You could be issued a penalty if you lose a challenge

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Get rid of "the call on the ice." It's just a cop out. When there is a coach's challenge, Toronto should make the call based on their camera angles. Forget what the ref's initial call was. They don't have the camera angles and can't slow down footage, etc

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
How does this affect scoring?? Along with this and slashing penalties, will we have more than one 100 point scorer next year?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
At first I thought this was a terrible idea that failed to acknowledge the subjective nature of these calls, but now that I think about it, the objective here is clear, and this solution would absolutely address it.

It seems like the aim is similar to the aim of the puck over the glass rule. On the surface, it looks like it's a rule meant to punish players purposefully putting the puck over the glass, but in reality it's just meant to discourage the play that leads to that outcome.

Similarly, here, it appears on the surface that this would be a rule designed to punish coaches for nuisance challenges, but the real goal here would be to discourage close/contentious challenges, thereby removing the problem of lengthy delays. And while some people might have an issue with a step back from the sentiment of "getting it right," this really is more in-keeping with the spirit of the challenge when it was brought in. It's meant to be about the Duchene goal, not the "did he lift his skate off the ice a millisecond before the edge of the puck crossed the blue line?" goal. And a rule such as this would ensure that the only challenges would be plays where they already know it's going to be overturned, and quickly, which is exactly the category that the Duchene goal fits into.

So, for offside challenges, I like the idea.

For goaltender interference, however, I think it would be a big mistake. It's not black and white like offside, and there have been instances where many fans think a call should obviously be overturned, but it isn't.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
In principle I like the idea since it's meant to cut down on the BS challenges that coaches use to give their players a rest.

In practice, this will screw a lot of teams because the ruling is so inconsistent (or consistently bad, if you will).

And for those who aren't aware, Colin Campbell has stated this is only for the off-side challenge, not the goaltending interference challenge.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In principle I like the idea since it's meant to cut down on the BS challenges that coaches use to give their players a rest.

In practice, this will screw a lot of teams because the ruling is so inconsistent (or consistently bad, if you will).

And for those who aren't aware, Colin Campbell has stated this is only for the off-side challenge, not the goaltending interference challenge.

In that case, I'm on board. What you say is correct, and because even if you think you're right, you could be wrong, this would eliminate all but the most obvious challenges.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Is this idea coming from Colin Campbell? The fact that this guy still has a say in the game is quite concerning.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
This would be stupid. Why have a challenge then? You can challenge but we'll punish you if your wrong and even if you're right but we screw up and say it's wrong.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
That would be an improvement over what we have now but it would be even better if they just got rid of the challenge completely. What does it matter if a guy is an inch into the zone too early? Who cares if the guy's skate is on the ice or not? If they couldn't catch it in real time chances are it didn't make a difference anyway. This is not what they had in mind when they wrote the offside rule.

Anything to discourage these challenges is a welcome development for me. I'd rather have all bad calls stand than have to watch another Hail Mary thrown out there.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
If it's just for offside and if it's determined by Toronto, I think it would be ok. I'd still worry that it would be used to favor certain teams but I don't mind a rule that encourages coaches to only challenge offside calls when they're clearly wrong.

I don't want them punishing a coach for challenging goalie interference bc the NHL itself is so inconsistent in how it calls GI that I don't think anyone has a clear idea of what exactly counts. Toronto needs to fix that ASAP and long before they punish coaches for bad GI challenges. I agree with whomever said that they should take that away from the on-ice officials and have Toronto automatically review all goals and decide if there was GI or any other infraction (e.g., hitting above the bar).

Soble

Jan 12, 2012
Toronto
They were finally on the right track to using one of my ideas but failed in the details, it seems.

Keep it as is - you challenge and lose, your time out goes bye bye. However, if you have NO timeout, you can STILL challenge a play but if you are wrong, THEN you get a penalty. This prevents the embarrassment of an obvious blunder that can't be challenged because the team doesn't have their timeout for whatever reason.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Just make offsides non-reviewable. The handful of times it's so close that the linesmen get it wrong are not a big deal.

I'm for this and I'm actually for the linesmen to have a bit more allowance in their subjectivity/judgement in their role of calling offsides:

- Player is doing his best to straddle the line skating parallel to the blue line yet has his front foot in the offensive zone, but his back foot is up. That play should be allowed to continue

- Defensive players interfering/pushing (accidental or otherwise) an offensive guy into the zone before the puck enters- that play should also be permitted

For me it's about the spirit of the rule vs the letter of it. What kind of advantage is being gained in either of those scenarios above?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Is this idea coming from Colin Campbell? The fact that this guy still has a say in the game is quite concerning.

Yep.

on the topic of the challenge/review....just get rid of them. they're useless if they can't justify the call on the ice. maybe either have refs explain calls after games or have review behind closed doors on serious stuff and leave the coaches out of it.

in my experience review is just aggravating and makes the sport seem unfair at times.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Then you don't challenge those close calls, and live with whatever happens. Which is what everyone has been complaining about to do.

If the 2 minute penalty doesn't cut down on the challenges, hopefully the league will make it a double minor for a failed challenge. Better yet, make it a 5 minute major. That would seriously cut down on the coaches abusing the technology.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Yes, this will cut down on coaches almost automatically asking for goalie interference review on every goal late in the game..Still, get rid of offside review too, it's not needed.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I see the logic but it's a bad idea. So you get a goal scored on you where the vast majority of people would say there was goalie interference. The refs/Toronto don't see it that way (as they often do), and not only did you just get scored on but now you have to kill a penalty because you had the audacity to question the call on the ice. A move that is completely within a coach's rights to do could be penalized if the review crew disagrees with them. Nah. This is not the answer.

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
WAHHHH! I put a stupid rule in place and now guys have found a way to use it to their advantage because of the vague, incomprehensible wording and application.
Now, instead of fixing the problem, I'm going to punish those bad guys who make me look dumb.
And by the way, speaking of the rule book, there is a new rule I want you to enforce. It's called slashing. Oh you mean it's already in the rule book? Well, then for the first 2 months of the season, call it a bunch and then forget about it.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Just automatic review all goals in Toronto.
They get a fixed time limit, and if can't determine cause to overturn inside that time limit - call on the ice stands.

You make it 90-120s,and it'll be barely noticeable on game flow. Plus on the vast majority of confirmed good goals, you get double celebration fan reaction.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Let's have the NHL get the easy calls correct before punishing coaches for using a tool given to them (that was never needed in the first place). The NHL has such trouble making good decisions.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
With how bad the review process has been who is going to risk getting a penalty? I guess really late in the game if it looks like you are going to lose anyways it might be worth the risk but otherwise they might as well have just gotten rid of the challenges entirely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad