Post-Game Talk: You get a blown lead! You get a blown lead! Everyone gets a blown lead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Babcock was spot on in the post game presser. This loss wasn't on the rookies, and it wasn't on Andersen. It was due to botched assignments by our veterans and some questionable officiating.

It's worth noting that we are not even close to executing properly yet on both sides of the puck on a consistent basis and we still could have easily won every game we've played, and have earned points in all but one road game.

We will improve in the other facets of the game and when we do, the OT/SO losses will turn into regulation wins.

Perspective.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Babcock is making excuses big time. Take some responsibility

Shanahan failed to get any defensive stability on this team.

Cant believe they assembled a team that chokes harder than the last.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Well it's been 5 games into our "play the kids" season. Clearly it's not working and it's time to make some wholesale changes.

Trade Bozak, trade JVR, and don't allow any D other than Rielly and Zaitsev on the ice in the last 5 minutes if we are leading.

Clearly Andersen isn't working out, so let's give Enroth an extended run while we look to unload Freddie.

Let's mix up the lines so that, oh I don't know why, let's just mix em up.

While we're at, I think Dubas is ready, so let's get rid of Lou and his oldness.

Babcock can stay for a bit, but if he keeps playing some of the guys that are on the roster, maybe it's time to rethink him as well.

I mean c'mon, we rebuilt, why aren't we winning more?

Think I covered it all. #ivebeenpatientenough

Is this sarcasm? It's so hard tell over the internet.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Any system that ranks the Canes and us 4th and 5th best in the league certainly is flawed

Are you trying to be obtuse? It's not a ranking of the best teams in the league. It's a ranking of best shot attempt differential. It's hard for me to imagine how our system could be "garbage" when we're doing so well there. The team is bad for reasons beyond possession. No one would ever claim that's the sole measuring stick for a team. But possession is something coaches systems have big impacts on and we look good in that regard.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Thanks, I didn't know the season was over already. Bums didn't even develop throughout this season.

Sep 18, 2009

Didn't realize we were making the cup run this year

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Not surprised. Already 5 games in and people want Babcock fired, lol. What is he suppose to do with 6 rookies on the team and a bottom 5 defense? Let's just hope our key players develop this year and we upgrade our defense soon. Not impressed at all with Rielly, Gardiner, Carrick, and Hunwick's defensive play as of late.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Its rather sad how much over reaction there is here. We weren't making the playoffs, we aren't contending for a few years. Last year it took vets about 10 games to look normal in Babcocks system (imo) and now we have 6 rookies in the line up...

The expectations don't line up for what this team is versus what some of you expect. Sure Andersen has had some issues, but does it matter that much in the long term (2 or 3 years from now). Not likely. He is an extremely talented goalie. It will get sorted soon.

Win or lose this will be an excellent year. We have elite talent on the team and now they need to figure things out, which means a lot of mistakes.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
Its rather sad how much over reaction there is here. We weren't making the playoffs, we aren't contending for a few years. Last year it took vets about 10 games to look normal in Babcocks system (imo) and now we have 6 rookies in the line up...

The expectations don't line up for what this team is versus what some of you expect. Sure Andersen has had some issues, but does it matter that much in the long term (2 or 3 years from now). Not likely. He is an extremely talented goalie. It will get sorted soon.

Win or lose this will be an excellent year. We have elite talent on the team and now they need to figure things out, which means a lot of mistakes.

Very good post. I hope the other posters do not step back from the edge.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario

its a really good thing that management decisions aren't made by fans, I could only imagine the spot we would be in

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Well it's been 5 games into our "play the kids" season. Clearly it's not working and it's time to make some wholesale changes.

Trade Bozak, trade JVR, and don't allow any D other than Rielly and Zaitsev on the ice in the last 5 minutes if we are leading.

Clearly Andersen isn't working out, so let's give Enroth an extended run while we look to unload Freddie.

Let's mix up the lines so that, oh I don't know why, let's just mix em up.

While we're at, I think Dubas is ready, so let's get rid of Lou and his oldness.

Babcock can stay for a bit, but if he keeps playing some of the guys that are on the roster, maybe it's time to rethink him as well.

I mean c'mon, we rebuilt, why aren't we winning more?

Think I covered it all. #ivebeenpatientenough

I'm curious, how long of an extended run would you give Enroth?

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto

Heh, it's an improvement from last year, as this year we can actually choke. Last season, we lost before the the first period was even over.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
It's hard to have nice things because it gets overshadowed by fans who lack perspective. 5 games into a season where players have yet to adjust to the coach's system...let's just ignore that a good number of the players this season are all playing their first full NHL season. Apparently that's not at all an important or relevant detail. Drafting first overall doesn't automatically mean we are going to play ourselves out of the basement. It also doesn't mean that one first overall is going to somehow fast forward the development of every other young player in our lineup. Anyone with realistic expectations would not be surprised that this would be a season of fun games to watch but that would also be coupled with witnessing growing pains along the way. We have a forward core that is proving why we've all been excited to see them graduate to the league. We have some D prospects that will take more time to mature, and even then, I'm not sure we have anything as reliable as what we have in Matthews, Marner and Nylander. There's still work to be done but you don't mortgage your future for short term help - especially for a team who isn't going to be competing for playoffs, let along the Cup.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Losing is the best thing for this group of talented kids. You learn from losses.
If they were walking over their opponents now they would be in for a rude awakening when the season is in full swing and teams are playing for their playoff lives.
Losses now will create a long term winning culture.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

Alright then so how many games this year until the vets look normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino