TSN: Yost: The Jets are this season’s biggest disappointment

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Nothing wrong with the article - called it out pretty accurately from where I stand.
But at the end of the day, it's meaningless in the minds of management.
- Maurice will be around next year and likely signed to 2 or 3 years
- They will find someone to put in the net - Helle will not be seeing nearly as much ice time as he did this year.
- That's about it . . .

Keep in mind: This team (in the minds of the powers that be) is exactly like Toronto and will be given more time to develop. Bab's is getting the time (along with a big paycheck). Believe it - and Maurice will get a pass on this years performance. The issues including special teams, defence and penalties (discipline) will all be considered part of the growing pains of a young team. This includes Helle - but because he carries the weight of this team, he'll get some help before he shell shocked.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Both only have 1 year left. So either a buyout or trade & retain salary. They can't afford to run with that duo again next season.

Question is why Nill decided not to fix it this season or the one before. They clearly were trying to make a run both seasons but without addressing the goaltending issue. Let's hope Chevy has it figured out now.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
How can you assess the Jets without addressing the injury issues?

How is this team more disappointing than the Stars?

The Jets have certainly disappointed, and the issues of goaltending and special teams is chronic, but they have regularly played with 6-7 or more 1st and 2nd year players. The Leafs have been lauded as a success story, but if you reversed the injury situation the positioning in the points race would be reversed.

Yes, the Leafs have a better record, fewer experienced players, so in fact they are more succesful. Their D is not as deep but better performing than ours. At Center we have more depth Scheifele and Little over Matthews and Bozak. Their goaltending is inconsistent like ours but ya, they are better with less for sure.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Nothing wrong with the article - called it out pretty accurately from where I stand.
- They will find someone to put in the net - Helle will not be seeing nearly as much ice time as he did this year.
- That's about it . . .

Keep in mind: This team (in the minds of the powers that be) is exactly like Toronto and will be given more time to develop. Bab's is getting the time (along with a big paycheck). Believe it - and Maurice will get a pass on this years performance. The issues including special teams, defence and penalties (discipline) will all be considered part of the growing pains of a young team. This includes Helle - but because he carries the weight of this team, he'll get some help before he shell shocked.

The Jets have more veterans, like Wheeler, Little, Buff and Enstrom and more experienced young players; like Scheifele, Trouba and Ehlers than the Leafs.

I don't think Maurice is here next year. His record is abysmal, he is an excuse factory. The only time the Jets are successful is when they don't play their game and play a more risky transition game and move the puck.
I read an article about Tomas Jurco and his thoughts on being traded and the difference between the wings and blackhawks.

"The biggest difference is that here we're told to make plays instead of just making safe plays and chipping it in and playing safely," Jurco said. "Here you actually should create something if you want to stick in this lineup because there's so many creative players."

"I try to play it safe and it doesn't work here. You obviously can't be risking it at certain times of the game or situation, but most of the time you should try to create something, hold onto pucks and don't just chip it in and go for it."

Huddy and Maurice preach a basic game that just doesn't compete in today's NHL. Our AHL team uses the same approach and is one of the worst teams in the AHL consistently, despite having some real talent for an AHL team.

Clear house, Why is Charlie Huddy coaching in the NHL? He has never had success coaching at this level. He happened to play on the same team as Wayne, Messier and Fuhr; but that's about it. Maurice has a horrible NHL record.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes that's fine for you but it's not the only way to look at things.

If our team had been projected to perhaps contend for the Stanley Cup before the season started (like the Dallas Stars were) I would be much more disappointed than I am in finishing 24th in the league vs 18th (I thought we would just miss the playoffs)

If we stick to rating disappointment it has to be worse for Stars fans. Think how we would feel even if we had just scraped in to the POs last year. Even knowing it was partly luck, this year would have sucked even more.

Nevertheless I find myself very disappointed in the Jets this year. Not so much standings as the way they have played far too often. Their good games have been exciting and entertaining, win or lose. But too many games have been dull and uninspiring. That is what has disappointed me. That and watching the same old problems over and over again.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think he just means in general we haven't been a very efficient 5on5 team this year, not "skate" as in "movement on the ice".

Yah, generically the skaters are poor - and the goalies which makes it pretty much everybody. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
- That's about it . . .

Probably pretty good forecast. I'm hoping PM's extension is 'only' 2 years. That says there is some question about his work without labelling him as a lame duck. That is a contract Chipman could eat if necessary.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
All I know is I hope the figure things out ASAP, last few times I've been to a game, the crowd isn't like it once was, and people are growing sour of the entertainment level of the games.

- the rule changes do make it less fan friendly, no matter what anyone says, fighting and big hits will always draw lots of attention and without it the entertainment value is down. I know concussions and player wellness is a hot topic, but I for one would of loved being around in gladiator times and watched people fight to the death (a bit extreme I know)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Question is why Nill decided not to fix it this season or the one before. They clearly were trying to make a run both seasons but without addressing the goaltending issue. Let's hope Chevy has it figured out now.

Well 2 years ago he signed Niemi, which turned out to be a bad idea. Probably should've done something last offseason but I guess Chevy's not the only patient GM in the NHL. :laugh:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If Dallas is smart they'll be talking to Vegas.

Why would Vegas want those guys when they can just get their goalies in the expansion draft? In fact they have to pick three of them. Why do they want more expensive goalies who are bad?

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
[mod]
Forget about the missed games and tough schedule in the first 2-3 months the Jets were still in the hunt for playoffs Jan 1st. What's the excuses for the last 6 weeks ... schedule and injuries. No it's poor coaching a .500 career coach has the Jets playing .500 hockey. It's not that hard to figure out.
Who knows maybe that was the plan all along miss the playoffs and hope for a lottery but according to scouts this year's draft is weak so that's a dumb move.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
[mod]
Forget about the missed games and tough schedule in the first 2-3 months the Jets were still in the hunt for playoffs Jan 1st. What's the excuses for the last 6 weeks ... schedule and injuries. No it's poor coaching a .500 career coach has the Jets playing .500 hockey. It's not that hard to figure out.
Who knows maybe that was the plan all along miss the playoffs and hope for a lottery but according to scouts this year's draft is weak so that's a dumb move.

Yup. Everyone has injuries and schedule problems etc. Look at Tampa. They are still in the playoff race and half of their team is dead. It's management and coaching that are slowing us down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yup. Everyone has injuries and schedule problems etc. Look at Tampa. They are still in the playoff race and half of their team is dead. It's management and coaching that are slowing us down.

You can debate the impact of injuries, but it's false to say every team has the same injury issues to deal with. There's a reason why Tampa is struggling to make the playoffs this season, and got hammered 5-0 at home tonight.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Details are at NHL Injury Viz... (http://nhlinjuryviz.blogspot.ca/p/index-page.html).

Games lost, which don't include Trouba's hold-out or Enstrom's time off for personal reasons...

View attachment 94399

Injuries (caphit) vs. Corsi rolling average... performance appears to wane and wax with injury situation, with a bit of a lag.

View attachment 94401

Thanks for these charts, and the one from your prior post.

They really clarify the cause and effect that injuries have had on the Jets. It is truly an eye-opener.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad