Post-Game Talk: Yet another dumpster fire in Detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They are playing like they have no pride. Only a few guys playing like they should. Very very few.
As much as I think he's great, how well is the team really going to do when 33 year old Zajac is the best player most nights?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
People blaming this game on Cory need to read a basic instructional manual on ice hockey.

51GYCG37P5L._AC_UL320_SR258,320_.jpg

He wasn't the only one at fault, but he certainly wasn't good enough to deserve a win. He looked just as mediocre as he did in the back half of last season. But you're sentiment is one I agree with. This, like the previous several games, was a team effort. The whole team ******* sucks. Maybe Sevs and Wood were OK. That's about it. The rest suck for what they are capable of.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Contrary to what our record says, we have played bad in every game except 3. The Edmonton, Washington, and Dallas game. Not good. They found ways to win earlier but I don’t know if they can keep that up

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He wasn't the only one at fault, but he certainly wasn't good enough to deserve a win. He looked just as mediocre as he did in the back half of last season. But you're sentiment is one I agree with. This, like the previous several games, was a team effort. The whole team ******* sucks. Maybe Sevs and Wood were OK. That's about it. The rest suck for what they are capable of.

Sevs and Coleman. Maybe Travis. Wouldn’t go beyond that.

Butcher the goat. Worst game I have ever seen him play.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Think one of the key problems is viewing defense as an opportunity to transition at all times instead of, you know, defending well.

The game really does punish you for trying to cheat a bit and it feels like Hynes system is predicated on trying to have your cake and eat it too (sound defensive play and up tempo transition). It wholly requires someone who thinks like Nico, Zajac or Coleman, but that's asking a lot of a whole roster.

That being said, some unfortunate goals:

The very definition of a juicy rebound goal. 2 on 1 SH goal off a blocked shot. Magnet-guided empty net goal. Really, the goals aren't the issue. Much like the Florida game, the team's structure is off.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
That might be the worst effort in 2 years.

f*** where it ranks on the shit list, it's the fact that it's one bad effort after another that's so infuriating.

We haven't played one complete game since game 4. Even in the win over Florida they stopped playing with 5 minutes left and almost let it get to OT.

I don't know how good this team thinks they are, but they should have woken up by now. Instead they come out coasting AGAIN.

Something needs to be done. This can't continue.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
We know what this team is capable of. It's weird seeing them playing with so little fight. You'd think they just won the Stanley Cup and had a full summer of partying. The Caps can use that excuse for why they look so bad

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I thought the first goal was stoppable but Chico was pretty insistent it wasn’t as simple as it looked (it sounded like he was reading Bleed posts and disagreeing hard).

I thought he was ok considering it was his first start.

Team in front gave up too many shots, too many penalties, and too many mistakes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's been four years since Lou left...this is Shero's team now. Enough reliving the past. They don't get to use the past as a crutch forever any more than when people wanted to use it as a crutch for years after once Kovalchuk and Parise left. This team is good enough to compete now but they're not competing.

Schneider was named 3rd star of the game.

It HAS been a while since Detroit has had good goaltending, the media's forgotten what it is.

Reactions: Cage Helmet

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
OK I'm legitimately perplexed. What the f*** is going on with this team...seriously? Coming off an 8-3 loss, having lost 4 out of the 5 games or something like that, and the whole team plays sloppy. Looks like mentally they are somewhere else, making blind passes in the D-zone, unable to clear pucks, taking dumb penalties, looking confused on PP zone entries, skating right into opposing players, slow decision making, just on and on and on.

When this team goes pedal to the metal and plays fast (both physically and mentally) they are a hard team to play against for sure. That being said, it's been 3+ years now and I still see no evidence of any actual structure in Hynes' "system". It seems to me it's just "play really fast" and that's about as deep as it goes. It's basically high risk high reward hockey, and when it goes bad it goes really bad. Right now I see signs of a team that is spiraling on the mental side of the game with no structure to fall back on and no guidance on how to re-compose themselves. I hope I'm wrong but one season where they made the playoffs by one point is not enough to convince me that this coaching staff is anything but what I've said they are from the beginning...amateurs. I mean, what is the love affair with a guy like Rooney, is there really no better option to fill in for 10 minutes a night on the 4th line??

I think this team is a mixed bag talent wise. A good core of speed and skill, sprinkled in with a lot of mediocre filler (or in the case of MoJo and Zacha, completely underwhelming relative to expectations and potential). That being said, what we have seen the last four games is not related to talent. They look lost mentally out there. I think it's actually the talent that is keeping them from being even worse, not the other way around.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
guys are not executing. It is that annoyingly simple.

No idea why you guys want to make it more complicated then that.

These bad third periods are a trend now and need to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad