You are Jeff Gorton.

What direction are you taking this team...?

• Total voters

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I understand why some people want to trade Kreider. I get it. I don’t necessarily agree with it. Of course, if Colorado wants to give Ottawa’s 1st, Makar and Kaut, I’m there. But moving him starts with a top 7 pick, and I don’t think that’s available.
I was right there with you not too long ago. It's taken me awhile to reach the point I'm at. I wanted Kreider and Zbad here long term. Skjei too for that matter.

It's definitely a gamble. There are no guarantees the arsenal of picks I hope we have going into the next draft pan out and develop into the future core this organization will need. I hear your arguments and they're legit.

There's no right or wrong here. I just want to finally see us draft that franchise player and this draft has a few potential stars. If the cost of possibly drafting one comes at the expense of Zbad and Kreider, then I would definitely do it.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I was right there with you not too long ago. It's taken me awhile to reach the point I'm at. I wanted Kreider and Zbad here long term. Skjei too for that matter.

It's definitely a gamble. There are no guarantees the arsenal of picks I hope we have going into the next draft pan out and develop into the future core this organization will need. I hear your arguments and they're legit.

There's no right or wrong here. I just want to finally see us draft that franchise player and this draft has a few potential stars. If the cost of possibly drafting one comes at the expense of Zbad and Kreider, then I would definitely do it.

I think this team is going to get two chances to do that in the next two drafts without trading either Kreider or Zibanejad. If you’re trading both of them, you need to bring back top 7 picks, or surefire high end prospects and late firsts. I don’t foresee either option being available. Burn it down is how you get Balej and a 2nd for Kovalev.

Last edited:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I think this team is going to get two chances to do that the n the next two drafts without trading either Kreider or Zibanejad. If you’re trading both of them, you need to bring back top 7 picks, or surefire high end prospects and late firsts. I don’t foresee either option being available. Burn it down is how you get Balej and a 2nd for Kovalev.

Burning it down and rebuilding is what helped turn this franchise around after their Dark Ages.

Players like Zibanejad and Kreider don't become available too often, which is why you probably don't foresee surefire high end talent or picks being available.

We're in a position here where yes, we can hope to get lucky with our 1st pick.. And the mid-1st pick Hayes will bring back.. And maybe the 2nd pick Zucc will bring back. I'd rather see us get more aggressive. Especially considering Kreider is going to be looking for a big payday as a 29 year old, and Zibby is also going to be a 29 year old looking for a new contract when we're probably about to start competing again.

Fortune favors the bold.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I guess I see it as more winding down than full scorched earth.

Trying to get back as much value as you can while pretty much burning it down while knowing some of the stuff you'd like to get rid of is just not going anywhere.

If Kreider is worth more now instead of later, okay.

If Zbad can return something better than Stepan, okay

Stuff like that I get but if the returns for those assets are currently going to be crappy....

I guess I think the market and the timing of all that has to come into play and it has nothing to do with me thinking that is stuff the Rangers should not trade, more I fear the returns are going to be pretty underwhelming if they just take the highest offer at any particular point.

I mean the point will come where it's either trade it or get nothing and I do not want to see that either, yet I think there is some subtlety involved beyond hanging up the "fire sale, everything must go" sign. However I think if they are going to hang out that sign this trade deadline would be a good time to get some valuations on everything.

Reactions: Kupo

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I guess I think the market and the timing of all that has to come into play and it has nothing to do with me thinking that is stuff the Rangers should not trade, more I fear the returns are going to be pretty underwhelming if they just take the highest offer at any particular point

With guys like McQuaid, Hayes, and Zucc, you take what you can get. With guys like Zbad and Kreider, you only move them if it's an overwhelming return.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Lets be clear here you need some good veteran players. I think Mika and CK are those guys. Skjei will have to also be included in that group.

but make no mistake everyone else should not be here past next year if their deals expire next year and the others that expire after the following year will be gone as well.

Fast should be dealt. Strome and Namestnikov should be dealt when possible (although some might make the case that he could be a longer term option here almost as a replacement for Fast.)

but Vesey Buchnevich those two guys should be dealt. they are not going to do anything for us they shouldn't be resigned. they are not winning players they are not taking the next step with their opportunity to be important players. we're not paying them anymore money.

You've got mika kreider Skjei namestnikov Pionk DeAngelo That's your group to work with right now. you've got chytil howden andersson Hajek Kravtsov Shesterkin (coming next season) to add to that group.

that's 12 definite pieces moving past 2020-21 season. you need another 10 or so real pieces. some of course are more marginal and we'll find those easy but you need probably 4 or 5 more really important pieces. because frankly nowhere in that group of 12 is there the franchise changing guys.

panarin is one

a top 5 pick is another

desperately praying KAndre Miller is the 3rd

is Erik Karlsson another?

is it possible we hit in the draft on another? we absolutely must. or we gotta hit on a prospect we bring in during this purge at the very least. probably need both.

that's what kind of luck and strategic mobility we'll need in order to get back to contender status. I frankly don't want to watch just another group of good players chasing elite guys like barzal around for the next 10 years. we need some of our own.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
With guys like McQuaid, Hayes, and Zucc, you take what you can get. With guys like Zbad and Kreider, you only move them if it's an overwhelming return.

Zbad I honestly think is worth more than Stepan, if I can't get that now I think I'm holding on to him clause and all.

Kreider I am concerned turns into rental like return next year and if they can get more for him now or at the draft, so be it in my opinion because I just don't think his extension demands are going to jive with where the Rangers limit should be.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I've been scorched Earth for a long time..but again...only if the deal makes sense. But I'm all for futures.

I'd expect nothing less from someone named Inferno.

The NYR have the 2nd lowest expected winning% in the league

Screen-Shot-2019-01-07-at-9.55.35-AM.png

These are the projected end year standings. We suck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inferno

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
You are presuming that teams were falling over themselves to offer first round picks and prospects for him last year.

late 1st rounder + good prospect I see why not. I think they were holding on to him for sentimental reasons or because they did not feel that type of return is significant enough for one of their top players.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Burning it down and rebuilding is what helped turn this franchise around after their Dark Ages.

Players like Zibanejad and Kreider don't become available too often, which is why you probably don't foresee surefire high end talent or picks being available.

We're in a position here where yes, we can hope to get lucky with our 1st pick.. And the mid-1st pick Hayes will bring back.. And maybe the 2nd pick Zucc will bring back. I'd rather see us get more aggressive. Especially considering Kreider is going to be looking for a big payday as a 29 year old, and Zibby is also going to be a 29 year old looking for a new contract when we're probably about to start competing again.

Fortune favors the bold.

I think you're completely forgetting how this franchise turned it around. They didn't 'burn it down and rebuild.' They burnt it down and completely lucked out when they got a completely rejuvenated Jagr basically for free and their 7th round pick turned into one of the best goalies of all time.

You need players like Zib and Kreider, even Hayes to help turn the corner after a few high picks. Unless we end up with someone like Crosby, you can't fill the holes that those guys will fill on a revamped roster.

I would surely trade them if the price is right, but I"d rather we keep both, as I think they can play huge roles in 2-3 years when this team should be ready to compete again.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
late 1st rounder + good prospect I see why not. I think they were holding on to him for sentimental reasons or because they did not feel that type of return is significant enough for one of their top players.

Where are you getting this info? I didn't read one rumor that had such a deal and I find it extremely unlikely that he would have been kept under such a scenario..

Seems to me that you are pulling things out of the air to help win your argument.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I think you're completely forgetting how this franchise turned it around. They didn't 'burn it down and rebuild.' They burnt it down and completely lucked out when they got a completely rejuvenated Jagr basically for free and their 7th round pick turned into one of the best goalies of all time.

No, I didn't forget. There was a great deal of luck with Jagr and Lundqvist, but the whole structure of our franchise changed because of our commitment to try and build from within.

The impact a developmental coach like Renney had was also imperative with the amount of youngsters we had on our roster. The relentless effort from 4th line plugs like Ortmeyer and Betts electrified the team and set a new standard from the overpaid hacks that plagued our franchise during the dark ages.

Sather didn't fully rebuild though. That's where he ****ed up in my opinion. He acquired some good young players but nothing exceptional. When I look at a lot of the guys that Gorton has acquired, I see the same thing. Howden. Lindgren. Rykov. Hajek. Good prospects but no game breaking talent. Nothing elite.

The difference with Gorton is he's tried to acquire that kind of talent through the draft, but picking 7th and 9th isn't enough. If we continue the pace we've been going, we might get lucky and get that top-5 pick. However, if a team picking in the top-10 of this draft is interested in swapping that pick + for someone like Zibby, then it's something we should seriously consider.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad