TSN: Yost: The Jets are this season’s biggest disappointment

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
While he doesn't address injury issues, there isn't a whole lot here to take issue with. This a bad team and most of the good news stories (Ehlers, Scheifle, Laine, Trouba) are completely mitigated by the bad news (Special Teams, Goaltending and Coaching).

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/yost-the-jets-are-this-season-s-biggest-disappointment-1.698157

I certainly don't mind a little bit of national attention on the Coach/Management group. They are remarkably sheltered here and someone shining a brighter light on what they are/are not doing is welcome.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
How can you assess the Jets without addressing the injury issues?

How is this team more disappointing than the Stars?

The Jets have certainly disappointed, and the issues of goaltending and special teams is chronic, but they have regularly played with 6-7 or more 1st and 2nd year players. The Leafs have been lauded as a success story, but if you reversed the injury situation the positioning in the points race would be reversed.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
While he doesn't address injury issues, there isn't a whole lot here to take issue with. This a bad team and most of the good news stories (Ehlers, Scheifle, Laine, Trouba) are completely mitigated by the bad news (Special Teams, Goaltending and Coaching).

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/yost-the-jets-are-this-season-s-biggest-disappointment-1.698157

I certainly don't mind a little bit of national attention on the Coach/Management group. They are remarkably sheltered here and someone shining a brighter light on what they are/are not doing is welcome.

I don't mind criticising our management group but he doesn't even mention the fact that the the JETS are leading the league in man games lost to injuries. Does he not think that our 5 on 5 play might not be impacted by that. Not a bad article but he should have balanced it more.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013

The Jets have certainly disappointed, and the issues of goaltending and special teams is chronic, but they have regularly played with 6-7 or more 1st and 2nd year players. The Leafs have been lauded as a success story, but if you reversed the injury situation the positioning in the points race would be reversed.

I think if we are debating about whether they the most disappointing or the second most disappointing, we are missing the overall point. It's a bad team that isn't getting better. By many metrics, they are getting worse. I won't argue with you about where, precisely, they belong in the pantheon of craptitude, but they are there...whether we like it our not.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Crap article, I'm not even a big fan of our coaching staff but to ignore the injury issues is pretty short sighted.

Nobody cares outside of Winnipeg anyway.

LoveNHL

Jun 15, 2015
Sweden
I don't mind criticising our management group but he doesn't even mention the fact that the the JETS are leading the league in man games lost to injuries. Does he not think that our 5 on 5 play might not be impacted by that. Not a bad article but he should have balanced it more.

I think most of us expected more. Having a team with the defensive issues falls on the coach. We can't blame the offensive side of the game.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Crap article, I'm not even a big fan of our coaching staff but to ignore the injury issues is pretty short sighted.

Nobody cares outside of Winnipeg anyway.

Have we been a lot better when players were back? We still dress Thorburn.

Villert

Dec 29, 2009
I would have liked to see the article mention both injuries and schedule (I think this really hurt us early on with no practices for a month+) - but the rest isn't wrong. While many individuals on the team had a great season, the team's season as a whole was incredibly disappointing.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Little was out for 6 weeks.
Myers has been out the whole season.
Perreault was out for about a month.

All the other injuries have been pretty short term or to bit players.

Since December 1, the most significant injury was Laine's concussion (8 games?).

Losing our 3rd best RD for the season shouldn't be the tipping point between making the playoffs and the bottom 5.

There's a lot more wrong with this team than injuries. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think if we are debating about whether they the most disappointing or the second most disappointing, we are missing the overall point. It's a bad team that isn't getting better. By many metrics, they are getting worse. I won't argue with you about where, precisely, they belong in the pantheon of craptitude, but they are there...whether we like it our not.

This graph looks like this every year.

Teams that have the highest amount of injuries (quantified here based on caphit lost) have the lowest point totals. Teams above the regression line tend to have high PDO (yellow circles) and teams below the line have low PDO (blue circles).

It's not much of a mystery. When you aren't able to play your best players, you can't perform as well. It's not just the Jets... Dallas, LAK, Tampa, etc.

View attachment 94395

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I heard many pundits pick Dallas to play in the Stanley Cup final. I didn't hear any picking the Jets to do that.

I guess given Yost's analytical take on things the Jets are the most disappointing in a statistical sense?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Since December 1, the most significant injury was Laine's concussion (8 games?).

Losing our 3rd best RD for the season shouldn't be the tipping point between making the playoffs and the bottom 5.

There's a lot more wrong with this team than injuries. But yeah, dismiss criticism...that's the True North (woo!) way. ;)

Trouba has missed a 1/4 of the season that's pretty significant as well.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

There's a lot more wrong with this team than injuries. But yeah, dismiss criticism...that's the True North (woo!) way. ;)

Nobody's dismissing the valid criticism, but ignoring injuries is ignoring facts with evidentiary value. Suggesting that the Jets have not had their performance impacted by injuries is contrary to evidence. What is the purpose of doing that?

By the way, you forgot Trouba, Laine, Enstrom, Armia, Dano, etc. Every time one of them is out, they are replaced by a less effective player, which affects the team's performance. Take out Gardiner, Rielly, Kadri, Zaitsev, Brown, Matthews and Komarov from the Leafs line-up for the same amount of time and that team wouldn't be anywhere near where they are in either points or overall performance. Do you agree?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Who's the moron that's hosting the Radio show with O'Neil and Mclennon?

Inferiority complex? How about a superiority complex from Toronto? It's people like him that create all the idiot leaf fans on boards like this.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I agree that injuries had somewhat of an effect on the season, but to be honest we haven't been that much better when healthy (except Myers). Mostly I'm just tired of the excuses. A great team and great management would find a way to mitigate the injury effects.

Being young is another excuse, except our young players are our best players.

The schedule was another one, but everyone is playing 82 games in the same amount of time.

We have a lot of excuses.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Good article, he hits on many of the main points. He should of commented on injuries, but durability is a characteristic that goes into a players value just as much as anything else. So we shouldn't whine or be shocked when some of our glass players get hurt (MP/Myers, etc).

It's so sad that this team mutes any criticism of it via the local media and the local media has no backbone. We need to depend on national media to hold our team accountable. Pathetic

Another completely lost and pathetic year, ticket prices go up though, Chipman profits, Chevy/PMO get paid and sounds like they've "EARNED" extensions. Zero accountability, brutal.

Without significant changes this offseason this team is another bottom ten team. Key is which significant changes? It's actually very hard to be a non playoff team, some playoff teams are so bad.....yet we can't even squeak into the playoffs as one of the bottom feeders 5 of 6 years. Unreal

MikeRahl

Feb 20, 2010
The only place the defense was mentioned was a throw away line at the end of the article. 'They can use at least one more defender'.

A competent group of defenders (read: one without the pu-pu-platter combinations of Melchiori, Postma, Chiarot and Stuart) helps the goalie save percentage issue, helps the lower corsi, helps the discipline issue at least a bit.

Does anyone have the number of games that the top 4 projected D going into the season actually played together?

Myers was playing most of the time that Trouba held out, but hasn't played since (before?). Enstrom has been out a bunch. Trouba has missed a few games here and there since he's been back.

The Jets are lucky that Morrissey stepped up and played as he did or else this season would have been uglier even from the start.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Trouba has missed a 1/4 of the season that's pretty significant as well.

The Jets were 11-13-2 (.461) on December 1.

At that point we got everyone but Myers back. And the schedule lightened up.

The Jets are 19-20-5 (.488) since December 1.

There's a lot more wrong with this team than injuries.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I fully get we have had a lot of injuries, but I think we've been "healthy enough" for long enough, and we still are not seeing any sort of positive turnaround. :dunno:

We lost Myers November 11 but gained Trouba November 11, so we still had a top 4 of Byfuglien, Trouba, Enstrom and the emergence of Morrissey. Since Trouba's return he has missed 3 games, 1 being a couple of nights ago vs. Nashville.

Bryan Little missed 17 games to start of the season, but returned November 29th.

Perreault has missed 14 games at the start of the season, but returned December 1st.

I don't know, I see our injuries, but I also see we've been pretty healthy with our key players since December 1st. A lot of our man games lost to injury have come from Myers, Little and Perreault to start the season, and then mostly depth players like Stafford, Armia, Dano, Matthias. And to be honest, I think our forward depth is good enough to overcome those injuries to the point where it shouldn't sink the team, or be the key reason for the teams lack of success from December onward.

As far as key players go, from about December 1st onward we've had sporadic injury to depth guys for the most part, but the results are still very unflattering. Goaltending very unflattering. Special teams very unflattering. Our 5on5 unflattering/on the whole worse all around from last season. Our lack of any sort of consistency or identity is very unflattering. Our lack of discipline is very unflattering.

I rank our issues as: goaltending/coaching and then injuries. I just think from December 1st onward this team could have shown better given the key drivers on the team have pretty well, for the most part, been healthy. Every team in the league sustains a certain amount of injuries. It's going to happen.

What is our man games lost to injury from December 1st to today?

Had Chevy gotten this team goaltending help, and Maurice either changed some systems/philosophies or of been replaced, I think it's reasonable to say the season could have been salvaged with a more proactive approach.

Maybe I am wrong. :dunno:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Don't worry TSN will do an article about how the Leafs are this years biggest surprises because of their young age

fyi the Jets are the youngest team in the NHL

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Have we been a lot better when players were back? We still dress Thorburn.

I don't disagree, like I said I'm not a fan of this coaching staff regardless, but to not acknowledge the injuries and games lost in the first half is lacking. It would affect any team.

Troubaloobaloop

Jul 17, 2014
Vancouver
I like that he did the article and roasted us.

He did ignore injuries but I'm hoping this puts a bit of pressure on someone in the organization to address our blaring issues.

If the theme next year is "Jets need better goaltending, defense, and to take less penalties" I'll be calling for not only PoMo's head, but also Chevy's.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I don't disagree, like I said I'm not a fan of this coaching staff regardless, but to not acknowledge the injuries and games lost in the first half is lacking. It would affect any team.

Mentioning them sure, but we haven't had significant injuries since the first 3rd of the season. It's the latest excuse.

I thought this was a development year? Why do we need excuses? Is it because it's obvious this team should be a lot better and coaching and management are holding us back?

I'm not directing this at you, I have a pretty good idea where you stand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad