Yo, Brian Gionta

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Completely invisible.

Can't believe he is going to be making $4 million+ over the next two years.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Didn't think it was possible for our leadership core to be worse than it was last year.

What is our post-Ott record now? Horrific

Bps21*

It's going to be a long season of people confusing effort with ability.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
It's going to be a long season of people confusing effort with ability.

Is this an insinuation of "he's trying"?

Guess I expected a tad more. My fault. I don't notice him, for better or worse.

Unfortunately, I'd like to notice my Captain on occasion.

Bps21*

I'm not even talking about you. Really. Hearing the constant chatter of lack of effort.,.its not effort they lack it's possession, they don't have possession because they are so outclassed by every team they face. It's a maddeningly brilliant roster so perfectly assembled to never have a chance that it had to be done on purpose as it's the equivalent of those monkeys actually nailing that Shakespeare play on their typewriters.

The heads aren't down. The bench and locker room aren't quiet. They aren't being lazy. But the games are going to look exactly the same because you don't look good constantly backing up.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Didn't think it was possible for our leadership core to be worse than it was last year.

What is our post-Ott record now? Horrific

7-28-4....... :amazed: And only four overtime and regulation wins.

Prorated over a full season, that's 15-59-8 and 38 points.

I'm really starting to feel bad for this team. I don't think it's a case of not caring, but it's got to be really hard to show up to fight every game when you basically have to play a perfect game or get elite goaltending in order to win.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Is there something wrong with our roster? Our goalies have been great, our defense obviously blows, but our offense seems nonexistant. I know we don't have a group of superstar forwards but we have decent offensive depth and we shouldn't be struggling to score goals this badly. I look at a roster like Calgary's and ours and I don't see that big of a difference, obviously they have 2 top pair defenseman in Giordano and Brodie but still. I dunno, this sucks though. Getting McDavid or Eichel will make it worth it but still it really sucks. So hard to watch this team.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
I thought he was a 4th liner at best a few games ago...but now I feel like his ability (not effort) is completely gone. Too many miles, no size, the list goes on etc...I honestly hope he retires after this season. The captain SHOULD be Gorges or Girgensons to be completely honest.

And I don't just single out Gionta, I say the same (even more so) for Matt Moulson, and perhaps Cody Hodgson at times too.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Is there something wrong with our roster? Our goalies have been great, our defense obviously blows, but our offense seems nonexistant. I know we don't have a group of superstar forwards but we have decent offensive depth and we shouldn't be struggling to score goals this badly. I look at a roster like Calgary's and ours and I don't see that big of a difference, obviously they have 2 top pair defenseman in Giordano and Brodie but still. I dunno, this sucks though. Getting McDavid or Eichel will make it worth it but still it really sucks. So hard to watch this team.

I think the coaching makes a big difference. The Flames definitely have more talent than the Sabres, but it isn't as stark as their difference in records would indicate. Hartley is great and had them overachieving last year, too. Nolan just isn't an NHL-caliber head coach.

There is something wrong with the roster (built around a lot of poor possession players with a gaping lack of proven centers and defensemen), but they shouldn't be quite this bad.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
I sincerely hope that next season we have Grigorenko and Armia, plus a couple of our D-men in McCabe and Pysyk up on the NHL roster. We need an influx of young guys to bring some energy and skill to this lackluster offense in both energy and skill.

I saw tonight how the 3 youngest players on the team, who are such an important part of our core, were the ones buzzing around and making plays. Zadorov for example, wasn't perfect by any means, and needs work for sure, but I still loved his effort and his ability. The kid's got skill, and he's been showing so much effort too, you gotta love that. Risto same thing. Girgensons is ZemGod...enough said. They literally are the catalyst of this team, but they can only do so much with the lack of talent/determination that this team is SET UP to fail for.

I do believe with McEichel next season, PLUS Grigorenko, Armia, McCabe, Pysyk, Reinhart all added to the roster among others, we will be better. Not great, and definitely not where we need to be, but it'll be a significant improvement over this crap show we have. But this is rebuilding guys :/ It's painful...but requires patience! :(

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Look down the middle. None of them consistently drive offensive possession. Ennis is a black hole when the puck is on his stick. And if its not he doesn't support the play in a way that facilitates easy passes or control. Hodgson is worse this year across the board, but especially cannot get anything going on his own initiative. He has to have someone else get him the puck, which is a big problem. Girgensons is a great young player, but his own offensive game is still developing and he doesn't get the opportunity to regularly provide offense.

McEichel and a vet top 6 center will make a tremendous difference.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
It truly is embarrassing when your captain does not have a goal, especially when your making over 4 million a season. Unacceptable. I know Murray is smart at evaluating and drafting and that will be a strength but I question signing Gionta big time.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
It truly is embarrassing when your captain does not have a goal, especially when your making over 4 million a season. Unacceptable. I know Murray is smart at evaluating and drafting and that will be a strength but I question signing Gionta big time.

If everything that posters said was embarrassing actually was, no one would ever leave their house without a bag over their head. You question the signing because you believed his signing was related to the team attempting to win hockey games this season, when clearly it wasn't.

I think the moral of the story is, you shouldn't expect much on ice from a 35 yr old third liner who hasn't been anything more than a depth player for 5 years.

First, Giordano/Brodie isn't a top pairing, it's an emerging superstar pairing that will be one of the best in the league over the next few years. Second, Calgary has some obnoxious shooting percentages going on atm. They have 15 goal scorers, 9 of whom are sniping at 14%+ efficiency, 19 of their goals have come from players with 20%+, those aren't sustainable numbers. Third, their second D pairing is somewhere above absolute train wreck, ours isn't. Finally, Calgary is a team trending upwards. They're icing a good quantity of up and coming under 25 year olds, not last chance in the NHL players. There's a dramatic difference between where Buffalo is and where Calgary is and you shouldn't confuse a team taking it's first steps with a team still acquiring pieces.

Last edited:

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
@imlach... Is Gionta realistically meeting your expectations?

My expectations where around a less physical Steve Ott, so ya this is pretty much what I expected. The guys old, he wasn't that crucial to Montreal the last few years, he's a depth player clinging on to the end of his career, a 90 min drive from his family.

I didn't understand it last season when people started the "we wont be that bad" thread, I didn't understand it when people said Rolston was making this team worse, I didn't understand it when people said Nolan would make this team better, I didn't understand it when this years "they wont be that bad" thread was started, and I still don't understand it now that people are complaining that Nolan cant coach and that Gionta is a bust. There isn't just a bad team in Buffalo, there's a team that is intentionally bad.

I like to watch HGTV, its kinda dumb, but I like watching "Love it, or List it". They go into a house and the designers try to remodel it to make the family want to love it, and the real estate agent tries to find them a new house. There's always some woman that comes in during demolition and flips out, "Oh my god what happened to my sink, oh my god you'll never make that look good" and leaves crying that her home has been destroyed and the contractors are incompetent. Now excuse the reference but I think it fits. Murray is the designer with the plans, the team is the house, and Nolan is the truck load of Mexicans that turns the truck load of flooring and cabinets into a nicer house. The Mexicans don't make the ****** house more livable, they tear out the **** you don't want and tell you when its time for the next truck load of flooring to go in. Right now there's no flooring to put in. He's putting up points in the AHL. The Cabinets are scoring in juniors. The new stairs are playing college. There's nothing for the Mexicans to build, just an old, ****** house that has had its copper piping removed and sold to the highest bidder, the antique fixture stripped out and re-purposed, and the lawn torn to shreds by heavy construction equipment. Now you can fire the Mexicans, or you can ***** that counter-tops you're going to throw out in 2 seasons are ****** and they need to be replaced now, or you can accept that the new load of Mexicans and some better counters aren't putting a dent in the 12,000 sq ft of **** you're living in until new parts show up and just go stay at the Residence Inn for the next while and relax.

The point being, why does it matter if Gionta plays a little bit better right now? or Nolan gets the team to play a little bit better? or if Hartley gets the team to play a little bit better? Maybe one of those things happens and the teams is a little bit better, whats the end game? You still want to pick 1/2 right? So why are you knocking yourself out trying to find the biggest piece of corn in the turd? You aren't gonna eat it, just let it go. Just like every other kernel in the log. Cause when you find the biggest piece of corn there will be a new biggest piece and a new biggest piece, and eventually you'll be pissed off and covered in **** and you'll realize it was the turd, and not the corn that you didn't want sitting in your living room. Gionta and Nolan and hopefully Hodgson and Ennis and Stafford and Stewart and Benoit and Meszaros and whomever else you want to chuck on the burn pile, are just nasty pieces of corn and stinking poo.

Once you get rid of Nolan and Gionta, then it'll be on to Moulson and Stewart, then it'll be on Benoit and Meszaros, then Hodgson and Ennis, and by that time you'll have more replacement level players here that weren't good enough to go to playoff teams and those will be the guys you complain about. Until Murray decides its time to shovel the turd away... its still just poop. So either complain about the guy whose telling you its still poo time, or accept that poo time is getting you McEichel time.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
If Gionta is working hard on and off the ice, and not letting the losing impact his approach to the game, isn't that leadership the sabres are looking for?

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
I like to watch HGTV, its kinda dumb, but I like watching "Love it, or List it". They go into a house and the designers try to remodel it to make the family want to love it, and the real estate agent tries to find them a new house. There's always some woman that comes in during demolition and flips out, "Oh my god what happened to my sink, oh my god you'll never make that look good" and leaves crying that her home has been destroyed and the contractors are incompetent. Now excuse the reference but I think it fits. Murray is the designer with the plans, the team is the house, and Nolan is the truck load of Mexicans that turns the truck load of flooring and cabinets into a nicer house. The Mexicans don't make the ****** house more livable, they tear out the **** you don't want and tell you when its time for the next truck load of flooring to go in. Right now there's no flooring to put in. He's putting up points in the AHL. The Cabinets are scoring in juniors. The new stairs are playing college. There's nothing for the Mexicans to build, just an old, ****** house that has had its copper piping removed and sold to the highest bidder, the antique fixture stripped out and re-purposed, and the lawn torn to shreds by heavy construction equipment. Now you can fire the Mexicans, or you can ***** that counter-tops you're going to throw out in 2 seasons are ****** and they need to be replaced now, or you can accept that the new load of Mexicans and some better counters aren't putting a dent in the 12,000 sq ft of **** you're living in until new parts show up and just go stay at the Residence Inn for the next while and relax.

The point being, why does it matter if Gionta plays a little bit better right now? or Nolan gets the team to play a little bit better? or if Hartley gets the team to play a little bit better? Maybe one of those things happens and the teams is a little bit better, whats the end game? You still want to pick 1/2 right? So why are you knocking yourself out trying to find the biggest piece of corn in the turd? You aren't gonna eat it, just let it go. Just like every other kernel in the log. Cause when you find the biggest piece of corn there will be a new biggest piece and a new biggest piece, and eventually you'll be pissed off and covered in **** and you'll realize it was the turd, and not the corn that you didn't want sitting in your living room. Gionta and Nolan and hopefully Hodgson and Ennis and Stafford and Stewart and Benoit and Meszaros and whomever else you want to chuck on the burn pile, are just nasty pieces of corn and stinking poo.

:laugh:

what the hell was this?

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I'm not sure what everyone was expecting. He's an old depth player with a lot of mileage playing on one of the worst teams in hockey history. There is no talent on this roster to help insulate his shortcomings.

He was signed for three years and will never hinder Buffalo's ability to make flexible moves under the cap. If he doesn't call it quits in the next year or two, he'll be relegated to fourth-line duties come year three and be largely insulated by the bevy of talented players Murray will have drafted/signed/traded for by then.

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
I like to watch HGTV, its kinda dumb, but I like watching "Love it, or List it". They go into a house and the designers try to remodel it to make the family want to love it, and the real estate agent tries to find them a new house. There's always some woman that comes in during demolition and flips out, "Oh my god what happened to my sink, oh my god you'll never make that look good" and leaves crying that her home has been destroyed and the contractors are incompetent.

Also don't forget the part where all/most of the houses are 50+ years old and the homeowners are always surprised with the major structural faults or termites or water damage etc. etc. that seems to be uncovered during repairs. Well they probably bought the house because they saved money. And now they can't have a new kitchen and new laundry room AND new xxxx room but can have one of those rooms and it will look really good.

Buffalo on the other hand is spending money on these types (Gionta et al) because they have to get to the salary floor, even though Murray knows those pieces are mostly junk, it will help out in the rebuild process.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00