Post-Game Talk: You had as good of a save % as Koskinen

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
How can you reasonably expect someone to play up to a contract that they never should have received? He was never a 4.5 million dollar guy, and just because management gave that to him doesn't suddenly mean he can be that guy.

Exactly. So buy him out and move on.

Reactions: GOilers88

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah, maybe he's a bit too old for a Dubby type of turnaround. My point was more that he's not going to get past it here... that shame will run deep and you wouldn't expect management to go out of their way to rebuild the confidence of a $4.5M backup.

IMO, his glove hand is terrible because he's so "rote" in his approach. Straight to butterfly, straight to elbows tucked to protect the 7-hole. It's fine if he's going to butterfly on every shot, most do these days, but you gotta get your glove hand disconnected from that movement... hold it higher, more out in front, so that if you get caught moving your glove in the wrong direction to the tucked position, you are on the way IN to your body rather than on the way DOWN to your body.

I've defended a lot of our goalies over the years, but I have no allegiance to Koskinen, that contract was ugh-terrible from the day it was signed and a real slap in the face for Talbot who, surprise surprise is still throwing up 918 and 917 SPCT in the last two years with his change in scenery.

All the posters that were freaking out about first shot Talbot should consider what we have now instead. Talbot was always a legit starter with solid fundamentals, movement, puck tracking etc. Goalies have bad periods, even good goalies. You wait it out and for the form to return. I liked Talbots game, I was not a fan of Dubnyk because of similar rote techniques.

Reactions: BlackDogg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I've let in that exact blocker sav-oal! He overcompensated to "be sure" and get more of the puck, which deadened it flat on the blocker, allowing it then to flip over, catch his stick and flop into the net like a fish.

I agree that it happens when you are fighting yourself, doubting..... when you are on, you deliberately get just enough of that puck to have it skim over the glass.

I'm not sure if you drafted your first sentence there on purpose (or is it missing "team" or "Tippett"?)... but if you did, I agree. Koskinen has lost faith in Koskinen.

Wording as intended. I don't know how one gets over that performance. I think Koskinen knows what it meant, and an uncharacteristic stick smashing. But even if not I agree with your other post that he's not confident, thanks for your blocker analysis. I haven't played with modern goaltending equipment, So not sure how blockers react to pucks now.

This is unconnected but Smith on the goal line goal, he's looking at puck but then looks away. Was he expecting a pass? Because it seemed by moving his head and mask sideways he allowed the bad bounce into the net. Its another reason why I like goalies to be more square to puck from such bad angles. Not faulting Smith at all, just that the shooter was going for one play there (only one he had) and got it. heh, that would piss off Smith anyways.

Brings out a facet of goaltending in which superstition plays a role. This was a poor % attempt that couldn't be replicated often. But somehow it worked. Goalies are so subject to those kind of bad breaks that they need to have the mental tenacity to shake off. Because theres games where it seems everything goes wrong.

I once own goaled in Soccer while attempting to clear the ball out of danger past the goal line. The ball instead hugged inside the post, and in. Cruel fate. To this day I don't know how that went in. I was aiming far away from the posts, but probably only got part of the ball on the kick, squibbed) I think it even had spin on it. Being not confident enough in Soccer it deep sixed my game. I liked Soccer, but as a youth I had trouble getting past that one. I became a goalie for awhile after that but only position I played subsequently. That one instant wrecked me in soccer for playing midfield.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Gregor got that hot take from his sources.

Drai pushed off a defender, in 3rd period, in what was interference, to create a breakaway and got away with it. Pretty clear penalty but the superstars can also take license, and are realizing it. May as well cheat as opponents cheat defending you. Seems like the zebras decide to make no calls in such encounters.

Anyway that Drai got that breakaway, and no call on it is good news heading into the playoffs as we're guaranteed to see that move again from Drai who is strong enough to just shake off coverage.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Drai pushed off a defender, in 3rd period, in what was interference, to create a breakaway and got away with it. Pretty clear penalty but the superstars can also take license, and are realizing it. May as well cheat as opponents cheat defending you. Seems like the zebras decide to make no calls in such encounters.

Anyway that Drai got that breakaway, and no call on it is good news heading into the playoffs as we're guaranteed to see that move again from Drai who is strong enough to just shake off coverage.
Also our PK looks good now so the team shouldn't be afraid of bending the rules for an advantage. I don't want us to be the victim of reffing like in 2017

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
So do we go back to Koskinen Saturday or give Stalock a try?
Sounded like Tippett said there is zero chance he will play unless an emergency. He hasn't played a game since last fall. So consider him a Zamboni driver for this season.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
All Goalies have bad games. Unfortunately, for Koskinen, last game was a doozy for him.
But it's mental game of picking yourself up and getting on that horse.
It happened, not going to kick him while his down, and really want him have a great game the next time he starts.
I believe his teammates have his back, and we should too.
Might as well get these bad games out of the way now before the playoffs.
# Glad for the McPoints
# Grateful for the team to be in the playoffs
As you were one of the posters on here (that I can recall) that was more than okay when Chia gave him that outrageous contract, I can see why you want everyone to lay off of him.;)

Saying that, we need him to play better so our true #1 gets some much needed rest.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
As you were one of the posters on here (that I can recall) that was more than okay when Chia gave him that outrageous contract, I can see why you want everyone to lay off of him.;)

Saying that, we need him to play better so our true #1 gets some much needed rest.

Lol No, I thought the contract was a overpay and still do. But I did support Koskinen last year so you might be remembering that and it's not wrong to want a player to live up to his contract.
So, please don 't project my support of Koskinen as a player to Chia's incompetence as a GM which he litterally got fired after he signed Koskinen.
He was signed, waste of time worrying about the $$$ because we literally have no control over.
A testament of someones character is how they treat others when they are at their lowest. We know how it felt in the decade of darkness. If us, the fans, can pick each other up, we can do that with the players that wear the oil too.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
A Covid complicated goalie will not become a backup in front of a guy who’s had an excellent season.

Y’all may be willing to let recency bias cloud your judgment but I assure you Tippett will not.

There's nothing recent about .900, that's the entire season.

Koskinen has been downright bad 50% of the time the entire season. Not 0.00% bad of course, but a full half of his games he is a significant factor in the game in a bad way. Letting in the first shot has become his thing. Rarely has he been notably good, we've just learned to be satisfied with mediocre from him. His stock has fallen from "probably not a starter" last year to "probably not a backup" this season.

But most importantly, I think if Koski goes into the net in the playoffs it would kill the team confidence and change the way they play. You bring in Stalock largely because he's a fresh face who might put up .900 anyway but at least for a few games the team can believe they have a chance with him.

Reactions: bellagiobob

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
That's what Koskinen is as well. The only reason the guy makes any saves is because sometimes he actually fills the net like a 6'7 goaltender should. He has close to 0 atheleticism and handles the puck like a toddler.

... no anticipation, he reads the play slowly and reads shooters not at all. For sure his game is based on hoping the puck hits him. The one thing he does well is really make me appreciate Mike Smith by comparison, who just moves so much better and always on top of the shot as it's developing.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I'd like to know how much Koskinen was asking for before agreeing to $4.5M/season. Chiarelli and the management group deserve a lot of criticism for the contract, but that wouldn't have been their first offer. Weren't the two sides talking for about a month? Which would put negotiations beginning around Christmas.

Debut until Christmas 2018: 11-5-1, .925 SV%, 2.34 GAA, 3 shutouts

Christmas 2018 until contract signed: 3-5-0, .875 SV%, 3.90 GAA

Christmas 2018 to today: 44-41-8, .906 SV%, 3.03 GAA, 2 shutouts

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Fans like yourself still wanting more and just wishing ill will on him might run out of tears if you have to spend another year wanting him to be a starter, or worth 4.5M
We’re Oiler fans. We never run out of tears.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'd like to know how much Koskinen was asking for before agreeing to $4.5M/season. Chiarelli and the management group deserve a lot of criticism for the contract, but that wouldn't have been their first offer. Weren't the two sides talking for about a month?

iHNc2M.gif

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'd like to know how much Koskinen was asking for before agreeing to $4.5M/season. Chiarelli and the management group deserve a lot of criticism for the contract, but that wouldn't have been their first offer. Weren't the two sides talking for about a month? Which would put negotiations beginning around Christmas.

I suppose Chiarelli was seeing the coming cap crunch and was gambling that Koskinen's stats would improve instead of regress. 4.5 AAV is a great deal for a starter. So it definitely cares the stink of Chiarelli lashing out desperately to salvage things. The right contract would have been a short extension to get better data on him.

Reactions: Del Preston

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Pretty sure they had a bad cell connection, and when Chia asked his agent what they were looking for, all he heard was 4,5, and missed the part about that being the total for a two year deal. When Chia said okay to 4.5 per year, the agent paused, did a few fist pumps, and happily agreed, even named his new dog Chia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad