You are the GM: You got 5 moves....

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
1: is an overpayment
2: St. Louis is going for the cup, they are not interested in quantity for quality.
3:Washington will never do that.
4: does not apply if 3 doesnt happen
5: no ty.
now you have 2 rookies as our second pairing. They are going to be eaten alive.

that's about the nicest way to shut down those awful trades.

my goodness.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Condra + Borowiecki for Goc + Shore

Prince/Puempel + Pick for Ehrhoff

Cowen + Driedger for Simmonds

Greening for Martinez + Pick

Da Costa for Pick/Prospect

Michalek - Spezza - Simmonds
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Conacher - Goc - Zibanejad
Shore - Smith - Neil
Grant, Kassian

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Erhoff
Martinez - Gryba
Phillips

Lehner
Anderson

EatPrayHockey

Oct 30, 2013
LA, CA
Threads like this are too much fun to pass up. However, I do like my hypothetical trades to operate within a hypothetical universe somewhat close to our own. My armchair GM-ing below is meant to stay within Euge's internal cap, while making moves that I legitimately feel could possibly happen. The latter is of course somewhat subjective...

1. OTT/PHI: Michalek for Simmonds
I'd float this to Holmgren and see if he bites. He's pressed for cap space, and Milo's expiring contract would give him that. If Milan winds up contributing, it probably wouldn't be hard to sign him to a more agreeable deal.

In return, the Sens pick up young forward with grit and heart. Mac could deploy him in a variety of lines and situations.

This move would also lessen the Sens payroll by ~$358,333 this season. They'd only wind up paying more than they were for Michalek in years 5-6 of Simmonds' contract. I think Euge would be up for that.

2. OTT/NYR: Conacher, pick package for Del Zotto
If the rumors of Del Zotto being on the block are true, I think rolling the dice on him is a better option than most other D-men available. It's a contract year for him, so if he doesn't pan out then it's a short marriage and you have some cash for free agency (unlike Cowen). The upside would be nice though, should he pan out and Murray re-signs him. He's young, so hopefully he'd make packaging a pick worth it.

As for Conacher, I'm not sold on him at all. I'd flip him like we did with Bishop and throw him into any trade that he could help with. I'd listen to the Rangers if they wanted a different prospect, though.

3. Keep Anderson OFF the block
Until the Sens stop giving up 50+ shots regularly, they're going to need 2 outstanding netminders sharing the load. Otherwise, it'll be a goalie burnout. If injury strikes Lehner after dealing Andy then you're truly screwed. Until the Sens have a legit #2 waiting in the wings, hold on to #41.

4. Start kicking tires on Spezza
If I make this move, I don't do it until the deadline. He'd be much more valuable to a contender, and by then you'll have more clubs throwing in the towel and willing to deal. But for now, I'd start placing calls and letting people know that Spez might be available for a certain price. Plant the seed.

5. Sit tight and work with the kids
Let the B-Sens carousel continue, seeing if kids like Stone, JGP, and Puempel can stick during a lighter November schedule. Don't forget new kids like Ceci and Lazar could be ready for some big boy minutes in a season or two.

With that said, here's what my fictional Sens look like:

ZBad - Spezza - Simmonds
Greening - Smith - Grant
Neil - JGP - Condra

Karlsson - Methot
Del Zotto - Borocop
Phillips - Gryba/Corvo

Andy - Lehner​

So... how ****ing crazy am I?

Last edited by a moderator:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
1. Michalek 3rd fringe prospect for hossa
2. absolutely nothing for heatley ( pay whatever for a personal trainer for heatley)
3. smith, next years 1st and greening to Colorado for o reilly
4. neil for nothing
5. Philips for nothing

hossa-spezza-heatley
macarthur-turris-ryan
conacher-oreilly-zibanejad
condra-pageau-hoffman/stone/grant/prince

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Threads like this are too much fun to pass up. However, I do like my hypothetical trades to operate within a hypothetical universe somewhat close to our own. My armchair GM-ing below is meant to stay within Euge's internal cap, while making moves that I legitimately feel could possibly happen. The latter is of course somewhat subjective...

1. OTT/PHI: Michalek for Simmonds
I'd float this to Holmgren and see if he bites. He's pressed for cap space, and Milo's expiring contract would give him that. If Milan winds up contributing, it probably wouldn't be hard to sign him to a more agreeable deal.

In return, the Sens pick up young forward with grit and heart. Mac could deploy him in a variety of lines and situations.

This move would also lessen the Sens payroll by ~$358,333 this season. They'd only wind up paying more than they were for Michalek in years 5-6 of Simmonds' contract. I think Euge would be up for that.

2. OTT/NYR: Conacher, pick package for Del Zotto
If the rumors of Del Zotto being on the block are true, I think rolling the dice on him is a better option than most other D-men available. It's a contract year for him, so if he doesn't pan out then it's a short marriage and you have some cash for free agency (unlike Cowen). The upside would be nice though, should he pan out and Murray re-signs him. He's young, so hopefully he'd make packaging a pick worth it.

As for Conacher, I'm not sold on him at all. I'd flip him like we did with Bishop and throw him into any trade that he could help with. I'd listen to the Rangers if they wanted a different prospect, though.

3. Keep Anderson OFF the block
Until the Sens stop giving up 50+ shots regularly, they're going to need 2 outstanding netminders sharing the load. Otherwise, it'll be a goalie burnout. If injury strikes Lehner after dealing Andy then you're truly screwed. Until the Sens have a legit #2 waiting in the wings, hold on to #41.

4. Start kicking tires on Spezza
If I make this move, I don't do it until the deadline. He'd be much more valuable to a contender, and by then you'll have more clubs throwing in the towel and willing to deal. But for now, I'd start placing calls and letting people know that Spez might be available for a certain price. Plant the seed.

5. Sit tight and work with the kids
Let the B-Sens carousel continue, seeing if kids like Stone, JGP, and Puempel can stick during a lighter November schedule. Don't forget new kids like Ceci and Lazar could be ready for some big boy minutes in a season or two.

With that said, here's what my fictional Sens look like:

ZBad - Spezza - Simmonds
Greening - Smith - Grant
Neil - JGP - Condra

Karlsson - Methot
Del Zotto - Borocop
Phillips - Gryba/Corvo

Andy - Lehner​

Like it but missing Cowen I believe

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Conacher-Spezza-Zibanejad
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Smith-Condra
Hoffman/DZ-Grant-Neil

Cowen-Karlsson
Ehrhoff-Methot
Phillips-Corvo/Gryba

1. Call up Hoffman or Dziurzynski
2. Trade Wiercioch + Greening for Ehrhoff

Two moves, beat that. :p:

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
1. Turris to Nashville for Mike Fisher
2. Spezza and Zibanejad to Boston for Chara and Kelly
3. Ryan to Chicago for Hossa
4. Michalek to Phoenix for Vermette
5. Anderson to Minnesota for Heatley

Bonus: Sign Redden to a two-year $13M contract with a NTC!

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
1. Trade spezza and michalek for crosby
2. Trade condra and a 2015 first round pick for zybnek michalek
3. Trade anderson + 2013 2nd pick for wayne simmonds
4. Call up Pageau
5. Sign bryzgalov as a backup

:laugh:

You REALLY think the Pittsburgh Penguins would trade the best player in the game for two VERY injury-prone players?

Let's break it down:

Michalek (28 years old, been injured 4 of the past 5 seasons)- 0.54 career Points per game.

Spezza (30, only been healthy 1 of past 4 seasons) - 1.02 C/PPG

Crosby (26, still plenty of time in his prime) - 1.42 C/PPG

-------------------------------

Essentially, Pittsburgh would take on Michalek's $4.3M cap hit for him to what...play on their third line? Aside from that, who on earth would swap the best player in the game for Jason Spezza?

Not trolling, just questioning.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
1. Trade Spezza for whatever you can get, because his value will drastically decline in the next 1-3 seasons (depending on injury). I would like to see Spezza for T. Ruutu, Elias Lindholm, and a mid-round pick from Carolina.

2. Reduce Chris Neil's role. He can either be a role player (a la Steve Ott), or a fighter. But at age 34, he can't be both. Either make him a legitimate checker or turn him into a fighter. Either way, his usefulness is nearly gone.

3. This is the defense I rated C+ in my season preview and got hate for...well look who's having the last laugh with everyone here freaking out! The defense isn't an issue, young guys like Borowiecki, Gryba, Cowen just need to be given proper time to develop in the NHL. Perhaps ushering Chris Phillips into retirement wouldn't hurt...

4. Find some legitimate secondary scoring. A player like Tomas Fleischmann, or bargain-basement Jannik Hansen. Despite how cute their hardwork is, the Condra's and Greening's and even Conacher's simply aren't putting up the points required from role players on a championship team. Even Elias Lindholm from the Canes would be a good complimentary scorer.

5. Trade Anderson because well...his trade value will decrease with each season and you want to avoid a Luongo-Schneider-esque situation. Lehner has clearly proven he is ready to be an NHL starter. Give him an opportunity. Sign some random veteran for less than 1.5M.

2014-15 Sens

Ryan - Turris - Michalek
Zibanejad - T. Ruutu - Hansen
MacArthur - Lindholm - Conacher
Condra - Smith - Neil

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Methot
Borowiecki - Gryba

Lehner
Clemmensen

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Essentially, Pittsburgh would take on Michalek's $4.3M cap hit for him to what...play on their third line? Aside from that, who on earth would swap the best player in the game for Jason Spezza?

Not trolling, just questioning.
A former 35 goal scorer and an elite C for an eliter C with concussion history

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
ZBad - Spezza - Simmonds
Greening - Smith - Grant
Neil - JGP - Condra

Karlsson - Methot
Del Zotto - Borocop
Phillips - Gryba/Corvo

Andy - Lehner​

looks good but simmond might cost a bit more then that and michalek might not be what they want. Also i still think the d is a little weak

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
A former 35 goal scorer and an elite C for an eliter C with concussion history

*former, which was one season which Michalek has never even come close to matching.

They already have James Neal to be a 35-goal winger!

Right, because Spezza's injury past is squeaky-clean.

Are you seriously making the argument that Spezza and Crosby are near the same calibre? The PPG speaks for itself...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
1. Trade Spezza for whatever you can get, because his value will drastically decline in the next 1-3 seasons (depending on injury). I would like to see Spezza for T. Ruutu, Elias Lindholm, and a mid-round pick from Carolina.

Zm7pbKO.gif

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I would trade Anderson, Michalek and Spezza while they still have value.

Realistically.

Spezza & Greening for Ristolainen & Girgensons

Michalek for Michalek (Phoenix)

Anderson +4th for Okposo & Poulin

Conacher-Turris-Ryan

MacArthur-Zibanejad-Okposo

Girgensons-Pageau-Stone

Condra-Smith-Neil(Grant)

Michalek-Karlsson

Cowen-Methot

Ristolainen-Corvo/Phillips/Wiercioch/Gryba

Lehner
Poulin

Then trade 1-2 of Corvo/Phillips/Wiercioch/Gryba for picks.

A rebuild year.

Textbook example of why no one from HF will ever come anywhere near personnel decisions on an NHL roster.

EatPrayHockey

Oct 30, 2013
LA, CA
looks good but simmond might cost a bit more then that and michalek might not be what they want. Also i still think the d is a little weak

I agree that Michalek may not be the answer to Philly's prayers on the ice, but unloading a cap hit of that size in the offseason if it doesn't work out may be enough to get Holmgren to consider it.

As for Simmonds, he's in the first year of a six-year contract that would pay him less per-year than Euge is currently paying Milo until years 5 and 6.

EatPrayHockey

Oct 30, 2013
LA, CA

Forgot to mention that. Yeah, it wouldn't be the strongest in the league, but this year is still about growth for the Sens. In DZ you'd hopefully get another young talent who'd make an impact and be able to grow with the team. Phillips is gone after this year, a void which hopefully you can fill with a better veteran D via free agency for a year or two until Ceci is ready to come up full-time.

DaigleFan

Oct 11, 2013
1. Sign Ivan Novoseltsev to a two-way contract
2. Trade Spezza for Jonathan Drouin.
3. Sign Ryan Keller to a one-way contract
4. Trade Gryba for Mike Brodeur
5. Trade Condra for Pat Cannone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad