Recalled/Assigned: Yip, Kennedy up; Lessio, Brown down

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Why would we scapegoat these two? Lessio was benched for the third last night, as far as I could tell. Brown, though, ended up with PP time and looked damn good as a screen in front of Nabakov. The kind of thing we could really use. Plus, he was one of very few with an effective physical game last night that ACTUALLY helped the forecheck. Plenty of guys were hitting, but Brown's board play was actually beneficial.

I don't like this at all. Makes no sense. What the hell are Kennedy and Yip going to do to help get Boedker, Ribeiro, and Doan off their *****? Are Kennedy and Yip going to help our defense stop playing whiskey drunk fourteen year olds?

Maybe Don just wanted to get these kids away from this toxic environment of losing?

I just don't know. Makes no sense.

Agree, Brown showed to be an ICREDIBLE and DEFINITE, OVERWHELMING IMPROVEMENT over Doan on the pp.!

I think you have found the answer Sir.... get 'em away from the toxic environment :laugh:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It would be interesting to hear how Tippett explain this move.

We see it as some form of punishment after the game last night, but the demotion might be for another reason.

For example it could be that Tippett knows that these two young players are not going to get a lot of ice time in the coming games (all road games) so he prefers to send them down and get more experienced guys around.

I think Tip is sending them down knowing they will get more ice time and develop in the AHL. He brings Yip up for some jump and forecheck and maybe Kennedy for a spark. Next game I see Yip, Biz, Dmo, and maybe Klesla in. I see Runblad and Schlemko out. I am not sure Kennedy will play in Detroit, but I could see a surprise forward scratch, maybe a veteran to send a message. I doubt it will be Doan, Ribs, Bods, Hanzel, Verby though...

Mayo Taco Monday

Mar 5, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Tippet is on the radio and he said that Brown and Lessio were sent down to get away from the losing team. He said that when a team is losing, young players tend to back off and let the vets take over.

In our situation, the vets are the problem, so if the young players back off, no one is playing properly.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I think Tip is sending them down knowing they will get more ice time and develop in the AHL. He brings Yip up for some jump and forecheck and maybe Kennedy for a spark. Next game I see Yip, Biz, Dmo, and maybe Klesla in. I see Runblad and Schlemko out. I am not sure Kennedy will play in Detroit, but I could see a surprise forward scratch, maybe a veteran to send a message. I doubt it will be Doan, Ribs, Bods, Hanzel, Verby though...

Well Yips hands are better than Lessio's and perhaps better than Brown's, but both those guys forecheck like banchees..... Still can't figure out Kennedy.

Is he looking for more offense from the bottom???

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Tippet is on the radio and he said that Brown and Lessio were sent down to get away from the losing team. He said that when a team is losing, young players tend to back off and let the vets take over.

In our situation, the vets are the problem, so if the young players back off, no one is playing properly.

DING DING DING DING

RT is our winner with: Get 'em away from the toxic environment! :laugh:

After a might bit of reflection this makes some decent sense: The vets might feel awful realizing it was their PATHETIC performance that got the lads sent down and come to pull theirs heads out.

Last edited:

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
Why would we scapegoat these two? Lessio was benched for the third last night, as far as I could tell. Brown, though, ended up with PP time and looked damn good as a screen in front of Nabakov. The kind of thing we could really use. Plus, he was one of very few with an effective physical game last night that ACTUALLY helped the forecheck. Plenty of guys were hitting, but Brown's board play was actually beneficial.

I don't like this at all. Makes no sense. What the hell are Kennedy and Yip going to do to help get Boedker, Ribeiro, and Doan off their *****? Are Kennedy and Yip going to help our defense stop playing whiskey drunk fourteen year olds?

Maybe Don just wanted to get these kids away from this toxic environment of losing?

Some strong words right there:laugh:

Welcome to the ledge, RT. It's mighty cozy out here.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I was exaggerated. Just saying that the team is playing poorly, tension is running high, there have been some players only meetings and coaches calling guys out already, it's the rough going of NHL life and maybe DT feels more comfortable with veteran players at this moment. Let the kids be first liners in Portland while the older guys can deal with being fourth line grinders until the group can pull their collective heads out of their collective *****.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
It's a good thing Detroit is the perfect place to end a toxic environment of losing:laugh:

3-1 Red-wings (if Smith stands on his head).

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
I was exaggerated. Just saying that the team is playing poorly, tension is running high, there have been some players only meetings and coaches calling guys out already, it's the rough going of NHL life and maybe DT feels more comfortable with veteran players at this moment. Let the kids be first liners in Portland while the older guys can deal with being fourth line grinders until the group can pull their collective heads out of their collective *****.

I agree. Let the ship sink without the future on it.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Tippet seems more open and upbeat with his press talks this year. I like it.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010

Very good point. Good move.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Personally, I'm happy they're rotating these guys through. Even though Portland lacks veteran leadership, if they keep these guys hungry, they should get good production out of all of them.

Long term, spoon feeding Lessio and Brown a couple of games before the AHL season starts is a good plan to set them up for solid seasons. It gives them a clear challenge for what they need to work on, yet gives them a chance to go back down and polish. I didn't expect these two to make it out of camp and thought both of them could use an AHL season. I imagine as long as they keep up their game in Portland, they'll be back as soon as injuries start to mount.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Yeah, that's what I initially thought when I heard they were being sent to Portland. Lessio and Brown have played very well overall, but I agree that they're probably tightening up and deferring to the vets too much when the team is losing, instead of taking the initiative and generating chances on their own. But we'll see them again when things stabilize and we're back to playing Coyote hockey.

In the meantime, I think Yip will have no problems getting in the swing of things. Kennedy I know very little about, so it'll be interesting to see how he performs.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I agree. Let the ship sink without the future on it.
THIS is over-dramatic ...
... but this I buy. "Going through a small, intense storm with an inexperienced crew" might be a better metaphor than the ship sinking, but we'll see ...

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
At best this move is questionable but not neither a bad or good move either as we will have to wait to see what happens as a result. Remember that OEL when he 1st made the team had to get sent down to the AHL for sometime shortly into his 1st NHL season and look at how he is doing now.

Of course I want to see a better distribution of minutes for those who are playing. OEL, Hanzal, Vrbata really do deserve more of the minutes than many of the other players right now.

JoeGarelli

Jun 24, 2013

i dont know how to double quote, but someone mention they're only playing 5 minutes a night..

plus the above, let them go play top line minutes..

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be

it makes no sense to 'us'.. that's a key point.

the funny thing is I bet Yip or Kennedy will score in their first game, one again reminding us we don't know what DT knows.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The two youngsters that brought speed and energy should have moved up the depth chart, not down to the minors. Instead we want more grinding when our offense is anemic. This is typical Tippett. You have to wonder how this team is going to develop offensive prospects under Tippett. You have them either turning on the organization or going into a shell like Boeds. Frustrating to say the least. Trading our young guys for vets seems like the only solution.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
As a result of sending the kids who earned the spots down, and calling up guys who are what they are at this point, I now have ZERO hesitations about trying to bring in some top six help. I was in the "wait and see" mode because I wouldn't want to take away opportunities from guys who JUST earned spots, but that's no longer an issue. Let's get another winger. We need a poor man's Vrbata for the Ribeiro line. Someone who can get into position and finish off chances if spoon fed golden opportunities. What the hell happened with Latendresse? Let's call him back. Time to bring up Heatley, Gionta and Malone again?

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
We look like crap, especiall our first two lines. Sending these guys down won't help, we need to make a trade like all of us have been saying for weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad