Yelling at another player not on your team 2 pass the puck to you: Bush league or no?

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
I think it is, at least in Rec Hockey, where you can't really recognize, since you usually don't know voices that well.....
but, others seem to feel that you never pass to a voice, always look, but most of the time you don't have time to look.
I know the player has to take some responsibility for passing it, but it seems to me, that's a cheap as getting a rebound in hoops by missing your own shot intentionally and then getting the rebound...to get a double double.
Opinions?

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
totally acceptable, if your dumb enough not to look then advantage me, and yes i am refering to rec league hockey

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
if the defense cluster***** right in front of you, a nd you see a play that could develop from your stick, would you really not call for a pass? Sure most people aren't going to throw it blindly toward an unfamiliar voice, but you have to take the shot that he'll have that moment to take a peek and make a play.

it's like yelling HEADS! when a player is about to get crushed, or yelling AMBUSH in the military if you realize your unit is inside a kill-zone. Some of the reactions are going to be poor, but it's better to give the opportunity to make the play or adjust than it is to do nothing at all

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
if the defense cluster***** right in front of you, a nd you see a play that could develop from your stick, would you really not call for a pass? Sure most people aren't going to throw it blindly toward an unfamiliar voice, but you have to take the shot that he'll have that moment to take a peek and make a play

He's talking about a defender calling for a pass to "trick" him into a turnover. And yes, it's totally acceptable. If you can't take a look where you're passing, it's 100% on you. The "don't usually have enough time to look" argument just means you're not good enough. Sorry to be harsh, but there's nothing "bush" league about it... if you pass it to the other team, it's your own fault. Pick your head up. It might be rec league, but everyone still strives to be good. Learn to play with your head up and look where you're moving the puck.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Best way to stop it is by looking before you pass. If it never works, chances are the guys who do it won't want to look like goofballs yelling "PASS! PASS!" when the other team holds the puck. If it does work, it's annoying but totally acceptable. Or would you rather they crunch you against the boards and crosscheck you until you give up the puck?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
yeah its awesome, the old drop it drop it drop it trick while backchecking is always lolz

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
He's talking about a defender calling for a pass to "trick" him into a turnover. And yes, it's totally acceptable. If you can't take a look where you're passing, it's 100% on you. The "don't usually have enough time to look" argument just means you're not good enough. Sorry to be harsh, but there's nothing "bush" league about it... if you pass it to the other team, it's your own fault. Pick your head up. It might be rec league, but everyone still strives to be good. Learn to play with your head up and look where you're moving the puck.

Remember folks, I said this in my opening post....I know the player has to take SOME responsibility for passing it.
Often, even at high levels...people don't have time to look, so it's not a matter of "being good enough".
Doesn't happen as much at high levels, since players usually know each other better and a teammate will usually yell no, before, the opposing player gets the puck by doing that..
in addition to looking before the pass more often at a high level.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
IMO it's 100% fine, even at lower levels. If you have the puck it's your responsibility to know where your teammates are, and what they sound like, even if you're not looking at them. The only time where this is a bit of a no-go is if you're playing drop-in hockey, where nobody really knows most of their teammates (and where nobody is keeping score regardless), but even then you shouldn't be throwing no-look passes unless you really know exactly where your teammate is. Nevermind that it could be the other team calling for the puck, but hard passes have to be pretty pin-point PERIOD, and it's very tough to make any sort of tape to tape pass without looking where you're passing. When you make a blind pass you're putting your team at an extremely high risk of turning it over, even if nobody on the other team is tricking you. You wouldn't take a shot without looking at the net, why would you make a pass without looking at the guy you're passing to? Really the only exception is drop passes, and those are unique situations.

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
I just asked this ? since I used to think it was cheap to do this.....then I did it the other night in a pick up game and it actually worked. I joked with the guy, though, "that was dirty on my part, eh?" and he chuckled and agreed.......
so that got me thinking again, you don't see it done that often and I think it's because there seems to be a etiquette part of it, that silently says, that's not cool to do.

Last edited:

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
It's 100% bush league IMO. Go get it from the guy don't be resorting to cheap bush league tactics. Embarrasses the guy/girl you do it to and makes you look like an ass.

Even Thornton looked like a jerk doing that and he's got a lot more at stake than a beer league game.

If you did it to me (unlikely) I'd make your life miserable the rest of the game.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
here is my $.02

I play in a couple of leagues that are drafted. one is an over 30 "rec" league. there are some of us in this league that played a higher level and its a fun, low key league on sunday nights. where how cold the beer is, happens to be the most important part. If I saw someone that was a better player do that to a weaker player I would have a problem with it. otherwise if the players are the same skill level its ok imo. Get your head up before you make a pass.

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
It's 100% bush league IMO. Go get it from the guy don't be resorting to cheap bush league tactics. Embarrasses the guy/girl you do it to and makes you look like an ass.

Even Thornton looked like a jerk doing that and he's got a lot more at stake than a beer league game.

If you did it to me (unlikely) I'd make your life miserable the rest of the game.

I see where you're coming from, and sure it's bush league antics, but if it was a championship game and it's tied up and you had the opportunity to do it and make a difference on a scoring chance, or to develop one yourself… you'd be remiss if you didn't try.

And shouldn't you be treating every shift like the season's on the line?

damacumich

Oct 25, 2011
I think tapping your stick on the ice calling for a pass from the other team is hilarious. If they are dumb enough to pass to you it is their fault.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
I've never fallen for it personally (came close though) :laugh: but I think it's perfectly acceptable, it's not something I've ever done, but I don't care when other guys do it. The only time I have a problem with it is in coed leagues. Way to go superstar you tricked a girl, who wasn't going to hit the net anyway.

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
I'm leaning still towards thinking that it is bush and I don't have too much of a problem if the gloves are dropped, (or some kind of payback), even in rec, if someone does it......
in the pro, major junior or colleges, well, you're playing more or less for keeps and there seems to be a code there that that's not cool and you'll have to answer like you would a cheap shot...

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
I'm leaning still towards thinking that it is bush and I don't have too much of a problem if the gloves are dropped, (or some kind of payback), even in rec, if someone does it......
in the pro, major junior or colleges, well, you're playing more or less for keeps and there seems to be a code there that that's not cool and you'll have to answer like you would a cheap shot...

its not bush league, its a smart play. i have done it for people on breakaways and people have fallen for it hard. hell i have fallen for a few times to. do you feel silly, sure you do, solution, either keep your head up, or develop a calling system with your team mates..

perfect situation, i play d andi used to say point all the time when i was open, and one of my teammates would never pass. its cause he uses that tactic when he is trying to steal the puck, he said call his name instead. that way he would know it was me.

thinking that is bush league is overthinking the situation. its one of those tactics you have to live with. so get better and know where your teammates are at all times. its 100% the responsibility of the guy passing the puck to know who he is passing to. don't complain, just be smarter

Last edited:

Brozak

i scoreded a goal
May 30, 2009
Kitchener, ON
It's bush league in my opinion, but people do it all the time. I liken it to the tactics that Alex Rodriguez used on the Jays a few seasons ago as he was running for third base he yelled "MINE!" which resulted in a dropped ball and him remaining safe at third.

Different sport, same kind of trick.

So yes, it's bush league. I play in a rec league where it's fun and no one really pulls that kind of stuff off. To each his own I guess. I do think it's lame if it's used in a shinny game where no one really knows anyone else.

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
It's bush league in my opinion, but people do it all the time. I liken it to the tactics that Alex Rodriguez used on the Jays a few seasons ago as he was running for third base he yelled "MINE!" which resulted in a dropped ball and him remaining safe at third.

Different sport, same kind of trick.

So yes, it's bush league. I play in a rec league where it's fun and no one really pulls that kind of stuff off. To each his own I guess. I do think it's lame if it's used in a shinny game where no one really knows anyone else.

I remember that and he got a fastball at his head, like he deserved for doing that.
For those that think it's ok to do it, especially in rec hockey, well, just be accountable if someone or some team, tells you they don't like it, in a physical way.

ArrogantOwl

Nov 27, 2011
What I don't get is how trash talk is mildly tolerated but calling a few simple words isn't? Come on.

garne2t

Jan 31, 2012
Bush league! Especially in rec. leagues. Even more true in pickup. Sportsmanship is your friend.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I remember that and he got a fastball at his head, like he deserved for doing that.
For those that think it's ok to do it, especially in rec hockey, well, just be accountable if someone or some team, tells you they don't like it, in a physical way.

You must play in some really butt hurt leagues. It's an age old thing that players do with each other all the time when there's nothing on the line. The only person who looks bad is the person who falls for it, and if they're so embarrassed that they want to go after the other guy for "payback" (I'm paying you back for tricking me into passing to the wrong team... jerk!!!... that doesn't sound pathetic) than let them. Chances are, much like their ability to look before passing, they don't skate well enough to be much of a physical threat either. I'm really surprised anyone even made a thread about this. I've played some form of hockey for 21 of my 25 years of life, including college hockey and this has been done by multiple players, on multiple teams at every level I have ever played at. You said it in your own first post, OP, in spite of your assertion that you "usually" don't have time to look (which is entirely based on your skill): you never pass to a voice; you always look. Like I said, I've played a lot of hockey, including college and it's one of the first things coaches will impress upon you when you start playing competitive hockey (and even before that). Just don't do it. The ONLY exception is if you have a linemate that you know like the back of your hand who is giving you a verbal cue. To this day if someone is behind me and banging their stick or yelling for a pass I automatically ASSUME they're on the other team, even if it's pick up and I can't tell one voice from another. I would never make that blind pass in a million years unless I was Daniel Sedin and it was Henrik's voice behind me, so to speak.

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
You must play in some really butt hurt leagues. It's an age old thing that players do with each other all the time when there's nothing on the line. The only person who looks bad is the person who falls for it, and if they're so embarrassed that they want to go after the other guy for "payback" (I'm paying you back for tricking me into passing to the wrong team... jerk!!!... that doesn't sound pathetic) than let them. Chances are, much like their ability to look before passing, they don't skate well enough to be much of a physical threat either. I'm really surprised anyone even made a thread about this. I've played some form of hockey for 21 of my 25 years of life, including college hockey and this has been done by multiple players, on multiple teams at every level I have ever played at. You said it in your own first post, OP, in spite of your assertion that you "usually" don't have time to look (which is entirely based on your skill): you never pass to a voice; you always look. Like I said, I've played a lot of hockey, including college and it's one of the first things coaches will impress upon you when you start playing competitive hockey (and even before that). Just don't do it. The ONLY exception is if you have a linemate that you know like the back of your hand who is giving you a verbal cue. To this day if someone is behind me and banging their stick or yelling for a pass I automatically ASSUME they're on the other team, even if it's pick up and I can't tell one voice from another. I would never make that blind pass in a million years unless I was Daniel Sedin and it was Henrik's voice behind me, so to speak.

Wow, you're assuming my skill level, just because I posted something like this....weird. (guess you know the skill levels too of those that agreed with me).....
is it BS and tacky at a higher level....probably not....due to being familiar with each other for one.
However, is it tacky and BS in rec leagues and drop in? Yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad