Yelling at another player not on your team 2 pass the puck to you: Bush league or no?

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
I think tapping your stick on the ice calling for a pass from the other team is hilarious. If they are dumb enough to pass to you it is their fault.

I do the same thing, and in the 5 years I've played it's probably worked twice. Most people have probably fallen for it once and learn from it. So if I trick them into falling for it, lesson learned.

I don't think it's "Bush league" at all at any level. If you can't see who you're passing to you shouldn't pass it.

Although I think I agree with the comments that it's dumb to do it during pickup/open hockey. Nobody takes pickup that serious from my experience, and I always look at it as a "practice" so if you're taking pickup seriously enough to pull tactics like that when a "win" isn't on the line, you may have some issues.

Edit: And yes, I fell for it early on when I first started, not afraid to admit it. Although I haven't fallen for it since.

member 30781

My game lives off of calling for the puck from another team's player ;)

I'm a master.

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
I've never done it (I mostly play goal), but I think it's hilarious when it works. I think it's totally on the passer to make sure they know where the puck is going.

My very first hockey game ever, in a women's beginner house league, I fell for it. I had met the woman who tricked me once before, and she remembered my name. I thought it was really funny, and I've never fallen for it again. Oddly enough, we're really good friends now (same sense of humour, I guess....).:laugh:

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
If it's pickup or rec hockey, then laugh it off and make the other guy pay for it, they'll do the same if you tried. And what are friends for, if not for giving **** to every once in a while?

If it's at a higher level, then you ****ed up bad.

Gotta know if your teammate will normally be behind you at wherever you are on the ice, and if you saw them heading that direction beforehand.

650X2

Oct 20, 2011
I agree not bush league. Someone sounds butthurt that the got tricked.

Fighting because you got tricked = bush league

correction..

fighting in rec hockey where everyone has to get up and go to work tomorrow = bush league.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I'm racking my brain trying to remember who it was, but some rookie did it to Mario back in the day and he was CHOKED

I don't think it's a big deal personally

Wayne did it to Gordie in the WHA. On his next shift, Wayne proceeded to feel a "sharp pain" in his thumbs. Howe snuck up on him and slashed him across the hands. He then proceeded to tell the future Great One never to embarrass him on the ice.

650X2

Oct 20, 2011
Wayne did it to Gordie in the WHA. On his next shift, Wayne proceeded to feel a "sharp pain" in his thumbs. Howe snuck up on him and slashed him across the hands. He then proceeded to tell the future Great One never to embarrass him on the ice.

Is there a link to this?

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I'm racking my brain trying to remember who it was, but some rookie did it to Mario back in the day and he was CHOKED

I don't think it's a big deal personally

John Madden or Holik I think. I'm sure I remember seeing that and the opposing player was in a Devils jersey.

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State

:handclap::handclap:
Howe's the last person, you'd want to do something like that to.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
:handclap::handclap:
Howe's the last person, you'd want to do something like that to.

Especially when you're bush league Gretzky. I think all these anecdotes just prove is how common place it is, at all skill levels, and how insignificant it is to most players. I've never heard people complain about it before. Ever. And if you're thinking Howe gave him a tap because it was bush, think again. Howe gave him a tap because "the new kid" embarrassed him.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
i have never done it, nor have i fallen for it....i think its such a lame thing to do and even worse when done in a pick up game...if you want to get the puck then go take it, dont resort to dumb tricks that make you look like a punk...granted im jaded on this because it always seems to be used on a "lesser" skilled player who is finally getting a clean path to the net after spending the whole time getting the puck then someone else going right after him and taking the puck away....i feel the same way about playing with a "lesser" skilled guy (who you can tell has been playing for like a few months) and is trying to keep up with the play and just make good decisions and some delta bravo just skates full speed at him takes the puck and gets a breakaway...really who are they trying to impress

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
Someone ripped on those that thought it was bush league earlier, by saying, you're supposed to assume that if someone does that, they're on the other team and not to blindly pass to a voice....
but didn't the Crosby goal (2010 goal) come when he yelled to Iginla, who passed the puck to "a voice"?

Last edited:

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Someone ripped on those that thought it was bush league earlier, by saying, you're supposed to assume that if someone does that, they're on the other team and not to blindly pass to a voice....
but didn't the Crosby goal (2010 goal) come when he yelled to Iginla, who passed the puck to "a voice"?

Because he knew he was passing to SID's voice? Pretty simple stuff.

dwreckm

Feb 2, 2012
Alaska
If you're playing for fun, then who cares? If you're playing to win, then you should know your teammates voices or at least look before passing.

Baggy Spandex

The Nightman Cometh
Mar 5, 2008
Fake Rangerfanville

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
I think it depends on the overall skill level.

I don't play ice hockey, but I play rec co-ed ball hockey and the skill level varies immensely. It's a "fun-first" league and I always give beginner players an opportunity to actually do something with the ball when they have it rather than chase them out of the league.

I have had some players on my team that wanted to try the sport and they were completely brand new to hockey. When some guy on the other team starts calling for the ball and she ends up passing to him because she's pressured and panicked, she just felt stupid. When the guy went in and scored on the ensuing breakaway, she didn't want to go back out for another shift.

When you're playing in the lowest of the low recreational ball hockey league, I think it's a dick move to do. If you're that interested in winning, play in one of the higher leagues (we have 3 different levels in our local co-ed sports league) where winning places a higher emphasis.

As for higher leagues, I care less. People should make better decisions as their skill level improves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad