You are Jeff Gorton.

What direction are you taking this team...?

• Total voters

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
This is your new face.

BRUINS%20OCONNELL%20HOCKEY-1737069.jpg

What direction are you taking this team? There are a lot of different opinions here as to whether or not we should re-sign Hayes, trade Kreider, or sign Panarin. I think a Poll is a fun idea so we can see where everyone stands.

If you were Gorton what direction are you taking this team?

Here's my go: Option C. If it's breathing, and the return is appropriate, move it.

Guys I trade regardless of Value: Zucc, McQuaid, Hayes. I don't see either of these 3 in our long-term plans. Get something for them rather than lose them for nothing.

Guys I trade if the value is there: Kreider, Zbad, Shatty. As @jas would say, get me that Franchise 1C. This draft has about 4-5 potential of those guys.

It took awhile for me to get on the Trade Kreider/Zbad wagon, but it has come to that. Our Defense is 3 years away in my opinion. Zbad will have 3 years left on his contract after this year. He'll be a 29 year old UFA when his contract matures. I think Zbad can be moved for a similar package to Stepan.

Although part of me wants to see that C stitched on Kreider's chest, I'm worried about his next contract. He'll also be a 29 year old UFA when his contract matures next year. 7X7? 8X8? The old school Rangers sign him without thinking twice. I do see CK aging very well and being a productive player in his 30's, but I'm still concerned. I've been burned once too many times with those contracts.

Come to think of it, when has signing a 29 year old player to the biggest contract they have ever received, a good idea..?

@Edge had a great post the other day. He pointed out that guys like Howden and Andersson can be the safe, steady 2-way players this young franchise will need. Neither being a flashy PPG producer, but still productive nonetheless. I'd throw both Lindgren and Hajek in that mix as well. Chytil, Kravtsov, and Miller are the potential offensive powerhouses. Throw in ADA and possibly Lundkvist in that mix too.

Aside for Shesty and Kravtsov, I don't see any potential Elite Franchise players though. That's why I would continue gutting this team. I realize we can't have a team of kids - and we don't. Names/Staal/Smith/Fast/Vesey are all vets. They will all be here next year. This team will have zero problems bringing in other vets as placeholders too.

I wouldn't shop Fast, Vesey, or Names. A late 2nd or 3rd and mediocre prospect doesn't interest me much. Gropp, Halverson, Kovacs, Iverson, Tambellini, Day.. Meh. Keep these guys around for another year and then re-evaluate things the following year.

So what direction would you take this team if you were Gorton? Option A? B? C? Or something else? I think this can be a fun thread to re-visit in a few years after things settle down.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I wouldn't "sell everyone" per se, but I also wouldn't say no if someone came calling with a good offer (or at least a good starting point) for Kreider or Zibanejad. Hayes and Zucc should be gone at the deadline though (which is staying the course to me, writing was on the wall when Hayes signed for a year).

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think I'm kinda in between option 2 and 3. Not really interested in trading Z or Kreider at this point at least, but I think Fast, Vesey, Namestnikov, Pionk, McQuaid should all be actively shopped along with Zuccarello and Hayes being traded for sure.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Now, I will say one thing about the first option. I don't think there are many advocating for that.

The devil is in the details of how we word it.

For example, someone might consider signing someone like Panarin part of rebuilding, because we need wingers and they feel he'd fit with what we're trying to cultivate.

So it's important to remember that there are many subtle levels between these options.

Reactions: Winston2018

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Now, I will say one thing about the first option. I don't think there are many advocating for that.

The devil is in the details of how we word it.

For example, someone might consider signing someone like Panarin part of rebuilding, because we need wingers and they feel he'd fit with what we're trying to cultivate.

So it's important to remember that there are many subtle levels between these options.
****, I should have made more polls then:laugh:

Reactions: NYR Lurker

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If you can get great value for Zbad or Kreider, fine.

If you want to trade them with the top goal of making this team as bad as fast as possible, I'm out.
And again, it better be GREAT value. My example is if Buffalo came calling it starts with the Ottawa first, Mittelstatdt & Sammuelsen. That may not even the the starter as Mittelstatdt is not exactly lighting it up. But that is just a start and nothing else. No prospects would be off limits, Dahlin and Eichel aside.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Hayes, Zuc, Smith,Staal,Mcquaid, all shopped and possibly Buchnevich. Sign Panarin or Stone

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Option B. Signing Panarin to "accelerate" the rebuild wont work because our defense will still be ass. Trading everyone leaves zero leadership for the kids basically sending the team into perpetual rebuild.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
And again, it better be GREAT value. My example is if Buffalo came calling it starts with the Ottawa first, Mittelstatdt & Sammuelsen. That may not even the the starter as Mittelstatdt is not exactly lighting it up. But that is just a start and nothing else. No prospects would be off limits, Dahlin and Eichel aside.

How'd they get that?

Samuelsson is a hard no from me, he sucks.

I chose option 2, but it's really between 2 and 3 as others have said. If you get offers you can't refuse for Kreider/Zibanejad/Skjei/etc., then make those moves.

If you can get Hayes locked in at a fair price that should be explored as well. Zucc and McQuaid can GTFO.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I'd go close to but not quite to trade it if it's breathing concerning those who have a contract that ends as a UFA within the next 3 off-seasons. I think Zbad could come out on the other side, perhaps Kreider, Fast, Vesey too depending on what they really need to extend versus what they could return in trade.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Trade/shop everyone 24-25+ not named #20 and #93, maybe #13 if there's some kind of long term deal in place that makes sense for the team (doubtful though).

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Trading Hayes is dumb. There are no young players or prospect we currently have that have shown any ability to be a top 2 center yet. Chytil's offense is vastly overrated. He has 13 points. There are other 19 year old players that have done much more. When he starts scoring on at least a 50 point pace, then you can talk about him having high offense upside. As far as Kreider goes. He should play well into his mid 30's. His goals are mostly in front of the net on rebounds and deflections where his strength makes it almost impossible for guys to move him. He should not be dealt.

In the right deal, Skjei, DeAngelo, Pionk, McQuaid, Staal, Shattenkirk, Smith, Zucc, Namestnikov, Vesey, Buchnevich and Strome can all go.

Only players I would want to keep long term are Kreider, Hayes, Zibanejad, Fast, Howden, Andersson and Chytil. Fast to me is a great example for the young players about work ethic. Our defense of the future most likely will be Miller, Lindgren, Hajek, Lundqkvist, Keane or Gross and a significant righty defenseman with size via the draft or trade.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
UFA signings which Hayes basically would be the things I'd be avoiding right now unless they came at an unrealistic discount and that includes no really restrictive clauses.

Using UFAs to later on try to fill in the gaps, even if that gap is a really important and expensive role, sure I could see that, but until that is gap is identified and all the prospects are further along, it's too risky for me as I'd be more or less hoping those signing did not decline or cause me other cap issues right at the wrong times while in the mean time all they did was make my draft positioning worse.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Okay to Trade:
Hayes (don't want to, but get it)
Namestnikov
Zuccarello
Fast
Strome
Shattenkirk
Smith
Claesson
McQuaid
Beleskey

That would give you some pretty solid returns, I think. Obviously some of those guys like Smith and Beleskey, they might be tough to move. Possibly Strome, too.

Will Listen to Offers On:
Vesey
Buchnevich (just so underwhelmed with him, but would need to be a great offer)
DeAngelo (would rather keep him, but if the organization is sour on him then just move on)

I'm not interested in moving Zibanejad, Kreider, Skjei, those guys. I don't want to blow it up completely.

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

I read your post. It's an important clarification. Some people see the value in being bad. If you need examples, check the Roster thread after the next win.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I'm not interested in moving Zibanejad, Kreider, Skjei, those guys. I don't want to blow it up completely.

I understand. But, what if there's a top-5 pick offered for Zbad...? You would pass?

What are your plans with Kreider?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad