GDT: yotes v rags

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
We are stuck with Riberio, unless we buy him out. And with our financial situation, I don't think that is possible. 4 year deal, with an NMC. One of the things he was looking for when signing a new team was stability so his family doesn't have to move again. I'd like to see what he can do with legitimate wingers, before we write him off.

Family is no longer the issue with Ribs, his wife moved with the kids back to Dallas early in the season, he is on his own!

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
So the guy rooting for the team to leave is concerned about their spending....

concern-troll-2.jpg

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'd really like to see Gormley get put opposite Yandle. I think DeMo has played absolutely like crap except for the first month of the season.

Gormley or Summers would be better. Summers looks good to me.

If Gormley can be effective on his offhand, I'd be all up for it. But it appears Summers has more experience with that, so I think he should get first dibs. He can replicate Morris's physicality and mobility while hopefully be a more reliable presence in the defensive zone.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I'm still trying to wrap my head around that in the last 20 games played we have given up the lead 12 times and these aren't just one goal leads. The majority is 2. Twelve games. I remember it happening a couple games in a row and figure eh oh well but this has become a trend. Not looking good.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
His family never lived out here. They never moved from Dallas when he went to Washington.

Either way, he does not have family in the desert, thus the concept of keeping family intact and not moving again is incorrect! He lives alone in Aucoins old home, I drive by there all the time just Ribs Bentley there!

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
That might have been the single worst game I've ever seen Derek Morris play.

I was borderline with Morris resigning this off-season; tonight's game pushed me to "meh, let him walk."

Tipp mentioned he might change up a few of the players. Maybe Morris out, Gormley in?

Probable that Stone gets moved up to 2nd pairing w/ Yandle and Gormley - Summers is our 3rd pairing.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I was borderline with Morris resigning this off-season; tonight's game pushed me to "meh, let him walk."

If we can't get a decent right shot D-man in free agency, I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on playing Murphy with Yandle or playing Yandle with Summers like you've been suggesting recently. I also wouldn't be opposed to reacquiring Rozsival from Chicago for a mid/low round pick to add some size and veteran stability to the bottom pairing, and also trading the now redundant Schlemko for a mid/low round pick, to open a full time slot on the the 3rd. pairing for Gormley.

It would leave the defense looking something like this.

OEL-Z
Yandle-Murphy/Summers
Gormley-Rozsival

Murphy/Summers
Stone

Last edited:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
If we can't get a decent right shot D-man in free agency, I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on playing Murphy with Yandle or playing Yandle with Summers like you've been suggesting recently. I also wouldn't be opposed to reacquiring Rozsival from Chicago for a mid/low round pick to add some size and veteran stability to the bottom pairing, and also trading the now redundant Schlemko for a mid/low round pick, to open a full time slot on the the 3rd. pairing for Gormley.

OEL-Z
Yandle-Murphy/Summers
Gormley-Rozsival

Murphy/Summers
Stone

Definitely open to fielding that blueline. We could always try throwing 3M at Matt Greene in UFA too; he appears to be on the outs in L.A. There's also Cory Sarich and Mike Komisarek. Or trade for Adam McQuaid since Boston may be cap-crunched.

In the end, there are many options to replace what Morris brought to our lineup at his best and possibly improve on what he lacked. But at the very least, even if he is brought back on a discount, I really think tonight demonstrated that his days as a Top 4 RHD are over.

Last edited:

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Watched most of the game; hope Smith is ok.
Have to say that Doan seemed uninspired and uninspiring. Team is on the playoff bubble and your captain comes out of an important OT game with a stat line that reads: 18:18 TOI, -2, 0 SOG, 0 Hits, 0 G, 0 A, 0 PIMs, 0 Blocked shots, 1 Take away.
I guess the only plus was he didn't take a stupid penalty to hurt the team. Seems unacceptable for anyone, but especially the captain who had more ice time than all forwards but one (Hanzal).

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
mesamonster is accurate in that Ribs wife and kids are in Dallas. Widely known that his kid was on a Bantam team up in CAHA and then sometime in Oct/Nov the kid moved with his mom back to Dallas.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe

OEL-Z
Yandle-Murphy/Summers
Gormley-Rozsival

Murphy/Summers
Stone

Rozival? Been there done that. Let the young guys replace the old. Just wish there was a shot blocking machine like Z ..

Player|Games Played|Blocked Shots
Yandle|71|90
Summers|25|11
Stone|60|91
Sclemko|48|79
Murphy|26|37
Morris|56|93
Michalek|49|150
Gormley|2|3
OEL|69|73

Stats pulled form here http://www.rotowire.com/hockey/teampage.htm?team=PHO

Last edited:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Rozival? Been there done that. Let the young guys replace the old. Just wish there was a shot blocking machine like Z ..

Player|Games Played|Blocked Shots
Yandle|71|90
Summers|25|11
Stone|60|91
Sclemko|48|79
Murphy|26|37
Morris|56|93
Michalek|49|150
Gormley|2|3
OEL|69|73

Would you really feel comfortable with Michalek being the only defenseman on the team over the age of 30 next season though? Rozsival could be acquired for cheap, is only under contract for $1.7 million in real dollars next season, and would essentially act as a stop-gap until Summers, Gormley, Stone, Murphy are more established as full time NHLers.

We also have the lightest defense in the league by weight, and Rozsival's size, penalty killing ability, and veteran presence could be a valuable asset until the kids are just little bit more seasoned.

Of course there are other options as well, but I still feel we need to acquire at least 1 veteran defenseman (not Morris) for next season.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Rozival? Been there done that. Let the young guys replace the old.

A steady, SAH veteran with leadership ability is an invaluable asset. Morris is liked in the lockeroom but he has never been as consistent in his own end compared to either Aucoin or Rozsival. And Michalek and Klesla are two very good SAH veterans but from all accounts, don't really take on a leadership role.

We can roll with a young blueline and hope for the best, but be prepared for more frustratingly inconsistent defense like what we've been experiencing the past two seasons. There's absolutely nothing wrong with going after someone like a Rozsival, Matt Greene, Sarich, Komisarek, etc. to stabilize our back end as well as reinfuse some size and grit. And going after them shouldn't affect our ability to pay for a scoring winger as well.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I think that Greene and Rozy are over the hill. The big guys who can skate are fine, but they've clearly in the same range as Klesla, so there really isn't any reason to duplicate that issue again next season.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
If at all possible I'd perfer us to pick up another veteran defenseman. With Morris gone, Yandle and Z are oldest on D.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I think that Greene and Rozy are over the hill. The big guys who can skate are fine, but they've clearly in the same range as Klesla, so there really isn't any reason to duplicate that issue again next season.

Klesla was obviously FUBARed by that Jordan Nolan hit, so I think it's a mistake to throw him into the conversation.

Looks like Summers will be a permanent fixture on our blueline now (at least I hope he's shown enough to Tippett), so that's a step in the right direction. But we still could absolutely use another veteran SAH guy with size to at least partner/mentor Gormley as well as help on PK/shutdown minutes. Rozi is older but I definitely think he can still play 3rd pairing fine; Greene may benefit from a change in scenery. I don't think their lack of mobility will be a liability playing with Gormley (it would be if they were playing Top 4 with Yandle). In any case, both have been more consistent in playing actual defense than Morris throughout their careers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad