Salary Cap: Yohe! There's a Bombulie in the Molinari sauce! (Not da media thread.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
We need Spaling gone so people here can finally shut the **** up about him not being what they want, then when he does well elsewhere, it'll be funny.

I just want him gone to make the *****ing stop.

I'm with you on this one Honour, all the guy does wrong, is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. It just so happened that JR+Spaling's agent made him richer than he should have been. He is a cap problem, NOT a bottom 6 problem by any means. The hate on him is mostly misguided as he does his job down there and he does it well. Ultimately, if we hadn't been cap ****ed last season, nobody would be talking about him like he's **** or something.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I wouldn't trade Maatta. We know he's a sure fire top 4 D and we'll need him badly if/when Martin and Ehrhoff leave in UFA.

I'm not going to downplay Pouliot. I think Pouliot will be a star in this league and I do have concerns. Mainly with Kris Letang's health and the fact that he may be one big hit away from the end of his career and Pouliot is the only guy in the system that has any chance to replace his production should that happen. That said, I'd probably still give up Pouliot for Kessel. Sometimes you just have to take chances and we're gambling on Letang's long-term health but you got to do what you got to do to try to take the team next level. Kessel is a difference maker.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not a fan of Franson.
Not sold on Sekera being what this team needs.
Green fits the bill for me if Letang has his annual injury after 50-60 games and we're boned for a PMD and have to rush a kid.

This is the reality.

I'm with you on this one Honour, all the guy does wrong, is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. It just so happened that JR+Spaling's agent made him richer than he should have been. He is a cap problem, NOT a bottom 6 problem by any means. The hate on him is mostly misguided as he does his job down there and he does it well. Ultimately, if we hadn't been cap ****ed last season, nobody would be talking about him like he's **** or something.

He's done everything the team has asked of him, he'd likely get as much as he did if not slightly more if he was a UFA and the Pens didn't trade for him. The real issue is that people wanted a pick and not a solid not "Matt Martin physical" bottom 6 player that played on virtually every line and forward position last season when the team needed him to. Best of luck to the guy elsewhere, hope the fans appreciate him there (funny thing is, almost every fan of any team I have talked to, like his game except us).

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
What about letang as part of a kessel trade? All I've read is they want young and prospects, but would they deny letang due to his contract? And he's 27 that's not old just yet.

Not saying I want to get rid of letang, just curious if that's even something that's been discussed.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I really think we should take another approach than go for Kessel. But IF we reade for him we will lose at least pouliot and our 1st next season. The biggest problem is losing pouliot. I see it clear as day that Letang doesn't cut it as the PP qb. And if we lose pouliot we need to go after a QB either via another trade or FA. But who would that be? Green? Lol

I get what you're saying, but having 87, 71, 72, and Phil on the first unit with 58 would probably make up for Letang not being a true PP qb, at least in comparison to years past.

We were never really afforded an extended look at what Sid and Geno would look like with another elite forward and an elite net-front guy on the PP. I woulld bet that Letang becomes an afterthought to the opposition for almost every team on the kill, if not all of them.

It's not like we haven't relied on the 1st unit's success before.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What about letang as part of a kessel trade? All I've read is they want young and prospects, but would they deny letang due to his contract? And he's 27 that's not old just yet.

Not saying I want to get rid of letang, just curious if that's even something that's been discussed.

Letang has a 12 team no trade list.

I get the feeling Toronto is on it. Also, Pens can NOT afford to lose Letang without someone that is ready to take over the PMD job, in other words...filling one hole and creating a crater.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I get what you're saying, but having 87, 71, 72, and Phil on the first unit with 58 would probably make up for Letang not being a true PP qb, at least in comparison to years past.

We were never really afforded an extended look at what Sid and Geno would look like with another elite forward and an elite net-front guy on the PP. I woulld bet that Letang becomes an afterthought to the opposition for almost every team on the kill, if not all of them.

It's not like we haven't relied on the 1st unit's success before.

Letang is a PPQB, just not the type we want him to be.

We want the point shooting son of a gun that was Sarge and Letang isn't it, Letang is another playmaker on the powerplay that is being used as a point man and he's not comfortable at it so the team tries to force Malkin back to the point and **** gets hairy.

Having 3 solid puck movers to find shooters is not a bad thing, the bad thing is not having any shooters. Hornqvist wreaks havoc in front of the net or near it and Sid and Geno rarely like to shoot unless it's a perfect pass, the other option is usually Kunitz and he sucks balls.

Kessel would allow them to have a guy with a damn good shot.

Even Skinner would.

Callista Rhian

Dec 27, 2014
Land of Ice & Snow
We need Spaling gone so people here can finally shut the **** up about him not being what they want, then when he does well elsewhere, it'll be funny.

I just want him gone to make the *****ing stop.

But that would be letting the people who are *****ing (who are wrong) win :rant:

Like you and the Penguinator said, he's performed his role perfectly and has done whatever was asked from him. I'd actually be pretty ****ing mad if he isn't on our roster next season.

Sure, his cap hit is a bit higher than we'd like, but that's the price of versatility.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
Not a fan of Franson.
Not sold on Sekera being what this team needs.
Green fits the bill for me if Letang has his annual injury after 50-60 games and we're boned for a PMD and have to rush a kid.

This is the reality.

He's done everything the team has asked of him, he'd likely get as much as he did if not slightly more if he was a UFA and the Pens didn't trade for him. The real issue is that people wanted a pick and not a solid not "Matt Martin physical" bottom 6 player that played on virtually every line and forward position last season when the team needed him to. Best of luck to the guy elsewhere, hope the fans appreciate him there (funny thing is, almost every fan of any team I have talked to, like his game except us).

FWIW I srsly like Spaling. The Pens have a dearth of solid/average/reliable players in their depth.

He's what Sutter should be.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Speaking of PPQB,any scouting reports on Jeff Taylor?I'm really curious how he looks on PP.He has better production than Mike Reilly at the same age.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
Pens should just sign Frolik and call it a day imo. love that player

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Let's assume both Backes and Oshie get traded, sure Stastny and Lehtera would be the top 6 C's, but after that I think Sutter would actually be a really good fit there on the 3rd line. It sounds like Berglund might get moved too, but he can still play wing. If I'm not mistaken Schwartz plays pretty much exclusively on the wing nowadays, no? I watched quite a few Blues games this year and Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko was their 2nd line from what I can remember.

If they trade Backes then sure, it becomes much more likely.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So what's the consensus deal-breaker regarding Kessel? For me it's Maatta.

Kessel's not my first choice for a number of reasons, but if it came right down to it I could live with a package built around Pouliot or Kapanen, but not both.

"To the Beemobile!"

And, boy am I anticipating some fireworks in this forum. Maybe another "eternal flame" thread for a different player.

More than likely with JR around.

penguins2946*

I mean, not like any of us didn't know this already, but still worth sharing. It's encouraging to see it's not just a single winger and could be multiple ones.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
So what's the consensus deal-breaker regarding Kessel? Maatta?

The guy's not my first choice for a number of reasons, but if it came right down to it I could live with a package built around Pouliot or Kapanen, but not both.

That's where I'm at, except he is close to my first choice at least. I could certainly lean towards Skinner or someone on his level plus a 3rd wheel top 6 guy like Frolik though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That's where I'm at, except he is close to my first choice at least. I could certainly lean towards Skinner or someone on his level plus a 3rd wheel top 6 guy like Frolik though.

I love Skinner's skill and creativity, but man, he's a tough buy at this point. Small, relatively slow, offense-only, dwindling returns since his concussions...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
https://www.hockeyscap.com/armchair-gm/team/7035

Martin on this team is just a stopgap 2nd pair D that we could get for slightly less than Ehrhoff got last year. I don't expect Martin to sign for that little, he's just an example.

I'll admit, adding Kessel is the one exception where I'd be happy with a top 4 D, because he transforms our offense enough to give us a shot right away I think.

penguins2946*

I love Skinner's skill and creativity, but man, he's a tough buy at this point. Small, relatively slow, offense-only, dwindling returns since his concussions...

Skinner is not at all slow, and he's the same size as Crosby. His bad season last year is concerning, but every Canes player had a bad season last year.

penguins2946*

I think I'm one of the only people on here that doesn't think Kessel will solve our problems. I'm off the Kessel train and onto the Pens future train.

I wasn't aware that someone signed for 7 more years and hasn't missed a game in 5 years isn't a future piece. Who would have guessed?

I swear, people would be fine with winning nothing and pissing away Crosby and Malkin's primes if it means we have a good prospect pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad