Recalled/Assigned: Yip, Kennedy up; Lessio, Brown down

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
What the hell happened with Latendresse? Let's call him back. Time to bring up Heatley, Gionta and Malone again?

What must have happenned in camp for Latendresse to be cut loose. He seemed like just what we need, and would have cost no assets. After seeing the defensive performance the last 2 games I am hesitant to trade Klesla, but something needs to be done and soon. It looks like there are chemistry problems all over this team right now.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
:boredom:

Anyway...will be interesting to see how Yip and Kennedy perform.

knowsthegame

Mar 18, 2008
Tale of 2 NHL cities
If you look around the league there are rookies playing on the top 2 lines getting decent minutes. Tippett clearly wants vets. I think it was Don that was pushing to give some young guys a try but Tippet has already said - I want my vets!

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Strange move but man are you guys paranoid. The Yotes are 1-2, three games into a 82 game season. Tip has a track record, trust it.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Strange move but man are you guys paranoid. The Yotes are 1-2, three games into a 82 game season. Tip has a track record, trust it.

Ultimately there is little doubt that this stance is the correct one. The trust in Don and Tip approach rarely disappoints. I'm with you, there.

It's just too clear that we've only got five top six forwards. Zero of which are elite level players that can make up for being short a guy. The problem lays in the top six, and seeing what ain't broke in the bottom six getting shuffled about can be frustrating for powerless fans who are completely in the dark about which irons are in what fires on the trade front. That frustration tends to get magnified when your team gets outright humiliated two games in a row.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tippet is on the radio and he said that Brown and Lessio were sent down to get away from the losing team. He said that when a team is losing, young players tend to back off and let the vets take over.

In our situation, the vets are the problem, so if the young players back off, no one is playing properly.

That makes sense. Now I feel better after that explanation.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Time to bring up Heatley, Gionta and Malone again?

Maybe Erat? He's not getting quality minutes in Washington. Anyone know if he lined up at all with Ribeiro last year during their (abbreviated) time together in Washington?

I'd rather go for a more surefire offensive guy, but Erat isn't a terrible alternative either. Certainly not for our group.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ultimately there is little doubt that this stance is the correct one. The trust in Don and Tip approach rarely disappoints. I'm with you, there.

It's just too clear that we've only got five top six forwards. Zero of which are elite level players that can make up for being short a guy. The problem lays in the top six, and seeing what ain't broke in the bottom six getting shuffled about can be frustrating for powerless fans who are completely in the dark about which irons are in what fires on the trade front. That frustration tends to get magnified when your team gets outright humiliated two games in a row.

Caps and Yotes seem like such perfect trade partners. The Caps have too many top 6 forwards (Erat hello) while the Yotes are deep on D. Yotes need a top 6 forward, Caps need a 4D. If Klesla comes back and proves he is healthy, I think there is a really good chance he lands in DC for perhaps Erat or a bigger deal involving picks and Marcus Johansson.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
As a result of sending the kids who earned the spots down, and calling up guys who are what they are at this point, I now have ZERO hesitations about trying to bring in some top six help. I was in the "wait and see" mode because I wouldn't want to take away opportunities from guys who JUST earned spots, but that's no longer an issue. Let's get another winger. We need a poor man's Vrbata for the Ribeiro line. Someone who can get into position and finish off chances if spoon fed golden opportunities. What the hell happened with Latendresse? Let's call him back. Time to bring up Heatley, Gionta and Malone again?

Absolutely. It is so glaringly obvious that we are short a top-six forward. Boeds needs to be with Hanz/Vrby, and we need a shooter on the first line. I'm okay with Doan staying there because he can crash the net and do the dirty stuff. Let Ribs and player X run the offense.

Our bottom was/is not the problem. Brown and Lessio are simply paying the price for the team because they are young. It really sucks.

Last edited:

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Maybe Erat? He's not getting quality minutes in Washington. Anyone know if he lined up at all with Ribeiro last year during their (abbreviated) time together in Washington?

I'd rather go for a more surefire offensive guy, but Erat isn't a terrible alternative either. Certainly not for our group.

Erat only ended up playing 13 games in DC last year but yes, he did play w/Ribeiro. Erat is a perfect Tippett player. Erat for Klesla and a mid round pick is probably fair value but Caps fans will want more considering what they gave up to get Erat.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Caps and Yotes seem like such perfect trade partners. The Caps have too many top 6 forwards (Erat hello) while the Yotes are deep on D. Yotes need a top 6 forward, Caps need a 4D. If Klesla comes back and proves he is healthy, I think there is a really good chance he lands in DC for perhaps Erat or a bigger deal involving picks and Marcus Johansson.

Obviously if Maloney can somehow swing Klesla for MoJo I'd be ecstatic. But I'm willing to settle on Erat as well. We'll see what happens, though - right now we're lacking some veteran presence on the blueline with Morris out.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
It was interesting today to hear Tippet talk about how the team isn't playing their identity and they'd fix it. I think that's true. It wouldn't surprise me if the players got a little too optimistic about our skill with the ownership resolved and the signing of Riberio. We haven't had a consistent fore-check. We had it in surges the last three games, but not 60 minutes of forecheckcing. Sadly, we don't have the skill even with Riberio to play a skill a game. I think this is why Tippet is pushing for vets. Get the veteran D back in the game, get some grinders up from Portland, and play our identity before we try injecting skill into the line-up. Coyotes Hockey, 101.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
Erat only ended up playing 13 games in DC last year but yes, he did play w/Ribeiro. Erat is a perfect Tippett player. Erat for Klesla and a mid round pick is probably fair value but Caps fans will want more considering what they gave up to get Erat.

I'm also a fan of bringing in Erat. I think he's getting shafted right now with the caps. Playing less than 10min a game.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Erat is 4.5 million.
If the Coyotes want to send a message, Boedker to the minors

There is a difference between salary and cap hit. The latter is of no consequence to this team. It's the former you need to look at.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
There is a difference between salary and cap hit. The latter is of no consequence to this team. It's the former you need to look at.

Which is $3.75m this year and a paltry $2.25m next year for a defensively responsible Erat that could slide right in with the Vrbata-Hanzal line.

I'm all for it. Erat could not hurt us and could potentially be a boon. Does he PK too?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm also a fan of bringing in Erat. I think he's getting shafted right now with the caps. Playing less than 10min a game.

This is the first time in memory that you've suggested an actual and specific solution. Good work, you.

And Erat has played on the PK, but I don't think he was the first option there in Washington or Nashville. I'm not sure he's better than our other options there, but it's always nice to have more guys able to do that in a pinch.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It was interesting today to hear Tippet talk about how the team isn't playing their identity and they'd fix it. I think that's true. It wouldn't surprise me if the players got a little too optimistic about our skill with the ownership resolved and the signing of Riberio. We haven't had a consistent fore-check. We had it in surges the last three games, but not 60 minutes of forecheckcing. Sadly, we don't have the skill even with Riberio to play a skill a game. I think this is why Tippet is pushing for vets. Get the veteran D back in the game, get some grinders up from Portland, and play our identity before we try injecting skill into the line-up. Coyotes Hockey, 101.

Exactly. The problem the last 2 games is not about another top 6 forward or skill....

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
This is the first time in memory that you've suggested an actual and specific solution. Good work, you.

And Erat has played on the PK, but I don't think he was the first option there in Washington or Nashville. I'm not sure he's better than our other options there, but it's always nice to have more guys able to do that in a pinch.

What are you talking about? Ive suggested plenty of times that we kick Doan off the first line and PP, that we obtain a true 2nd line player, and that Tippet should play the youngsters more. I'm full of actual and specific solutions.:laugh:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Have you observed what our offense has been able to generate these last 2 games? Do you recall any scoring chances?

We gave up 9 goals (+1 in OT) last 2 games. Adding a top 6 forward so we can score 8 more goals is not the answer or the identity of this team. The turnovers at blue line entry and the neutral zone are killing us. We get scoring chances by dump and chase, then forechecking, and being responsible defensively. That is why Tip will go with vets, they understand the hard work and not skill is what gets it done. If we had been loosing 2-1, 2-0, I would agree with the top 6 analogy. Once this gets fixed, another top 6 would help, but it won't solve our current problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->