You are the GM: You got 5 moves....

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
Euge called you on the phone in a panic and begged you to be the GM. He promised you that you can make up to 5 moves, any moves you want, to improve the team. He will take on any salary, allow you to trade any player etc etc.

What are your moves?

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
1. Spezza for a top 2 dman. His injuries worry me and they are already showing. Trade him while he has value.

2. Trade Michalek at the deadline for a pick and/or prospect. Call up Mark Stone.

3. Force Chris Neil into retirement.

4. Honey Badger does care about his ice time. Maclean doesn't like him and he deserves better. Package him with Spezza or trade him to a team that will appreciate him.

5. Give 3 A's to Karlsson, Turris, and Ryan. Let the youth have the team. Change of the guard.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
1. Spezza for a top 2 dman. His injuries worry me and they are already showing. Trade him while he has value.

2. Trade Michalek at the deadline for a pick and/or prospect. Call up Mark Stone.

3. Force Chris Neil into retirement.

4. Honey Badger does care about his ice time. Maclean doesn't like him and he deserves better. Package him with Spezza or trade him to a team that will appreciate him.

5. Give 3 A's to Karlsson, Turris, and Ryan. Let the youth have the team. Change of the guard.

1. Agree, but a prefer 1 round pick + a lot
2. Package Michalek with Greening + to trade for D and maybe one F, and do it today or tomorrow at the latest.
3. IMHO, :shakehead
4. I´d keep Badger, but made some bold trade. Cowen, Wiercioch, Condra, Andersson + some prospect are in possible mix. All depends on who coming back.
5. I´d give C to Ryan, A to Karlsson and Turris.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I would trade Anderson, Michalek and Spezza while they still have value.

Realistically.

Spezza & Greening for Ristolainen & Girgensons

Michalek for Michalek (Phoenix)

Anderson +4th for Okposo & Poulin

Conacher-Turris-Ryan

MacArthur-Zibanejad-Okposo

Girgensons-Pageau-Stone

Condra-Smith-Neil(Grant)

Michalek-Karlsson

Cowen-Methot

Ristolainen-Corvo/Phillips/Wiercioch/Gryba

Lehner
Poulin

Then trade 1-2 of Corvo/Phillips/Wiercioch/Gryba for picks.

A rebuild year.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Just a quickie 5-trade proposal I did to kill some time. Deals are hopefully somewhat realistic in value, though clearly not perfect and I'm probably way off due to lack of sleep, etc...

1. Three way deal!
- Ottawa sends to Edmonton: Anderson, Conacher, Gryba, 2014 2rd rounder
- Edmonton sends to Winnipeg: Nail Yakupov & Gryba (Oil flip him immediately to Jets)
- Winnipeg sends to Ottawa: Evander Kane & Nic Petan
(same day - sign Hedberg to back up Lehner for the rest of the year)

2. Wiercioch, Hoffman & fringe pick (5th/6th/whatever rounder) to Buffalo for Ehrhoff.

3. Michalek & Borowiecki to NY Rangers for Marc Staal

4. Greening to Minnesota for Jason Zucker & a 3rd rounder.

5. Phillips to Washington for Tom Wilson (deadline deal, McPhee trying to save his job)

Kane - Spezza - Zibanejad
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Zucker/ Pageau - Smith - Condra
Pageau/ Zucker - Grant - Neil/Wilson
(Lazar/ Petan/ Puempel/ Prince/ etc will push for a roster spot either next year or the following one, Wilson is long-term replacement for Neil)

Karlsson - Ehrhoff/Staal
Methot - Staal/Ehrhoff
Corvo - Cowen
(Ceci replaces Corvo longterm - if Ceci is not ready next year, just sign some ufa to play 6th D for a year as a placeholder for Ceci)

Lehner
Hedberg
(there are always halfway decent backup goalies available as UFAs to sign to replace Hedberg next year)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
1. Trade for Patrick Eaves.
2. Trade for Patrick Eaves.
3. Trade for Patrick Eaves.
4. Trade for Patrick Eaves.
5. Trade for Patrick Eaves.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
In addition to the fact that your scenario is grossly improbable you could have just said he was fired.

Which is more improbable, an unfortunate road accident or Murray actually getting fired...by Eugene Melnyk, his #1 admirer and best friend for life? I'll take "Unfortunate Road Accidents for $100" Alex.

1)I tell the team to tighten up its defensive play immediately. I'm blunt and explain that they don't have the defensive tools at the moment to survive being outshot that much.

2)Impress on Chris Neil that his act is wearing very thin and he can be traded and will be if he doesn't smarten up with the crosschecks to the face;

3)Have an absolutely frank talk with Spezza. Tell him his defensive laziness doesn't cut it and that the team follows his lead. Remind him he's perenially injured and that Kyle Turris looks really good right now;

4)This is going to sound crazy but...trade Phillips for a younger puck-moving "D" with decent defensive skills. Back to PHX for Rundblad? :laugh: Or maybe to Washington for Carlson etc...

5)Have a big talk with the whole team. Impress on them that if they miss the playoffs changes will be made. That some vet players will go and that no one's job is safe, not even mine.

Also, since it's likely Tim Murray getting this job, I swear. A LOT.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
1. Wiercioch + 2nd to Buffalo for Ehrhoff
2. Stone and Cowen to Washington for Carlson
3. Prince, Greening + 5th to NJ for Elias

Elias - Spezza - Zibanejad
Michalek - Smith - Condra
Hoffman - Pageau - Conacher

Neil, Kassian

Methot - Karlsson
Ehrhoff - Carlson
Borowiecki/Phillips - Gryba/Corvo

Anderson
Lehner

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Which is more improbable, an unfortunate road accident or Murray actually getting fired...by Eugene Melnyk, his #1 admirer and best friend for life? I'll take "Unfortunate Road Accidents for $100" Alex.

1)I tell the team to tighten up its defensive play immediately. I'm blunt and explain that they don't have the defensive tools at the moment to survive being outshot that much.

2)Impress on Chris Neil that his act is wearing very thin and he can be traded and will be if he doesn't smarten up with the crosschecks to the face;

3)Have an absolutely frank talk with Spezza. Tell him his defensive laziness doesn't cut it and that the team follows his lead. Remind him he's perenially injured and that Kyle Turris looks really good right now;

4)This is going to sound crazy but...trade Phillips for a younger puck-moving "D" with decent defensive skills. Back to PHX for Rundblad? :laugh: Or maybe to Washington for Carlson etc...

5)Have a big talk with the whole team. Impress on them that if they miss the playoffs changes will be made. That some vet players will go and that no one's job is safe, not even mine.

Also, since it's likely Tim Murray getting this job, I swear. A LOT.

forget it...

Last edited:

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I will post a timeline...

Immediately:
1. Trade for Stephan Robidas (Gryba + Pick)
2. Trade Michalek for Klesla (Phx)

Soon:
3. Call up Mark Stone when he is healthy

Deadline:
4. Trade for Jagr (picks and prospects)
5. Trade Condra, call up Hoffman

Coancher-Spezza-Stone
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Jagr
Greening-Smith-Neil
Kassian

Methot-Karlsson
Klesla-Phillips
Cowen-Robidas
Weircioch

Anderson
Lehner

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
1. Trade spezza and michalek for crosby
2. Trade condra and a 2015 first round pick for zybnek michalek
3. Trade anderson + 2013 2nd pick for wayne simmonds
4. Call up Pageau
5. Sign bryzgalov as a backup

Ryan-Crosby-Zibanejad
MacArthur-Turris-Simmonds
Greening-Smith-Concacher
Grant-Pageau-Neil

Michalek-Karlsson
Cowen-Corvo
Phillips-Weircioch

Lehner
Bryzgalov

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
1) Trade Spezza.
Honestly, I am getting tired of his half assed back checks. He has ZERO leadership qualities. He isn't even putting up points (Yes I know he has 8 goals, but most of them are tap ins or empty netters).

2)Get rid of Neil for a pick (Then call up Pageau <3)
He's just too slow. Takes WAY too many penalties, and is too slow.

3)Trade Anderson.
It's Lehners time.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
For now:

- somehow replace Neil with a younger physical forward. Kassian waived, Neil becomes the new Kassian and is scratched most games.
- somehow replace Phillips with a younger solid top 4 D. Phillips is moved down to #6 or 7 D.

At the deadline:

- if we're in contention for the playoffs, trade for a top 6 forward.
- if we're not, trade Michalek, Corvo, and see if Neil and Phillips are willing to move. Consider trading Anderson if return is worthwhile.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I would try and get Erhoff from Buffalo and possibly move Gryba, a forward, possibly someone like Petersson or Da Costa and a 2nd for him. They get two or three bodies, unload a bad contract and we get a true top 4.

I wouldn't move Wiercoch but if I had to for Erhoff I guess I would.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
He isn't even putting up points (Yes I know he has 8 goals, but most of them are tap ins or empty netters).

The dude has more points than games played. Only 22 players in the league can boast this. I've heard a lot of criticisms of Jason, but this takes the cake. You can't take away one of the things he does very well.

At the very least, scoring tap-ins mean he is driving the net and corralling loose pucks. If it was that easy, Michalek would have 10 goals.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
1.Trade Pumepel for Damon Severson
2.Convert spezza to a winger idk rather not trade him
3.Trade anderson for a top 4 dman
4.Convince Kyle Wellwood to come out of retirement shootouts faceoffs and doesn't take penalties
5.Trade Schieder for Reece Scarlett

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Get rid of Phillips ( some how )
Get rid of Neil ( for picks )
Trade Anderson and a Early pick for a backup and a top 4 Defensive Defence-men
Tell Pmac, He cant play scrubs on Spezza's line
Come out and Say Zibby should be a winger, due to our center depth and not be arrogant on developing him as a center

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I like how this thread completely ignores NMC/NTC. This isn't NHL 14. Spezza is not going to wave his NTC, and asking him to do so will cause a **** storm.

Capgeek.com is your friend when being an armchair GM.

Anybody who says trade Anderson at the deadline is insane. Ottawa has two supposed starting goalies for the price of one. Goaltender depth is a huge advantage.

The only way Anderson should be traded at the deadline is if somebody offers a king's ransom for him.

Trading Anderson at the draft/off season makes sense.

Assuming the team is in contention for the playoffs, the only deadline move that is a bit ballsy, but would make sense would be moving Michalek. This is only if they don't plan on re-signing him, or are not confident that they could afford him as a UFA. I could see the top 6 being Conacher/Spezza/Z-bad, and MacArthur/Turris/Ryan. Somebody is bound to be in a situation where they are buying, even if Michalek is having an underwhelming season.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
1. To Florida: Conacher, Filatov, Condra & SDC
To Ottawa: Tomas Fleischmann LW

2. To St Louis: Puempel, Wiercioch & JOB
To Ottawa: Chris Stewart RW

3. To Washington: Anderson
To Ottawa: Tom Wilson RW

4. To Annahiem: 2014 2nd rd pick & Hoffman
To Ottawa: Victor Fasth G or Jonas Hiller G

5. To Nashville: Neil
To Ottawa: Paul Guastad C

Fleischmann - Spezza - Stewart
Z. Smith - Zibanejad - Stone
Greening - Guastad - Wilson/Kassian

Methot - Karlsson
Boroweicki - Ceci
Cowen - Gryba/Phillips

Lehner - Hiller

OR just one big trade:

To Nashville: Spezza, Phillips, Condra & Neil (throw in Conacher & Filatov, if needed)
To Ottawa; Weber, Legwand & Gaustad

Michalek - Legwand - Zibanejad
Z. Smith - Grant - Stone
Greening - Guastad - Robinson/Kassian

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Weber
Wiercioch - Gryba/Boroweicki

Lehner - Anderson

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
1. To Florida: Conacher, Filatov, Condra & SDC
To Ottawa: Tomas Fleischmann LW

2. To St Louis: Puempel, Wiercioch & JOB
To Ottawa: Chris Stewart RW

3. To Washington: Anderson
To Ottawa: Tom Wilson RW

4. To Annahiem: 2014 2nd rd pick & Hoffman
To Ottawa: Victor Fasth G or Jonas Hiller G

5. To Nashville: Neil
To Ottawa: Paul Guastad C

Fleischmann - Spezza - Stewart
Z. Smith - Zibanejad - Stone
Greening - Guastad - Wilson/Kassian

Methot - Karlsson
Boroweicki - Ceci
Cowen - Gryba/Phillips

Lehner - Hiller

OR just one big trade:

To Nashville: Spezza, Phillips, Condra & Neil (throw in Conacher & Filatov, if needed)
To Ottawa; Weber, Legwand & Gaustad

Michalek - Legwand - Zibanejad
Z. Smith - Grant - Stone
Greening - Guastad - Robinson/Kassian

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Weber
Wiercioch - Gryba/Boroweicki

Lehner - Anderson

1: is an overpayment
2: St. Louis is going for the cup, they are not interested in quantity for quality.
3:Washington will never do that.
4: does not apply if 3 doesnt happen
5: no ty.
now you have 2 rookies as our second pairing. They are going to be eaten alive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad