Yelling at another player not on your team 2 pass the puck to you: Bush league or no?

BHDefensiveForward

Feb 1, 2012
I will never pass to a voice, period! You should always be scanning the area anyways, and if you don't look and pass to the wrong guy be prepared to get an ear full when the puck is hammered into your net.

Jackson12

Feb 28, 2008
Ottawa
no problem with it at all. trying to get payback for having it done too you in a rec league game just makes you such a loser.

POTS

Mar 9, 2007
Bush league...do it in a higher level league and expect to get drilled...A rookie did it to Mario (called him by his nickname) who dropped it to him...next shift Mario cleaned his clock, took the puck, scored and told him "dont pull that $#@! up here"...this told first hand by said "rookie"...just sayin"

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
Bush league...do it in a higher level league and expect to get drilled...A rookie did it to Mario (called him by his nickname) who dropped it to him...next shift Mario cleaned his clock, took the puck, scored and told him "dont pull that $#@! up here"...this told first hand by said "rookie"...just sayin"

Seems to me, besides the skill level, this is one reason why you don't see if that much at higher level. It seems to violate a code.
I still will try to look before I pass it, but once in a while, you just don't have the time.
Seems to me as well, that in basketball and soccer, people don't do this, so why do hockey players have to lower themselves to it?

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't care if people do it. It doesn't generally make any difference to me as I look before I even have the puck a lot of times so I know where my pass is going even before it arrives.

I generally don't pass blindly to a voice.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
Seems to me, besides the skill level, this is one reason why you don't see if that much at higher level. It seems to violate a code.
I still will try to look before I pass it, but once in a while, you just don't have the time.
Seems to me as well, that in basketball and soccer, people don't do this, so why do hockey players have to lower themselves to it?

hockey players do it all the time. oh and FYI it happens in basketball to

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I don't care if people do it. It doesn't generally make any difference to me as I look before I even have the puck a lot of times so I know where my pass is going even before it arrives.

I generally don't pass blindly to a voice.

Drop passes are the devil.

Last edited:

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
It is 100% acceptable. Maybe if a team falls for it often enough they will learn to talk on the ice and learn their team mates voices.

One of the major downfalls of lower level players is they don't speak to each other out there.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, totally bush league IMO, but enough guys do it that if you fall for it, it's on you.

Patchey*

I do this all day. If you get so butt hurt that you want to fight me cause I embarrassed you, you're just going to be further embarrassed and chirped by the entire team.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I don't think it is bush league in and of itself, but usually its the same jerk who is "woo"ing for the puck and chirping all over the ice anyhow so it just pisses you off more.

mooseOAK*

The ones who do it to players that aren't very good but they are, bush league.

Phil Connors*

If you're dumb enough...

I've done it to people I know to just mess around, but I would never do it to someone(beginner) who is having enough trouble already.

As mentioned before:

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Like many things in rec hockey, it's a jerk move if you do it someone who's new to the game or significantly worse than you. If you can pull it off against an experienced player or one much better than you, then good for you.

In a game, it's pretty much always fair play. The above only applies to playing shinny with buddies and buddies of buddies.

ean

Nov 27, 2007
I don't think it is bush league in and of itself, but usually its the same jerk who is "woo"ing for the puck and chirping all over the ice .

:laugh:

Yeah it's a pretty embarrassing move to try. Although it's more embarrassing if you get burned by a guy who uses it on you.

Muttley*

Playing D, when I'm battling in front of the net and we are losing like 6-1 near the end of the game, I always yell "front of the net!" when an opposing forward wins a battle in the corner and has their back to me. Sometimes he blindly passes it right to me in front of the crease, despite his teammates yelling, "noooooo!".

But you have to make sure you are in the right position on the guy you are trying to defend because he can actually get that gift pass onto his stick instead of mine, or it can deflect off of me to him or into my own goal. It can be risky.

I use my discretion. But I have to admit, I do like making forwards look stupid when they fall for it. :laugh:

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
I see no problem with it. You still have to be aware of where you're passing the puck... blinding throwing it somewhere because someone called for it is a bad play.

yakitate304

Crunch Time
Oct 23, 2007
NY
John Madden or Holik I think. I'm sure I remember seeing that and the opposing player was in a Devils jersey.

It was Madden.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/23/sports/hockey-madden-s-tricks-fluster-lemieux.html

"John Madden had one more trick left for the Pittsburgh Penguins, and Mario Lemieux served as his chump. Madden, the Devils' creatively annoying center, had been caught in a corner, badly out of position, so he yelled to Lemieux for him to pass him the puck. And Lemieux did. And he put it right on the tape of Madden's stick.

Lemieux, already flustered, caught up to Madden and whacked him with his stick. Then he whacked him again. Then, at center ice, in full view of the officials and the television cameras, and with a capacity crowd about to celebrate the Devils' 4-2 series-clinching victory, Lemieux cross-checked Madden from behind, and Madden collapsed to the ice.

Lemieux spent the last minute of the Eastern Conference finals in the penalty box. Afterward, Madden said he had taken a guess at Lemieux's nickname -- Ace -- when he called for him to pass the puck. Madden conceded that it was kind of a dirty trick. But it worked. It worked like almost everything else the Devils tried against Lemieux and the Penguins in the series."

edit: Oops, already posted.

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
Seems to me the players that know another language besides English and have teammates that know that language, have an advantage, since they can call for passes and the guys that don't know the language have almost no idea what they're saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad