Yo, Brian Gionta

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
What a pointless way to look at this. Its not like Ott and Gionta were swapped for each other and everything else stayed the same.

I'm not here to defend Gionta's play but your ranting about him is getting a tad ridiculous. How does looking at our record pre and post Ott trade tell us anything about Gionta or anything else for that matter?

I do dare you to find a rant on any one player, produced by me. Please.

Yet again, God forbid someone points out a deficiency!

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
what do you want out of him exactly, as captain? He's tied for 4th on the team in scoring. Not an impressive resume in a vacuum but this is shaping up to literally be one of the worst teams ever

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I do dare you to find a rant on any one player, produced by me. Please.

Yet again, God forbid someone points out a deficiency!

I have no issue with calling out deficiencies. So spare me the indignation. Gionta hasn't played well at all and I haven't argued otherwise. But it's pretty irrational to go on about our post Ott record is if that has any bearing on anything.

kcoxsabresfan

May 4, 2010
what you're seeing is people being ground down from the frustration of watching a hockey team we all desperately want to be good be epically bad

I feel like this is the problem with your HGTV analogy. On that channel they make a nice little demo montage and edit out most of the tedious hammer and nail work. Instead they produce an interesting show about design, building products, and the big reveal. Meanwhile, in sabre land, we're stuck watching a two year plumbing job, and oh yeah, these pipes aren't up to code... and we're going to need to knock out that masonry to make an egress for the basement bedroom. That's a long time to stay in a residence inn.

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
I feel like this is the problem with your HGTV analogy. On that channel they make a nice little demo montage and edit out most of the tedious hammer and nail work. Instead they produce an interesting show about design, building products, and the big reveal. Meanwhile, in sabre land, we're stuck watching a two year plumbing job, and oh yeah, these pipes aren't up to code... and we're going to need to knock out that masonry to make an egress for the basement bedroom. That's a long time to stay in a residence inn.
So you're saying we need some fast-forward/editing. Turn off the tank until draft time. Oh, wake up around World Juniors time then hibernate again. That's what I'm doing.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I have no issue with calling out deficiencies. So spare me the indignation. Gionta hasn't played well at all and I haven't argued otherwise. But it's pretty irrational to go on about our post Ott record is if that has any bearing on anything.

A mere observation is all. Actually was pointed out by Harrington on the first intermission of the game that brought it to mind. Nobody is carrying on - just one statement.

Karate Johnson*

Is this an insinuation of "he's trying"?

Guess I expected a tad more. My fault. I don't notice him, for better or worse.

Unfortunately, I'd like to notice my Captain on occasion.

There you go thinking it matters.

Gionta is here and is the captain because he's from near the area. It has nothing to do with his ability or noticability.

Last edited by a moderator:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
A mere observation is all. Actually was pointed out by Harrington on the first intermission of the game that brought it to mind. Nobody is carrying on - just one statement.

Harrington? Come on jbuds I know you're a smarter hockey guy than that.

Karate Johnson*

what you're seeing is people being ground down from the frustration of watching a hockey team we all desperately want to be good be epically bad

That's why I can't watch.

I can't watch my team play games that I know they will lose, that I know is best for them to lose, and enjoy it.

No amount of Zemgus hustling a couple shifts a night makes the other 45 minutes worth it.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
But he brings the LEADERSHIP!!!

Your 'leaders' have to be good at hockey.

Leadership is an intangible and therefore impossible to quantify.

The same is not true of being good at hockey.

Nobody should have realistically thought Gionta was good at hockey at this point in his career.

The tedious mythology given to being Captain is even sillier than expecting Gionta to somehow carry the team through the hard times.

If the point is to finish last, Gionta might be the best captain in Sabres history. They should make Mez an assistant.

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
That's why I can't watch.

I can't watch my team play games that I know they will lose, that I know is best for them to lose, and enjoy it.

No amount of Zemgus hustling a couple shifts a night makes the other 45 minutes worth it.

I have decided to watch this year's Sabres the way I watch Minnesota or Michigan games...I look for progress out of players who will be future Sabres. This is nothing more than a developmental squad getting experience against NHL teams, supplemented heavily with placeholders where the real players will be.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Leadership is an intangible and therefore impossible to quantify.

The same is not true of being good at hockey.

Nobody should have realistically thought Gionta was good at hockey at this point in his career.

The tedious mythology given to being Captain is even sillier than expecting Gionta to somehow carry the team through the hard times.

If the point is to finish last, Gionta might be the best captain in Sabres history. They should make Mez an assistant.
In order for other players to listen to you, I think you have to at least be capable on the ice. And for me, I would think the best player or close to it. If you can't play anymore, then be a coach if you're such a leader.

And I couldn't agree more with you on captaincy.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
In order for other players to listen to you, I think you have to at least be capable on the ice. And for me, I would think the best player or close to it. If you can't play anymore, then be a coach if you're such a leader.

And I couldn't agree more with you on captaincy.

He is not incapable on the ice. He just is very average on a truly bad team. I think most of his leadership is shown to the young guys by his preparation, dealing with the media, basically being a pro in the worst of situations. The opposite of leino and ehroff to name a few.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
what do you want out of him exactly, as captain? He's tied for 4th on the team in scoring. Not an impressive resume in a vacuum but this is shaping up to literally be one of the worst teams ever

Exactly! I would have lost a large sum of money if someone would have bet me that after 16 games Gionta would have more points than Stewart/Hodgson and the same number of points as Moulson. Points-wise he may not be producing but he wasn't brought here to light up the lamp and you would be crazy to think otherwise. Besides that, the team is offensively challenged and he's playing equally as bad as all but three players on the roster.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I dont find the issue to be with our record under Gionta or his production but rather the length of the contract he was given. Honestly looking forward where does this team go after this horrid year? does Gionta deserve the C until his tenure is over? He's already playing like this year could be his last unlike say Gorges who many called for to have the captaincy. When the point comes that Girgensons is clearly the better candidate do you embarass the hometown hero Gionta by taking his C or do you keep rolling him out there because hes a "veteran"...?

I could care less about this year standings wise or stats wise because no amount of complaining from me is gonna change the talent or lack-their of on this team...however moving forward I'm concerned about Gionta and his role

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I feel it has less to do with his ability as a player and more about him becoming a role model. Older player nearing the end of his career passing on his work ethic and desire to be in the league, moving down the line up despite his history. To be there to answer questions for the younger guys, even if its just where to eat while on the road or what cliche to use in interviews.

Doesn't hurt that he is from the area and wanted to be a Sabre, goes for Moulson and Gorges as well. Maybe extra pride for the sweater when respected veterans want to be on the worst team in the league, it sends a message to other players that there is something worth being a part of.

Of course any scoring would be nice, but he still plays a good game and can score in the shootout.

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
I thought we just gave him the C so we could trade him for a first round pick. It's worked before could work again.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Will Gionta be this years Leino?

Will he go 82 games without a goal?

Who thinks he'll get a goal before 2015? The remainder of this season after Jan. 1st?

Will he duplicate Leino?

Hmm ... maybe a poll will flesh this out :biglaugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad