is excellent and some games he is awful. That is why people want him fired into the sun, myself included.

Reactions: McFuhryous

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
At some point Stalock has to see the ice. Can’t keep him on the bench forever. I want to see what he can do before the season ends.
I don't get why he has to play.

He was picked up as insurance for one of the two going down with injury. Are any teams sitting either of their two NHL goalies to give their third stringers games? Has that ever been a thing heading into playoffs? I honestly don't ever recall seeing this so much as I have this season.

Koskinen and Smith are our guys this season. Stalock isn't going to supplant either one of them and will only see the bench if injury occurs imo. And even if one does go down, I don't see him getting any starts in the post season unless the team goes down like 0-3 and at that point what does it matter if he's played one or two games?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I’ve never seen a goalie that tall get beat up high so often and he is just completely full of holes even when he is set. When a shot comes through a screen, I expect it to hit Smith. For whatever reason, with Koskinen, it leaks through an awful lot. I actually thought he’d made some progress with his frying pan, but perhaps I was overly optimistic. One more year and he’s back to the KHL where he belongs.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
There is good reason people want him jettisoned into the sun. He has let the first shot of the game in 6 times this year. His game was completely in the tank for consecutive games before Smith returned from injury. These traits of his are proven over the past 3 years as well as having a terrible glove hand, hence the common Frying Pan monicker he has. Finally people don't like his contract and while Chiarelli left us with that parting gift, you are expected to play up to your contract. He has a starters contract yet he is a middling backup, some games he is excellent and some games he is awful. That is why people want him fired into the sun, myself included.
How can you reasonably expect someone to play up to a contract that they never should have received? He was never a 4.5 million dollar guy, and just because management gave that to him doesn't suddenly mean he can be that guy.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think last night was the last time we saw Kosko in net for the Oil.

Barring injury to Smith he won't play again this season and I would say that there is an 80% chance of Kosko being bought out this summer. Own up to your mistakes and move on--the guy made a ton of starter money while being a backup talent so he has been well served. Best move for both parties.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

As much as I want to see him get a game in, look no further than Bouchard. The only way Stalock is going to get onto the bench is if one of the two can't go for whatever reason.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
One shit game doesn't erase the previous solid games he played.
I still don’t understand how we had both Talbot and Koskinen develop a bad habit of allowing early goals. Talbot hasn’t done that since he left, so what’s going on here? Is it a goalie coaching issue or something outside the rink?

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not much to read into this game except that Kosko is still a huge risk. Can come in and look solid for a bit then completely blow it.

Nurse needs to not take penalties against and fight AHL scrubs.

McDavid could have had 5 points. Worried about that awkward fall he took on that hit.

Drai just chillin and ripping goals when he feels like he’s done resting up.

Nuge was fine. His linemates need to start burying.

Pulju still awesome.

Kulikovs Covid rust grace period is over and he’s still a turnover machine. What’s with this dude? According to NJ fans this isn’t his game. Maybe he just gives zero shits playing for Edmonton? If so, get him off this team ASAP.

Yeah, honestly. He has likely been our worst defender since coming to the team. Lagesson looked better in his one game. Kulikov has been quite bad. Makes turnover after turnover in his own zone. You can see he has skill in his game, but he sure makes a LOT of mental errors.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, honestly. He has likely been our worst defender since coming to the team. Lagesson looked better in his one game. Kulikov has been quite bad. Makes turnover after turnover in his own zone. You can see he has skill in his game, but he sure makes a LOT of mental errors.
I wonder if he's having trouble trusting the talent around him, given the lack of success in NJ.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I still don’t understand how we had both Talbot and Koskinen develop a bad habit of allowing early goals. Talbot hasn’t done that since he left, so what’s going on here? Is it a goalie coaching issue or something outside the rink?
Smith let in the first shot of the previous game too.

I think part of it is just shitty play off the hop.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Last night was other-worldly-twilight-zone sort of stuff. As a goalie, I was going to defend him a bit on the first two... the third, ouch,... it is possible to get TOO MUCH of the puck... I think it happened to hit his stick, which caused it to flop in when it otherwise would have been over the glass... I've had that happen too and promptly bought a new blocker with a stiffer board. But the fourth?... eeek... horrendous and it was clear he'd completely checked out.

... they say it's more a mental game than anything else. Yeah,... the brotherhood weeps for you today Mikko.

But... the 1st shot 1st goal conversation has been going on since the Scrivens era, Dubnyk and Talbot were also affected.

Given how long we've been complaining about it, it is tough to blame it on prep, players, coaching... so the question Mr. Math. How often does it happen in the NHL? Do you know where you would get that data? (or did you look at individual game reports?)
Not sure if any site tracks this stuff. I just went through the Play by Play data for each game on NHL.com to find the info for Koskinen and Smith.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad