Yesterday, March 3rd, was the final game ever played at Barclays Center

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021

For any hockey fan in general, how would you view Barclays center as a whole, because as an islanders fan it was only positive for me because I could get there easily. The sight lines were poor, the ice quality was often very poor, and the games felt very empty despite the team always being competitive for those years. If any non-islanders fan went to Barclays, what were your opinions on the facility anyways?

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Didn't they have that one section where you couldn't see anything that happened below the circles? Better seats in the house obviously but that clearly wasn't a hockey arena.

I've never been but seems like everyone can be happy that that intermezzo is over with and the Isles get a real arena (area tax payers perhaps excluded). Nassau had the history, the new arena will be fit for modern NHL standards, and Barclays seemed lacking in both aspects. Plus, iirc they the Isles had some foray into Brooklyn black and white branding once they moved there which seemed pretty cringy from the outside

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
Didn't they have that one section where you couldn't see anything that happened below the circles? Better seats in the house obviously but that clearly wasn't a hockey arena.

I've never been but seems like everyone can be happy that that intermezzo is over with and the Isles get a real arena (area tax payers perhaps excluded). Nassau had the history, the new arena will be fit for modern NHL standards, and Barclays seemed lacking in both aspects. Plus, iirc they the Isles had some foray into Brooklyn black and white branding once they moved there which seemed pretty cringy from the outside
it was also usually filled with other teams fans. it was a mess and I was a half season ticket owner with my dad for two seasons.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
As an outsider who's never set foot in there - sounded like a nightmare.

As mentioned earlier - bad ice, poor sightlines for hockey, and the scoreboard hanging over 1 side of the ice.

The place was never meant/designed to host NHL hockey...I'm glad the NYI are getting a new home in Belmont.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017

You might say that.

48e0eca02b646ae68945fc3f5f62f76469-23-islanders-hockey-barclays-center.rsquare.w700.jpg

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
As an outsider who's never set foot in there - sounded like a nightmare.

As mentioned earlier - bad ice, poor sightlines for hockey, and the scoreboard hanging over 1 side of the ice.

The place was never meant/designed to host NHL hockey...I'm glad the NYI are getting a new home in Belmont.
Heres what belmont looks like as of 2/25, and this looks pretty nice so far. lower bowl is going to be the largest in the NHL, and the ceiling does look low as well. Hopefully this is like nassau, but is the arena the islanders have been waiting for since the 2000's. It feels so relieving seeing it happen in real time

Attachments

• UBS interior 2-25.jpg
    UBS interior 2-25.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 18

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I moved to Brooklyn about 6 years ago, and with how cheap tickets could be at the Barclays I went to several games, at least 2-3 per year. Sat behind the bench one time for $20 bucks.

The Islanders really grew on me as a team. They're now one of my top 5 favorites in league. I'll miss having dirt cheap NHL games 25 minutes away from my apartment.

Reactions: FractionTwo

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It bought us enough time to get our New Area. If I’m being completely honest it happened so much sooner than I expected. Thank god for Ledecky and Malkin. Thought we were going to be stuck at Barclays for a long time. It was only a few years. On top of that, they were able to renovate the coliseum and get us back there full time before going to Belmont.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
It bought us enough time to get our New Area. If I’m being completely honest it happened so much sooner than I expected. Thank god for Ledecky and Malkin. Thought we were going to be stuck at Barclays for a long time. It was only a few years. On top of that, they were able to renovate the coliseum and get us back there full time before going to Belmont.
If they didn't have barclays, then we would've been playing in Quebec as the new aged nordiques, and that would've been a travesty to everyone except the stuck up french canadians lol

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I moved to Brooklyn about 6 years ago, and with how cheap tickets could be at the Barclays I went to several games, at least 2-3 per year. Sat behind the bench one time for $20 bucks.

The Islanders really grew on me as a team. They're now one of my top 5 favorites in league. I'll miss having dirt cheap NHL games 25 minutes away from my apartment.
Not sure why, but your comment had me thinking back to this scene from the Sopranos...

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I saw one game there and it was the worst hockey experience I've had in my life. Nassau was also awful but the atmosphere was at least lively, like one of the barns of years past.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
Barclays Center does not move the needle as a venue or for hockey history. Only went once for a Maiden show.
America West was awful yet it was the only place where the yotes were relevant despite being awful as a hockey venue

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
So I take it the new UBS Arena will be completed sometime this fall for the 'start' of the 2021/2022 NHL season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad