You are GM please fill in the blank

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He's healthy next year and we are A fringe playoff team and he has 65 pts, you can't tell me the thought wouldn't cross your mind. 8.2 mill is the number absolute elite players that can run their own line earn .

Why would I worry about something that hasn't happened? If it gets to that point I'll let ya know but we got a ways to go right now.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
He's healthy next year and we are A fringe playoff team and he has 65 pts, you can't tell me the thought wouldn't cross your mind. 8.2 mill is the number absolute elite players that can run their own line earn .

Not that I want to make points a black and white measure here, but 65 points playing 70 games on Couturier's wing is a lot different than on Giroux's. Needs context. Have to compare apples to apples on the contract too.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Why would I worry about something that hasn't happened?

I think that is the the point of people suggesting expansion draft. We have another full year to see what happens with him. 8.2 was expecting him to be even better than last year, it's gonna be interesting how he does next year.

HockeyFan1402

Mar 24, 2016
Long time observer, first time poster....

I like the team, but I'd like a few improvements.

Add : Leier, Provorov,
Lose : Read (draft picks, salary dump, who cares?)
Re-sign : Gudas (7 over 2) Schenn (14 over 3)
Buy-Out : Umberger

Voracek - Giroux - Simmonds
Raffl - Couturier - Schenn
Leier - Laughton - Cousins
VandeVelde - Bellemare - White
Weal - XXXX (Open Spot - Added cap space will allot room for a (probably way higher placed in the lineup) forward)

Gostisbehere Del Zotto
Gudas Provorov
Streit MacDonald
Schultz (If Schultz can be dumped, and Manning can be re-signed for 1 million for 1 year, use Manning as a 7th man.

Mason
Neuvirth

Potential in season deals : Streit out, Sanheim promoted, Neuvirth out, Stolarz promoted.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Not that I want to make points a black and white measure here, but 65 points playing 70 games on Couturier's wing is a lot different than on Giroux's. Needs context. Have to compare apples to apples on the contract too.

I meant 65 based on a full season. Full season Couts could flirt with 55 pts at center and top PK guy. Jake will need a lot more than 10 pts to justify almost double his salary if he is his winger.

HockeyFan1402

Mar 24, 2016
Long time observer, first time poster....

I like the team, but I'd like a few improvements.

Add : Leier, Provorov,
Lose : Read (draft picks, salary dump, who cares?)
Re-sign : Gudas (7 over 2) Schenn (14 over 3)
Buy-Out : Umberger

Voracek - Giroux - Simmonds
Raffl - Couturier - Schenn
Leier - Laughton - Cousins
VandeVelde - Bellemare - White
Weal - XXXX (Open Spot - Added cap space will allot room for a (probably way higher placed in the lineup) forward)

Gostisbehere Del Zotto
Gudas Provorov
Streit MacDonald
Schultz (If Schultz can be dumped, and Manning can be re-signed for 1 million for 1 year, use Manning as a 7th man.

Mason
Neuvirth

Potential in season deals : Streit out, Sanheim promoted, Neuvirth out, Stolarz promoted.

I understand Weal, White, and Cousins will need re-signing, but they should all be around 1.5 or less. Not significant cost, so I didn't include them on purpose

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I think that is the the point of people suggesting expansion draft. We have another full year to see what happens with him. 8.2 was expecting him to be even better than last year, it's gonna be interesting how he does next year.
I meant 65 based on a full season. Full season Couts could flirt with 55 pts at center and top PK guy. Jake will need a lot more than 10 pts to justify almost double his salary if he is his winger.

This is what I mean about comparing apples to apples on a contract. You can't compare a 55 pt center who started his deal at 23 to an 80 pt winger who started at 27 straight across.

The Voracek contract comps were Kessel and Perry. He got less than Perry and more than Kessel. That was pretty much market value. If they were paying him to be even better than last year, he'd be getting Kane money.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
This is what I mean about comparing apples to apples on a contract. You can't compare a 55 pt center who started his deal at 23 to an 80 pt winger who started at 27 straight across.

The Voracek contract comps were Kessel and Perry. He got less than Perry and more than Kessel. That was pretty much market value. If they were paying him to be even better than last year, he'd be getting Kane money.

Kane is a Art Ross / Hart , multi cup winner,, Perry is a Hart cup winner ( who Jake is nowhere near ) and Kessel was given away, not the most comforting comparisons.

I get what your saying , but was hoping to go into year 1 of deal thinking we got a deal

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Kane is a Art Ross / Hart , multi cup winner,, Perry is a Hart cup winner ( who Jake is nowhere near ) and Kessel was given away, not the most comforting comparisons.

Guys get paid cyclically. It's how all of sports work. There were very few wingers of that age and quality headed to UFA for comparables.

No one is arguing he's better than Perry or on Kane's level, so I don't know where we disagree. At the time, paying him as if he was better than Kessel but not as good as Perry is the right slot.

You're trying to say they paid him as if he would be even better this year and anything else is a failure. The only relevance Kane has is that if Voracek improves to 90+ points, as you seem to have been expecting from the contract, that would have put him on a Kane type level. He makes nowhere near what Kane does, nor should he.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

So why is Toews on 58 points in 80 games with a $10.5m cap hit?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
You really come up with some ludicrous stuff. Voracek would be the best player on an expansion team and they would have tons of cap room.

Some early Fleury speculation , but I agree he would be one of , if not the best players available. 55 mill is still a lot of $$ tho based on another sub 70 pt season tho.

I'm not saying he will be available , and most likely won't. But for some of you to just think he automatically reverts back next year is a bit of a stretch. He wouldn't be the first athlete to regress after a monster contract.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
So why is Toews on 58 points in 80 games with a $10.5m cap hit?

Multiple cups, Selkes , league awards etc. You honestly think Jake has the all around game to justify sub 70 pts ?

And the Hawks won't be loving that deal either, but it was the price to pay for having a dynasty

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Some early Fleury speculation , but I agree he would be one of , if not the best players available. 55 mill is still a lot of $$ tho based on another sub 70 pt season tho.

I'm not saying he will be available , and most likely won't. But for some of you to just think he automatically reverts back next year is a bit of a stretch. He wouldn't be the first athlete to regress after a monster contract.

Opposed to constantly assuming the worst like you? :laugh:

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
id take Blake wheeler right now for voracek.

Of course we all would , but he will get more cash in 3 years , but will also be at the age where you are hesitant to give to him.

Wheeler has one of the best contracts in NHL tho to be fair.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
1)Buy out Umberger
2)Medvedev - thanks and goodbye. Also, Gagner, Manning, White.
3)Honestly, ready to listen to offers for everyone but G, Couts, Konecny, Provorov
4)Offer to Nikita Kucherov(or Hoffman)
5)LAK resign Lucic and we trade Voracek for him(dont touch my dreams guys)
6)trade Streit for clean cap space(retained 1.500 000)
7)Re-sign Schenn, Cousins, Gudas
8)Blockbaster for top-def. Proposal: Simmonds+Neuvirth+VV for Pietrangelo+Reavs.
9)Trade Raffl for picks
10)Organize abduction or deportation of AMac
11)Trade Schultz for picks

Lucic - Giroux - Kucherov
Schenn - Couturier - Konecny
Laughton - Cousins - Read
C.Macdonald - Bellemare - Reavs

Pietrangelo - Provorov
Del Zotto - Gostisbehere
Gudas - Morin

Mason
Lyon/Stolarz

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
The best and most realistic scenario is just to ride it out next season.

Hextall has worked some magic but I don't think there will be a any market for Streit, Schultz, Or Read until closer to the deadline even with salary retained. Hopefully I am wrong.

I would resign Cousins, Schenn, and Gudas. If they could swing a trade for another scoring center (RNH) or top 4 RHD (Trouba) with Simmonds or Schenn as the main piece, I would do it but I don't think that will happen. I don't think they would have the cap to sign a difference making UFA either like Nielsen nor would it be a good idea to tie up cap space long term on a 30+ year old right now.

So send MacDonald back to the AHL and add Provorov. With Del Zotto back and not as terrible of a start they should be a be able to get into the 8th seed next year. Maybe a add a cheap 4th line center on a 1 year contract.

The biggest thing is not to tie up a lot of cap space or roster spots for 2017. The amount of young talent available that year, most with AHL time by then ,will be staggering: Lindblom, NAK, Fazleev, Konecny, Sanheim, Leier, and Morin.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
You realize how hard it is to keep pace for a full 82 game season right? Look at Crosby he sucked ass for half this year. Same with Getzlaf & countless other top players.
voracek when cold does nothing though. Kane could go ten gms without a goal but he could have had a ton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad