Salary Cap: Yohe! There's a Bombulie in the Molinari sauce! (Not da media thread.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Yeah, Max Talbot's playoff resume says otherwise too. So did Bryan Bickell's.

Now you're just cherry picking :laugh: Bickell is the exception not the rule, and Talbot never had the playoff resume of Beleskey (arguably came close right after the '09 run...in which he was centered by Malkin).

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
"What is uuuup with Blake Comeau?"
jerry_seinfeld065.jpg

But seriously. He wants to come back. Had an awesome year with us. He'd be a killer bottom 6 guy. Any talk about what he's asking for in terms of money or term? Or if his agent & GMJR have even spoke?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't know, maybe it's just me. I see it as a case of "best player on a bad team" syndrome. Anyone with any kind of talent is going to stick out on that ****-show. And I certainly wouldn't want to pay what the cost would be for that.

Actually it is the complete opposite. Boedker is excelling in a defensive minded system.
He is a very similar player in terms of effort and compete level to Hornqvist.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Skinner would be great... except for the fact he averages about one concussion per season. He is in the same boat as Letang. Big talent but prone to serious injuries, particularly those related to concussions.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Now you're just cherry picking :laugh: Bickell is the exception not the rule, and Talbot never had the playoff resume of Beleskey (arguably came close right after the '09 run...in which he was centered by Malkin).

Talbot scores .46 points per game over his playoff career compared to Beleskey's .5. Talbot had the exact same .5 ppg in the playoffs when he last signed as a free agent. Except he also scored some of the biggest goals in two consecutive cup runs in there. I don't think its hard to argue that Talbot had a better playoff resume at one point in time.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com

To be fair to Max Talbot he was at least 6th in team scoring during each playoff run he had with Pittsburgh. 7th with Philadelphia. It's popular to say that he had an undeserved reputation just because he showed up in Game 7 in 2009 but with the exception of last season with the Aves he was an extremely steady playoff performer in his day.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Skinner would be great... except for the fact he averages about one concussion per season. He is in the same boat as Letang. Big talent but prone to serious injuries, particularly those related to concussions.

Skinner has missed 40 games in his career. Can we sticky that to the top of each page of this thread?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If there is a guy who can thrive with "slow" wingers its him, the way he can possess the puck and slow the game down like no other.

He can make it work, sure. But its still something to consider. If we have already acquired Skinner or someone, would I want to give up assets for Oshie over just signing Frolik as a FA? I don't think so.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
The whole team was a nightmare. I don't think they were all concussed.

Actually.. :laugh:

Alex Semin - wrist surgery, Jordan Staal - broken leg, Eric Staal - playing on the wing. They each had some issue that prevented them from playing up to their potential. I'd be slightly concerned if I were a GM looking to give up big assets for Skinner.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Skinner has missed 40 games in his career. Can we sticky that to the top of each page of this thread?

Holy crap!

199px-frank_barone.jpg

You are correct Mr. Ogre. I guess because his injuries happened in consecutive years it seemed like he missed more time than he did. My error and now I shall throw the full weight of the dark side behind #SkinnerWatch. Skill-wise / style-wise he'd be even better than Kessel IMO.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Oshie absolutely plays a grittier game though.

I mean, sure, but people are going around talking about Jeff Smurpher and then talking about TJ Brasky. I just think context is important.

I also think the top-6 needs someone like Skinner more than someone like Oshie, but I dunno.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Actually.. :laugh:

Alex Semin - wrist surgery, Jordan Staal - broken leg, Eric Staal - playing on the wing. They each had some issue that prevented them from playing up to their potential. I'd be slightly concerned if I were a GM looking to give up big assets for Skinner.

I'd be slightly concerned if I were a GM looking to give up big assets for just about anybody.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Talbot scores .46 points per game over his playoff career compared to Beleskey's .5. Talbot had the exact same .5 ppg in the playoffs when he last signed as a free agent. Except he also scored some of the biggest goals in two consecutive cup runs in there. I don't think its hard to argue that Talbot had a better playoff resume at one point in time.

Talbot was centered by Evgeni Malkin at his absolute peak for a 24 game run. That tends to boost one's numbers as I said, and his playoff resume is still not as good as Beleskey's. Goal-per-game numbers are much lower as well, outside of that one run.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Holy crap!

199px-frank_barone.jpg

You are correct Mr. Ogre. I guess because his injuries happened in consecutive years it seemed like he missed more time than he did. My error and now I shall throw the full weight of the dark side behind #SkinnerWatch. Skill-wise / style-wise he'd be even better than Kessel IMO.

no way would he be better here then kessel. But we could afford Skinner and someone like Frolik.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad