GDT: yotes v rags

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Fayne is definitely an option whom I'd have no problems putting in our Top 4 b/c of his overall poise and solid decision making with the puck. But although I wouldn't consider him to be soft, his physicality/grit is lacking to be an ideal 6/7 defender (Not to say he couldn't suddenly develop that - after all, Morris for a long time was a OFD not known for being especially physical).

In the end, if we're looking for a new partner for Yandle, Fayne would be my top UFA choice. But if we're looking for your typical big 6/7D veteran crease clearer - there are better options.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
mesamonster is accurate in that Ribs wife and kids are in Dallas. Widely known that his kid was on a Bantam team up in CAHA and then sometime in Oct/Nov the kid moved with his mom back to Dallas.

Question is did they leave Phoenix for Dallas as was stated. Implies family issues. Again, link?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's a lack of guts, grit, courage, toughness, emotion, passion, energy, whatever you want to call "it". We don't have "it". Instead we are passive, overwhelmed, lazy, soft, weak, nonchalant.

Anyone remember this?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
With lots of talk about our weaksauce media lately, it's nice to see Craig Morgan be fairly tough.

Craig Morgan said:
Instead, they morph into a turnover-prone, battle-shy team that runs completely contrary to the very principles that are being preached every day in practice.

Part of that is a lack of poise on their blue line, which never added that veteran presence it could have used at the trade deadline. GM Don Maloney wasn't convinced they needed it but all four of the team's recent losses suggest otherwise.

http://msn.foxsports.com/arizona/story/loss-in-new-york-pales-in-comparison-to-loss-of-smith-032414

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Morgan is actually pretty tough. He also called out Smith earlier in the year.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think a big part of our identity crisis is the failure to make the distinction between guys who are hard workers and guys who are truly hard to play against.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think a big part of our identity crisis is the failure to make the distinction between guys who are hard workers and guys who are truly hard to play against.

Korpikoski, Chipchura, and Klinkhammer are all guilty of this. They move their wheels and battle in the corners but no one is really looking at them in the lineup card and saying "ugh, I don't want to face that guy down low all night". Korpi isn't guilty of it every night, but he does take some nights off, and that's a problem for a bottom six guy getting paid good coin.

Dave Moss is literally a piece of driftwood out there most nights. I cannot wait to see him go.

This team desperately needs an injection of testosterone. More Finns, fewer AHLers. Players that will skate through a brick wall for the chance to keep NHL paychecks coming. Kale Kessy :sarcasm:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Rewatched the game and the 4 Rangers goals. So even if Yandle was a -3:

First - Morris is at fault for not tying up Richards
Second - Morris turnover
Third – Moss and Chip are running around like headless chickens, leaving the point uncovered.
Fourth – Doan’s guy scored - pretty much the Chara/Iginla GTG redux.

So that -3 does not tell the whole story regarding Yandle yesterday, especially since Yandle had a beautiful hand in generating OEL's goal. OTOH, Morris had the worst game in his career as a Coyote and is arguably responsible for knocking out Smith for what could be the rest of this season.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Second - Morris turnover
Third – Moss and Chip are running around like headless chickens, leaving the point uncovered.

So that -3 does not tell the whole story regarding Yandle yesterday, especially since Yandle had a beautiful hand in generating OEL's goal. OTOH, Morris had the worst game in his career as a Coyote and is arguably responsible for knocking out Smith for the rest of this season.

Thanks for the recap, much appreciated. I wonder if DMO gets healthy scratched tonight? He was healthy scratched a few games ago too. I am glad it was not all Yandle's fault, although he obviously needs to be better in his own end.

On the games itself, we were ahead when Smith was injured, then we lost, but still received a point. The good news now is that the team seems to be getting the early lead, and is not playing catch up like earlier in the year. The team now needs to figure out how to hold onto the lead. I think this is a correctable problem for the coaching staff and one that is mental. Too much doom and gloom around here, and now Smith is day to day, best news so far...

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I was only hoping to get 2 points out of these back to back games. If we get three it will still be better than I hoped for. If we lose in OT again it will match what I was hoping to get. Can't lose to NJ however.

Here's to three points.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

Second - Morris turnover

So that -3 does not tell the whole story regarding Yandle yesterday, especially since Yandle had a beautiful hand in generating OEL's goal. OTOH, Morris had the worst game in his career as a Coyote and is arguably responsible for knocking out Smith for what could be the rest of this season.

Bingo. I was pissed at Yandle for his play during the Bruins game, but other than his PP turnover last night he looked fine.

Morris on the other hand, looked like a headless chicken. He let the Rangers tip pucks in front of Smith all night, and ironically one of the only times he actually cleared the crease, he managed to do it after the puck had already hit the side of the net, essentially rendering the whole idea of clearing the crease pointless, and somehow managed to cripple Mike Smith.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
It's a lack of guts, grit, courage, toughness, emotion, passion, energy, whatever you want to call "it". We don't have "it". Instead we are passive, overwhelmed, lazy, soft, weak, nonchalant.

Anyone remember this?

Ah thank you for reminding me of this. One of the single-most bad ass plays I've ever witnessed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad