Speculation: You’re the GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm more of a conservative/partial rebuild guy. Tearing it all down is dangerous, as you can completely lose a team culture. For all my complaints, i think this team does know how to play "the right way", for the most part, but lacks talent in some key places where you can't lack talent(i.e. Goalie, #1C, #1 sniper).

I think the NMC's that have been given out have eroded some of the morale on the team. I get NTC's, because a player will want some control over where he goes, but the NMC's are awful, and create a class system within the team. To give a guy like Zuccarello a NMC is ridiculous.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I said 'within reason'.
I think Greenway>Soucy in terms of value, so anything on top of Greenway just seems unnecessary.

Whoever Seattle chooses it’s not like it is going to mega hurt us. If it’s Greenway, we’ve got a bajillion left wingers. If it’s Soucy, we’ve got Seeler for 3rd pairing.

I’m much more worried about a potential trade of Brodin/Dumba. Have to get what we need in a trade like that.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think Greenway>Soucy in terms of value, so anything on top of Greenway just seems unnecessary.

Whoever Seattle chooses it’s not like it is going to mega hurt us. If it’s Greenway, we’ve got a bajillion left wingers. If it’s Soucy, we’ve got Seeler for 3rd pairing.

I’m much more worried about a potential trade of Brodin/Dumba. Have to get what we need in a trade like that.

1st, Soucy is way better than Seeler.

2nd, in this hypothetical scenario, Dumba was already traded so it was losing Soucy off of the 2nd pairing.

3rd, I'm not talking about a Tuch-level asset being involved, but if we end up with some 2nds and 3rds because of some player trades, I wouldn't be against using them for a purpose like this.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I'm more of a conservative/partial rebuild guy. Tearing it all down is dangerous, as you can completely lose a team culture. For all my complaints, i think this team does know how to play "the right way", for the most part, but lacks talent in some key places where you can't lack talent(i.e. Goalie, #1C, #1 sniper).

I think the NMC's that have been given out have eroded some of the morale on the team. I get NTC's, because a player will want some control over where he goes, but the NMC's are awful, and create a class system within the team. To give a guy like Zuccarello a NMC is ridiculous.

Nothing ridiculous about that, it's perfectly normal.

And as I've mentioned before, the Wild had to include this because they were in a bidding war with Florida.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Nothing ridiculous about that, it's perfectly normal.

And as I've mentioned before, the Wild had to include this because they were in a bidding war with Florida.
There’s nothing ridiculous about NMCs Being allowed under the CBA, but given the context of the Wild’s situation last year, it was absolutely a ridiculous move to lock up another 30+ something that doesn’t move the needle to another NMC.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Now to Deadline:

• Greenway for Georgiev. Value not tremendous for the Wild but Greenway has yet to give the Wild much in the way of promise in his time in the NHL. Georgiev gives the Wild another younger option in goal with Khakonen with the hope one takes the job and runs with it. In terms of needs, a goaltender that can emerge within the next year is as big of a need as any with this team. Not sure Georgiev or Khakonen are that guy but I’m fairly confident that Greenway will not find a consistently productive spot on this roster.
  • Stalock waived. He is not and has never been an NHL level goaltender.
  • Foligno for a 2nd. Some playoff bound team would love him. He has turned into a sound player in all phases for the Wild but given where this team is, the luxury of his game should likely be cashed in. Given how he’s played, what would be a late 2nd feels light in terms of value but I can’t see more coming.
  • Donato and 2nd for Puljujarvi. Bringing in some more draft capital elsewhere, I think you could afford to make a move like this and work to develop Puljujarvi. More or less setting the clock back a couple years on Donato.
  • Trade Hunt for a mid round pick. Not sure the team would return better than a 4th or 5th. Good enough for a defender that just will not get use with Pateryn back.
Moves I Wouldn’t Make Yet:
  • Trading Dumba now. I just can’t see what it make sense to move a player like him when his value is at his lowest. If you are set on moving him at some point, this feels like a move to be made over the summer in the hopes he starts to gain some of his game back.
  • Moving Brodin. I wholeheartedly agree with moving him but I don’t think you do it before the summer. Will have more teams interested and if you want picks, you make the move at the draft if the player you want is at a draft slot.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Now to Deadline:

• Greenway for Georgiev. Value not tremendous for the Wild but Greenway has yet to give the Wild much in the way of promise in his time in the NHL. Georgiev gives the Wild another younger option in goal with Khakonen with the hope one takes the job and runs with it. In terms of needs, a goaltender that can emerge within the next year is as big of a need as any with this team. Not sure Georgiev or Khakonen are that guy but I’m fairly confident that Greenway will not find a consistently productive spot on this roster.
  • Stalock waived. He is not and has never been an NHL level goaltender.
  • Foligno for a 2nd. Some playoff bound team would love him. He has turned into a sound player in all phases for the Wild but given where this team is, the luxury of his game should likely be cashed in. Given how he’s played, what would be a late 2nd feels light in terms of value but I can’t see more coming.
  • Donato and 2nd for Puljujarvi. Bringing in some more draft capital elsewhere, I think you could afford to make a move like this and work to develop Puljujarvi. More or less setting the clock back a couple years on Donato.
  • Trade Hunt for a mid round pick. Not sure the team would return better than a 4th or 5th. Good enough for a defender that just will not get use with Pateryn back.
Moves I Wouldn’t Make Yet:
  • Trading Dumba now. I just can’t see what it make sense to move a player like him when his value is at his lowest. If you are set on moving him at some point, this feels like a move to be made over the summer in the hopes he starts to gain some of his game back.
  • Moving Brodin. I wholeheartedly agree with moving him but I don’t think you do it before the summer. Will have more teams interested and if you want picks, you make the move at the draft if the player you want is at a draft slot.
I think the 2nd goes the other way in the Puljujarvi deal, but other than that I could get my head around this.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I would embrace the mini-tank: 1-2 years. Trade any of Dumba, Zucker, perhaps Brodin for futures. Try to get MK9 to hang em up a one team guy. As much as I dislike the tradition, I might even hang his jersey in the rafters.

Get that lottery pick and go for skill/speed. Hopefully the next season could lead to the same result

This would lead to the mediocrity we all know well for another couple years, but there would be all the nice prospects we have now plus another couple years worth, some of whom might be players.

Let Seattle take another good player off the roster: just one though.

The real game begins around 2023-24: Zuccarello is off the sheets at the end of the year. One more year of Parise Suter, who actually have been very good this season. I'm not as worried about them, as respecting the vets and their contracts is important in my organization.

By this time the team could have a nice core of youngish players, a stocked system, and aspirations of grandeur the current team cannot share. A UFA here and there as needed, there ya go. Cup contender.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
We keep Brodin. Period. He is the one constant on the blue line. You have to have one consistent, reliable guy on the blue line moving forward. Dumba can go.

We have Suter for 5 more years and Spurgeon for 7 more years...

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
We keep Brodin. Period. He is the one constant on the blue line. You have to have one consistent, reliable guy on the blue line moving forward. Dumba can go.

Alternatively, you could trade Brodin because he's expendable, valuable, and may price himself out. We can't really afford sinking more money into the blueline when our offense is generally so anemic.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Sell when stock is high not low. Brodin is the one to be shopping around.

Selling Dumba now would be a HUGE mistake. He will rebound. He's too talented not to.

Reactions: BlackBusa24

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
As much as I wanna go full fantasy rebuild crazy, gotta keep it somewhat realistic. Expansion is a factor and must be considered.

Dumba + Donato

Necas + conditional 3rd if they make 2nd round 2nd if they make final.

Resign Staal to a 2 year no clauses.

Protect Zucker, Necas, Ek, Kunin, Zuccarello, Fiala, Parise, Suter, Brodin, Spurgeon and hopefully a different goalie.

Bite the bullet and pay assets so Seattle takes Rask over Soucy, Staal, and Greenway.

Zucker Staal Zuccarello
Fiala Necas Kaprizov
Parise Ek Kunin
Foligno Greenway Hartman

Suter Spurgeron
Brodin Soucy
Xxx Menell/Belpeido

Good vet goalie
KK

Absolutely need to get a good vet goalie to mentor KK. Get rid of dubs and Stalock.

That would be a quick turn around with influx of young talent that doesnt damage our overall good defense core. Just need a good goalie tandem to stop pucks behind it and has potential to still compete and slowly bring in our promising young forwards.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I would first see if Dumba, Staal, and Zucker going to a playoff desiring team could get me an U25 center with 1st line potential.

If that doesn't work, this is the one season where I would be comfortable trading 2-4 vets to grab as many extra 1sts and 2nd I could get to actually draft need at center for once.

I would then trade to trade up to get at least one of Byfield, Lundell, Perfetti, or maybe Stutzle. And also to grab a tier 2 center like Holloway, Lapierre, etc.

After locking down two Cs with first picks, then do the normal draft thing with remainder.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Can't trade:
Suter, Spurgeon, Parise, Zuccarello

Won't trade:
Fiala, Kaprizov

Trade at the Deadline:
Foligno for 2nd
Hunt for 4th or anything
Brodin + Donato for CAR or TOR 1st + Necas
Zucker for PIT 1st + Puustinen, or if PIT is on his NTC a teams first and quality prospect
Staal for BOS 1st

Falter down the stretch and end up with the 6th pick (Rossi), 16th (Holloway), 25th (Lapierre), 29th (O'Rourke). Koivu, Brodin, and Zucker will leave plenty of room to sign Haula and extend most of the RFA's. Fill in the cracks in free agency with depth players on short term deals. Also extend Fiala to something like 24 million/5 years.

End 2020-2021 with a line-up like this:
Fiala-Necas-Kaprizov
Parise-Haula-Zuccarello
Greenway-Ek-Kunin
xxxx-Rask-Hartman

Suter-Spurgeon
Soucy-Dumba
Seeler-Menell

Kahkonen
Dubnyk

Have a top tier prospect pool consisting of:
Rossi, Boldy, Khovanov, Beckman, Holloway, Lapierre, O'Rourke, Firstov, Belpedio, Warren, etc.

Another year of bad will lead to top ten pick.

Protect: Parise, Zuccarello, Fiala, Necas, Ek, Greenway, Kunin, Suter, Spurgeon, Dumba. They pick Haula.

End 2021-2022 with a line-up like this:
Fiala-Rossi-Kaprizov
Boldy/Holloway-Necas-Zucc
Parise-Ek-Kunin
Greenway-Khovanov-xxxx

Soucy-Dumba
Suter-Spurgeon
xxxx-Menell

Kahkonen
xxxx

Hopefully we don't suck for more than 3 years.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Just a guess, but I don't think Haula signs anywhere where he won't be protected from the expansion draft or will be a UFA right after it (which would work for MN).

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
The question is: how many fans on here would stop watching if we pulled a Detroit next year?
I don’t think we can pull off a Detroit. Even if we ship out Zucker, Brodin, Donato & Koivu we will still have a competitive lineup that can roll 4 lines. Scorched earth is hard when you are deep as we are, even with our bad goaltending. Detroit has an embarrassing roster, there is no comparison and Guerin would have to trade away 6 or 7 regulars before we ventured into that territory IMO.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would trade Dumba instead of Brodin. The fetch for either of the two is now much more similar, with Dumba not playing/scoring well, and Brodin playing great and scoring more than average. I don't think what Brodin is doing is radically different than what he has done in the past, though. Looks to be the same player, but just with better partners, and better luck. If he starts getting PP2 TOI, he should be getting 30+ pts. per year. Not awesome, but very respectable. I think Soucy and Brodin have shown that they are a viable second pairing.

Zucker will be missed, but would trade him for the right return. I would definitely trade Donato ahead of him. Rask and Donato are such weak players. It really hurts out team D to have them out there. Fiala can make some terrible turnovers that also hurt, but at least he is very good at winning puck battles, and getting in quick on the forecheck. Unlike Donato, he is quite strong on the puck...just needs to clean up some of the errors, without inhibiting his creativity. It's a judgement thing.

If there is a market for Pateryn, Seeler, or Hunt, then at least one should probably go.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I would trade Dumba instead of Brodin. The fetch for either of the two is now much more similar, with Dumba not playing/scoring well, and Brodin playing great and scoring more than average. I don't think what Brodin is doing is radically different than what he has done in the past, though. Looks to be the same player, but just with better partners, and better luck. If he starts getting PP2 TOI, he should be getting 30+ pts. per year. Not awesome, but very respectable. I think Soucy and Brodin have shown that they are a viable second pairing.

Zucker will be missed, but would trade him for the right return. I would definitely trade Donato ahead of him. Rask and Donato are such weak players. It really hurts out team D to have them out there. Fiala can make some terrible turnovers that also hurt, but at least he is very good at winning puck battles, and getting in quick on the forecheck. Unlike Donato, he is quite strong on the puck...just needs to clean up some of the errors, without inhibiting his creativity. It's a judgement thing.

If there is a market for Pateryn, Seeler, or Hunt, then at least one should probably go.
That's the entire problem with trading Dumba right now: the chances of him rebounding to a 50+ point RD strike me as very high, and if you can't get that sort of value back in a trade why bother making it?

I realize this is paranoia to some extent, but it really does reek of the Brent Burns trade while lacking the factors that made that trade make sense at the time: an empty prospect cupboard and Burns being a year away from UFA. We've already got the sorts of players/prospects we'd be likely to get back in a trade and we have no pressing reason to move him.

Brodin is a mostly (though not entirely) separate question. If it's vital to keep him around we should find a way to do that, but we should also keep a very close eye on what Jake Muzzin gets this summer. If the market for a UFA Brodin pushes up into the $7m+ range I'd say it's time to move on.

Reactions: TaLoN

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I would trade Dumba instead of Brodin. The fetch for either of the two is now much more similar, with Dumba not playing/scoring well, and Brodin playing great and scoring more than average.

You just explained precisely why we should be trading Brodin instead of Dumba.

Reactions: TaLoN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad