You are the GM thread....Trade Deadline 2024

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I need a Dman gone ASAP. I want more Drysdale, the 7 D experiment needs to go. Walker to the highest bidder, Seeler next.

I'd call up Andrae and live with the bumps on the road

Trade:
Walker
Steeler
Staal??

Called Up:
Andrae
Belpedio or Mete - dealers choice to decide who is sitting in the press box most nights

Sanheim, Drysdale, York, Risto, Andrae, Zamula would be my 6.

Live and die with the inexperience.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I have a month before teams will get serious about giving me assets to make the playoffs (and in some cases, save their jobs). So I'm gonna play it by ear, I don't want to stick with 7 D-men playing, but it is keeping York and Drysdale from being overworked and maintaining the value of Walker and Seeler by not wearing them down (fresh legs makes them more valuable as rentals).

I'm watching LHV, Andrae doesn't seem ready yet, but Lycksell and Laczynski look like they could fill 4th line roles if I get a good offer for Laughton or Hathaway. And Attard has really come on the last month, can I live with a project (his defense) during a PO run?

I'm also talking to Poehling about an extension, but I won't overpay.

I'm looking for a real 3C, I'd like a player under 25, but I'll take a bad contract on a still useful veteran as part of a Walker/Seeler deal as a salary dump type move - think Filppula (solid 3rd who was forced into a 2C role). That would allow me to keep Cates at LW.

Outside of Walker/Seeler, no one else is a FA, so I can wait until June if they're on a PO heater.

tinycars

Nov 23, 2023
I really feel like we are only 1 goal-scorer away from being a legitimate team. I would not trade any defenseman other than Ristolainen (if you can find someone who wants him). I wouldn't trade Hart because I'm always wary of being high on young goalies since they often look good until their weaknesses are found out and teams have a better scouting report on them.

So if we can somehow get a scorer with just picks & prospects that would be ideal.

Reactions: Devonator

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
We need to trade at least one of Seeler, Walker, and Ristolainen. Preferably all of them, but that won't happen.

I doubt they move Laughton, but they should.

We need to not "buy" on a rental. If there's an obvious upgrade out there for a younger player with substantial upside, then sure, feel free to make the move.

I don't think Hart is a deadline deal. Maybe at the draft.

pooch

May 30, 2017
If they are still playing well and in a playoff spot, I would look to move Seeler or Walker....whoever gets the best return. I would also look to move Laughton.

If they stumble and are out of a playoff spot by the deadline, I would look to move Seeler, Walker, Laughton, Atkinson, ND, Hathaway, Risto, Staal and I'd listen on Hart and TK (but would need to be blown away).

Either way, I wouldn't mind resigning Poehling for no more than 2 years and 4th line money.

Reactions: eramosat

WolfOfBroadStreet14

Aug 15, 2020
I would move Walker for the best pick we can get, or somehow in a package for Lundell from Florida.

I’d also see what we could get for Cam at 50% retention. If nothing substantial revisit in summer.

I’d keep Seeler for the playoff run but not resign him.

I’d offer a two year extension for Poehling, max AAV 1.5.

I’d offer extension to Tippett. Anywhere from 4-6 years and 4.5 - 5.75 AAV.

Keep Staal as 7 D for playoff run unless he wants moved then move him wherever he wants for whatever we can get and call up Belpedio for 7 D.

Nothing for Hart until HC investigation results come out. If he’s not implicated then trade in the offseason.

Only players I’d be targeting are U24 centers and a potential top pair LD to move Sanheim to 2RD. That’s probably better suited for summer though.

I’d also try hard after Cozens but seems unrealistic.

Farabee Coots TK
Tippett Frost Foerester/Atkinson
Cates/Foerester Lundell/Poehling Brink
Cates/Poehling Laughton Hathaway
Nicky Des

Sanheim Drysdale
York Risto
Zamula Seeler
Staal
Belpedio

Ersson
Hart

I would move Walker for the best pick we can get, or somehow in a package for Lundell from Florida.

I’d also see what we could get for Cam at 50% retention. If nothing substantial revisit in summer.

I’d keep Seeler for the playoff run but not resign him.

I’d offer a two year extension for Poehling, max AAV 1.5.

I’d offer extension to Tippett. Anywhere from 4-6 years and 4.5 - 5.75 AAV.

Keep Staal as 7 D for playoff run unless he wants moved then move him wherever he wants for whatever we can get and call up Belpedio for 7 D.

Nothing for Hart until HC investigation results come out. If he’s not implicated then trade in the offseason.

Only players I’d be targeting are U24 centers and a potential top pair LD to move Sanheim to 2RD. That’s probably better suited for summer though.

I’d also try hard after Cozens but seems unrealistic.

Farabee Coots TK
Tippett Frost Foerester/Atkinson
Cates/Foerester Lundell/Poehling Brink
Cates/Poehling Laughton Hathaway
Nicky Des

Sanheim Drysdale
York Risto
Zamula Seeler
Staal
Belpedio

Ersson
Hart
I’d also explore moving Laughton in off-season. Should’ve made the move last off season but his stock won’t plummet anymore from keeping him the rest of the season. Also moving him now could greatly disrupt the room.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
We need to not "buy" on a rental. If there's an obvious upgrade out there for a younger player with substantial upside, then sure, feel free to make the move.

Thank you for bringing this up. Painting this as black and white is flawed.

There’s nothing wrong with trading for players who you think can contribute right now. They just shouldn’t be pending 29yo UFAs. Call everyone. See who you can shake free.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Original plan stands. The real window is Michkov. This is fools gold. Sell Laughton before his value tanks more. Walker. Seeler. Tippett (this is a difficult one). Hart. Risto if anyone will take him.

Anything that won't be a factor in three or five years. Sell. Get every pick you can, flood the system, get everything on the same page to maximize Michkov's window. Sell excess office equipment to find one of those meat spinny things kabob places have. That's important

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Seeler can stay if you can move staal but I'm actively dumping him . I'd try and get a prospect over a 2nd for walker but he's moving. I'd go three years for poehling if it keeps him under two mil but I'd move him too if he doesn't want to come back .

I'm adding at the deadline it's just from within the organization.

I'd also be targeting the usual suspects and some painful moves for the off season

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
At this point, I just expect Walker to be the only guy to move at the deadline. Which on the bright side should be objective #1 given he seems to be the most valuable player on our block, but the selling should not stop there.

Ideally, Walker, Seeler, and Laughton are out the door. Cam and Risto too if there are takers. And then a hard decision about Hart has to be made in RFA.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
-only move Walker or Seeler if the deal is stupid. Otherwise, re-sign Walker and move Risto in the offseason.
-see if you can move someone off the Phantoms who doesn’t have a future here for a depth forward or third goaltender.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
This upside-down season is ideal for finding desperate GMs (like Toronto) or teams making a surprise run for the playoffs (like Winnipeg). I'd love to see a trade involving Walker @ 50% for a highly touted C prospect (Cowan, Lucius, etc.). But it is increasingly difficult to see Briere moving multiple players for futures unless the wheels come off Cinderella's carriage.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
If you think this team is a playoff team then you can’t trade everyone. One of Risto, Seeler, Walker. Maybe one more if you get a great offer. You still need depth unless you’re willing to play the top 4 a combined 50 minutes.
Keep Hart this season and then maybe entertain offers in the summer. I don’t want Sandstrom or Peterson playing meaningful games this spring

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Interesting comment from Torts in the presser, they are still going to be sellers. Holy crap, he made sense! Don't fall in love with the team/your players, some of them have to go as part of the rebuild.

Walker or Risto, Seeler, Staal, Hathaway, Atkinson, Laughton should all be on the block. If Briere can trade Deslaurier's contract, he will be a genius. Need to trade a couple D and one of the Fs. Brink needs to play, among others.

https://x.com/jceezz/status/1748383558664622337?s=20

Last edited:

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
-only move Walker or Seeler if the deal is stupid. Otherwise, re-sign Walker and move Risto in the offseason.
-see if you can move someone off the Phantoms who doesn’t have a future here for a depth forward or third goaltender.

I think the Drysdale trade forced them into having to trade a D man now, I legit don’t know what one of the 7 dmen they’d scratch? No shot they sit Risto, and quite frankly he prob doesn’t deserve it lol

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Interesting comment from Torts in the presser, they are still going to be sellers. Holy crap, he made sense! Don't fall in love with the team/your players, some of them have to go as part of the rebuild.

Walker or Risto, Seeler, Staal, Hathaway, Atkinson, Laughton should all be on the block. If Briere can trade Deslaurier's contract, he will be a genius. Need to trade a could D and one of the Fs. Brink needs to play, among others.

https://x.com/jceezz/status/1748383558664622337?s=20

I wanna see what they sell. Prove it!

And I'm sure they will! This is a very reliable team that always does exactly what they say!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad