You are the GM thread....Trade Deadline 2024

Rodu58

Nov 12, 2017
I'm not sure Risto is moveable with his contract
Doubt any takers for Staal
Walker has interest, maybe even Seeler, but is anyone on the farm ready to step up if we move both?
Hart is probably a summer move, Ersson is not yet starter

Who else is on expiring contracts?

Reactions: Curufinwe

FanForLife

Oct 27, 2018
Winnipeg
Currently? No. Although to put that in perspective, was McDavid better than Crosby year one?

As a prospect/potential wise? Not even in the same conversation. As prospect, Michkov is literally a child prodigy. His hypotheitical ceiling is to surpass the last Russian prodigy Ovechkin as the best Russian to play in the league. There is obviously no guarentee he hits his ceiling, but given his age relative production so far he is still currently living up to the prodigy status. So... in 2 seasons if michkov is not better than Giroux was at his peak... I will eat my own shoe. Not really because shit happens, but wow would it be a disappointment. Prodigy don't happen often. To see the potential wasted would suck. The kid would have to decide he hates hockey give up. Giroux is/was great, but he was a decent sized step away from Crosby/Ovie in this era.

By acknowledging Michkov's potential I am not stating that I think he is a one man cup winner. If all goes well he will be superstar, but no superstar single handedly wins cups in this sport. Would Crosby have 3 cups without malkin & Letang? Would Patty Kane have 3 without Toews, Hossa, Sharp(still sad that he should of been flyer), Keith, & Seabrook?

I think the flyers need a legit second star by the time Michkov comes over. They are littered with top tier depth forwards, but I do not think they have a genuine star yet. The Backstrom to ovie. The malkin to Crosby. The Rantanen/Landeskog to Mackinnon. The point/Stamkos to Kucherov.

When looking at lineups of cup winning teams, more specifically cup winning teams since 2010 Most teams actually have a similarish build(Excluding the blues). 2-3 genuine star forwards(guys who finish top 5 maybe top 10 in points/goals/assists). Solid depth forwards, by depth I mean a few guys who could be great 2nd line players on any team, but are not full blown stars or guys who were once star 1st liners, but declined a bit due to age(Like Kadri, Compher, Karlsson, Barbarov, Justin Williams, Patrick sharp, Hossa, Jeff carter, Sadd, Palät, Gourde, Killorn, Oshie, Wilson). 1 to 2 number 1 caliber D-men(Pietrangelo, makar, Hedman, Sergachev, Carlson, Letang, Duncan Keith, Seabrook, Doughty, Chara). Overall solid D core that have more emphasis on defensive contribution than offensive excluding the number 1 D. Either a star goalie or a goalie who is on a heater.

The flyers have the goalies. They have the depth. Sanheim might be a number 1 guy. I'm not certain on that yet. 1 genuine star forward should be coming. They will likely need at least one more to fit the mold of a cup winner.
Well said. The "core" of three seems to be a common theme on cup winners past 15 years(a bit of variation, of course, but close) I'm seriously super curious where everyone thinks Coots fits into all this in 3 or 4 years. Almost the whole group of forwards mentioned as possible trade bait, but not him. From current trends, I'm convinced his health isn't going to hold up. Maybe playing, but definitely won't be top of his game...so...???????????????????? Just let him hang around?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Couts is only making $7.5M a year, and could be a solid 2C well into his 30s.
Cut his work load to 15-17 minutes and I think he can stay healthy and effective.
And he's the perfect veteran anchor for a young team - need a few of these guys in the clubhouse.

Reactions: MorgantiDrinksBlood

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Hart to the Leafs, take advantage of them.

Take back there shit goalie for cap reasons and then add a lot.

BlackandOrange

Jul 12, 2018
Breadalbane, PE
I try shopping Risto, Deslauriers, Hathaway, and Atkinson but find no takers as I am unwilling to eat cap.

Laughton gets moved based more on reputation than this season for a 2nd.

Clearing up the logjam on the backend is key. Sanheim, York, Drysdale, Risto will be staying.

Sell on Seeler and Walker. Bring up Attard and Emil A. If either struggles put in Belpido who played well when up. If everyone is healthy on the backend try moving Staal for next to nothing

Let's see what we have in house. Probably adding no real incoming pieces. But if we do, it would be by trying to unload some older prospects as well.

Try to buy low on Kappo Kakko.

Reactions: usahockey22flyers

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
I am not sure how much you valued Giroux, but he was a top ~10 player in the NHL at his peak. He was absolutely outstanding. The guy routinely was in the top ~15 in scoring, and finished in the top 3 in scoring in 3 or 4 seasons. A 36, he's still a topline left winger, near a ppg. The dude is insane.

There are lots of outcomes where Michkov doesn't turn into that top ~10 player where he's still considered a successful player. And to be clear, I think there is a real possibility that Michkov is a top 10 NHL player, guess Im just saying that I suggested not using the top end outcome as the only measuring stick. Obviously, you're free to do as you wish.
I value/ed Giroux a significant amount. He is/was a terrific player. That said he is not in the same tier as Crosby/Ovie.

Crosby & Ovie are 2 of the best to ever play the game. Giroux is kind of one of the best to ever do it too. Like obviously being top 100 in points all time is literally one of the 100 best to ever do it. But Ovie is 2nd in goals all time and Crosby is top 15 and will likely finish top 10 in points and assists. You could make a legit case Ovie is the greatest goal scorer of all time right now. If Crosby didn't Unless he plays till he is 45 like Jagr, Giroux probably will not finish top 10 in any category.

I hear you anything is possible. Hypotheitically Michkov could get hit by a train tomorrow and never play again. No guarentee he comes as billed. However, at this moment it is not an opinion that Michkov's prospect profile is that of a Crosby/Ovie tier player. That is what it is. Just as McDavid's prospect profile was also that of a Crosby/Ovie tier prospect. Bedard's prospect profile is also that of Crosby/ovie prospect. Despite the injury, I would say Bedard is currently living up to his profile, just as Michkov is.

Final food for thought. Ivan Demidov is widely considered a top 3 prospect for the upcoming draft. A number of sites actually have Demidov ranked 2nd. Demidov is playing quite well with 39 points in 22 games MHL. Electric talent with a very impressive skating and stick skills. IQ is good, but not his greatest strength. A cool 1.77 pts/gm in his draft year. Matvei Michkov scored 1.82 pts/gm in the same league. Barely better right? Except Michkov did this at age 16-17, while Demidov is doing it in his draft season at age 17-18.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I value/ed Giroux a significant amount. He is/was a terrific player. That said he is not in the same tier as Crosby/Ovie.

Crosby & Ovie are 2 of the best to ever play the game. Giroux is kind of one of the best to ever do it too. Like obviously being top 100 in points all time is literally one of the 100 best to ever do it. But Ovie is 2nd in goals all time and Crosby is top 15 and will likely finish top 10 in points and assists. You could make a legit case Ovie is the greatest goal scorer of all time right now. If Crosby didn't Unless he plays till he is 45 like Jagr, Giroux probably will not finish top 10 in any category.

I hear you anything is possible. Hypotheitically Michkov could get hit by a train tomorrow and never play again. No guarentee he comes as billed. However, at this moment it is not an opinion that Michkov's prospect profile is that of a Crosby/Ovie tier player. That is what it is. Just as McDavid's prospect profile was also that of a Crosby/Ovie tier prospect. Bedard's prospect profile is also that of Crosby/ovie prospect. Despite the injury, I would say Bedard is currently living up to his profile, just as Michkov is.

Final food for thought. Ivan Demidov is widely considered a top 3 prospect for the upcoming draft. A number of sites actually have Demidov ranked 2nd. Demidov is playing quite well with 39 points in 22 games MHL. Electric talent with a very impressive skating and stick skills. IQ is good, but not his greatest strength. A cool 1.77 pts/gm in his draft year. Matvei Michkov scored 1.82 pts/gm in the same league. Barely better right? Except Michkov did this at age 16-17, while Demidov is doing it in his draft season at age 17-18
I feel what you’re saying as well. And I hope Michkov turns into a top 5 NHL player. He’s performing in the KHL exceptionally well. I hope he’s a legit 100+ point player in the NHL and I believe there is a legit non-zero chance of that happening.

And this is a legit question, not just to you, but the entire board...has his prospect status been elevated to a generational player such as Crosby/Ovie outside of anyone in the Philadelphia media? Is he really as good of a prospect as McDavid and Bedard? I know very recently, the athletic named him as the 6th best prospect under 23. They placed him under the category as 'bubble elite NHL player and All Star'. I'm not saying that's right, but I am saying he's not viewed as a generational prospect by basically everyone. I just don't know if he's at that level of Crosby/Ovie/McDavid/Bedard prospect level.

And that's why I am saying, if he comes over and is an 80-90 point player, legit top line winger who can help the Flyers win a championship - that's still a successful outcome. Again, you can set the bar higher, and that's fine. I'm not saying you can't or that I even fault you for doing such. I'm just saying, my bar for a successful outcome is different. Not better or worse, just different.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Risto is negative value currently. He isn’t going anywhere. Same as Atkinson.

So for me it’s maximizing your value for:
Walker, Seeler, Hathaway, Poehling, Hart, in no particular order

Reactions: bennysflyers16

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I feel what you’re saying as well. And I hope Michkov turns into a top 5 NHL player. He’s performing in the KHL exceptionally well. I hope he’s a legit 100+ point player in the NHL and I believe there is a legit non-zero chance of that happening.

And this is a legit question, not just to you, but the entire board...has his prospect status been elevated to a generational player such as Crosby/Ovie outside of anyone in the Philadelphia media? Is he really as good of a prospect as McDavid and Bedard? I know very recently, the athletic named him as the 6th best prospect under 23. They placed him under the category as 'bubble elite NHL player and All Star'. I'm not saying that's right, but I am saying he's not viewed as a generational prospect by basically everyone. I just don't know if he's at that level of Crosby/Ovie/McDavid/Bedard prospect level.

And that's why I am saying, if he comes over and is an 80-90 point player, legit top line winger who can help the Flyers win a championship - that's still a successful outcome. Again, you can set the bar higher, and that's fine. I'm not saying you can't or that I even fault you for doing such. I'm just saying, my bar for a successful outcome is different. Not better or worse, just different.
We honestly don't know how much of a player he is until he gets out of Russia and can play against other competitors from around the world. Comparing him to Ovechkin doesn't work for me since the two are totally different types of players. Could he be a Crosby or Bedard type, time will tell. For me McDavid is in another category all together. He's a once in a lifetime type not merely generational. I doubt if Michkov is close to that level. However he may end up being a Pavel Bure and that's pretty darn good.

Reactions: VladDrag

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
We honestly don't know how much of a player he is until he gets out of Russia and can play against other competitors from around the world. Comparing him to Ovechkin doesn't work for me since the two are totally different types of players. Could he be a Crosby or Bedard type, time will tell. For me McDavid is in another category all together. He's a once in a lifetime type not merely generational. I doubt if Michkov is close to that level. However he may end up being a Pavel Bure and that's pretty darn good.
The comparison's to Ovechkin, in particular scoring pace, mean nothing to me as well. Mainly because Ovechkin is ~20 years older than Michkov, and every league (NHL, KHL, SHL, etc.) has changed.

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan

Final food for thought. Ivan Demidov is widely considered a top 3 prospect for the upcoming draft. A number of sites actually have Demidov ranked 2nd. Demidov is playing quite well with 39 points in 22 games MHL. Electric talent with a very impressive skating and stick skills. IQ is good, but not his greatest strength. A cool 1.77 pts/gm in his draft year. Matvei Michkov scored 1.82 pts/gm in the same league. Barely better right? Except Michkov did this at age 16-17, while Demidov is doing it in his draft season at age 17-18.

Not trying to be rude to any Flyers fan's on this board, I know a lot of people don't have the time to actually watch Michkov. If Michkov busts, I literally know nothing about hockey. I would say the chance of bust is less than 1%. He's almost as sure a thing as I've ever seen. The guy is just an unreal talent and the best prospect that I've ever watched in the Flyers organization. IF he comes we have a superstar, if he was Canadian he would have went #2, if he was a center, him and Bedard would have went down to the wire for #1. He's a #1 overall talent in a deep draft type of guy.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not trying to be rude to any Flyers fan's on this board, I know a lot of people don't have the time to actually watch Michkov. If Michkov busts, I literally know nothing about hockey. I would say the chance of bust is less than 1%. He's almost as sure a thing as I've ever seen. The guy is just an unreal talent and the best prospect that I've ever watched in the Flyers organization. IF he comes we have a superstar, if he was Canadian he would have went #2, if he was a center, him and Bedard would have went down to the wire for #1. He's a #1 overall talent in a deep draft type of guy.

I'm more worried about his health than his Hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad