Post-Game Talk: Yet another dumpster fire in Detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I'm not even annoyed at the goal we scored with 4 seconds left .. Detroit obviously let up.

I thought Vatanen, Severson, Nico, Zajac and Coleman were fine.

We were fine 5v5. We were terrible on special teams.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Conte and Lou seriously ****ed this team beyond belief with their horrible scouting and drafting.
I agree completely with you, but those two fossils are gone now. We need a 2C and at least one starting caliber tender and I think we’re golden. Maybe one other top-6 FWD. Take a non-existent line 2 for most of this season and mediocre goaltending and that’s what you get in some of these games that become losses. The Tampa game is the only one we never were really in. We could use a good D-man, also. I just think 2C and goalie are our biggest needs.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
goal 3 isn't on schneider, it's on butcher for the fail at the blue line, not covering his guy, and not clearing the rebound.
Some sort of Rebound control from Cory wouldn't have hurt either. An NHL goalie puts that puck in the corner, has the presence to either kick it out or do SOMETHING other than dropping it square right in the top of the crease, tho...

I'm not going to hang this loss on Cory at all - the team was crap, but goal1 was bad, and goal 3 was a subpar play at best.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
LoL Cory was 3rd star of the game....Detroit media trolling.
giphy.gif

Reactions: nugg and Aethon

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
i just fear the possibility that there is something wrong with the general effort level of the team and that if they fall behind early it can wreck the season by the holidays because that’s happened relatively recently.

there is also a possibility the ship can be righted and they have a solid season and get 100 points.

both are equally plausible... for now.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Part of the problem is that there are 3 forwards who should be in the minors: Anderson, Rooney, and Dea

Then there are 3 forwards who should be placed on a milk carton: Johannsen, Boyle, and Zacha

Two defenders, Butcher and Lovejoy, are playing like minor leaguers.

I think the pasting of the Caps made them get a little full of themselves. They have been brutal in the FO circle since then. They're taking way too many penalties. They're not hustling.

It's time for a vet to sit

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The way to fix the team is easy. Trade MarJo for Kucherov. Trade Zacha for Barzal. Trade Lovejoy for Hedman. Trade Corey for a younger better goalie with a low ball contract and I bet that turns the team around. And it’s all realistic since I didn’t suggest trading Lovejoy for McDavid one for one.

Reactions: nugg and OmNomNom

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So 10 games in. Basically .500 about half the games they looked like world beaters. Half they have looked like a bottom 3 team.

Not sure what they are. I think better then what we have seen because so much of what is happening is mental errors. Roster has some holes, but not at a size to cause play like this.

Missing Bratt isn’t causing them to take way too many penalties, or soft clears, or dumb passes.

Reactions: GameSeven

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
he’s not the reason they lost. fundamentals are off right now.

Fundamentals are way off. They aren’t skating. Not making smart choices. Not in sync. Too too too too many penalties.

Every game is a parade into the box.

Edit: playing extra soft too, like softer then usual. Like they are usually Scott 1000 soft, but lately they are two ply Charmin soft.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
he’s not the reason they lost. fundamentals are off right now.
That's fair...but he certainly wasn't our best player tonight and certainly wasn't one of the 3 best players on the ice tonight .

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Some sort of Rebound control from Cory wouldn't have hurt either. An NHL goalie puts that puck in the corner, has the presence to either kick it out or do SOMETHING other than dropping it square right in the top of the crease, tho...

I'm not going to hang this loss on Cory at all - the team was crap, but goal1 was bad, and goal 3 was a subpar play at best.
I thought Schneids looked good in the 3rd before he allowed the shorty. He was unsettled at best through the first two periods of this contest. He loses a tough angle shot in the 1st and gets a gift on a whistle after the puck is put in. First goal was poor and I noticed a few routine rebounds coming out for the rest of the 1st and 2nd period. He really settled in the 3rd but that last goal wasn’t a non-savable goal. Routine and clean wrist shot and comes right at him and he loses it. You’d like to see a save there for sure. I think it’s back to Kinker for Saturday and I think that’s the right choice. There is no starter right now. You wanna start? You gotta earn it to keep the nets right now. I think Kinker has mostly done that but the Nash game wasn’t his best and at the end of the day he might just be a solid backup. I don’t know what Schneids is anymore but I do know he looks shot.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Think one of the key problems is viewing defense as an opportunity to transition at all times instead of, you know, defending well.

The game really does punish you for trying to cheat a bit and it feels like Hynes system is predicated on trying to have your cake and eat it too (sound defensive play and up tempo transition). It wholly requires someone who thinks like Nico, Zajac or Coleman, but that's asking a lot of a whole roster.

That being said, some unfortunate goals:

The very definition of a juicy rebound goal. 2 on 1 SH goal off a blocked shot. Magnet-guided empty net goal. Really, the goals aren't the issue. Much like the Florida game, the team's structure is off.
I don't think they have a whole lot of structure built into their system in the first place.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Whats our record with Rooney in the lineup? I feel like it's a losing one. I'm so sick of him and Boyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad