Yeah Yeah Yeah, Patience. How Long Will That Take? (CBA & Lockout Discussion) XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Yeah. He's the best player in the league. That has some importance, no?

Actually, in the negotiations. Don't think so. They are only in the way. This is a part of Fehr's PR tricks and stunts. And Fehr probably even thinks that it somehow works for them.

It's like politicians. I always hate when they're speaking in front of the cameras, and they must have some weird bunch of useless adjutants behind them. In real life, it only looks stupid.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Everyone likes to compare the NHL to the NBA, huge difference is, the NHL is well known for lockouts. 3 lockouts in the past 17 years is a terrible record. The way talks went in the NBA can't be compared to the talks going on right now because the NHL owners are quite comfortable letting the season go if they get nasty. Can't say the same with NBA owners.

The NBA had 2 in the same period, you're talking about 1 more lockout.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
Yeah. He's the best player in the league. That has some importance, no?

To CBA negotiations? Absolutely not, unless he has some qualifications to participate. Being the best player doesn't make you the smartest, give you any special insight or make you the best suited to participate in critically important business matters. If Crosby doesn't have those, his presence is no more important than mine would be.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Guys, remember this rule when the inevitable "talks have broken down" moment happens: Lockouts have a forward progress rule. Meaning if they get really close, then one side backs way off, it's not legit, if they were really close at one moment they will be again soon. The NBA lockout last year got amazingly close, then things went to hell and the union decertified and everything crapped their pants that the season was screwed, but my logic at the time was "forward progress rule", the fact that they got close before that is what mattered, and like a week later they met and sealed the deal

Dude that happened already, it was the three week stalemate that we just saw. That wouldn't happen again when they are this close.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
The point was having lockouts in the past doesn't mean they can't solve this one.

And I'll agree with that. Along with the hope that this is a long CBA because I would bet on another labor dispute after this one. Oh NHL, you are quite pathetic.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Maybe comments like that should be reserved for AFTER today's talks? I am as excited on anyone, but the absolute last thing any of us should be doing is buying every little bit of optimism that's being thrown around.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Maybe comments like that should be reserved for AFTER today's talks? I am as excited on anyone, but the absolute last thing any of us should be doing is buying every little bit of optimism that's being thrown around.

Excited? You should read the last lockout thread :laugh:

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
My sources say that they've come to an agreement!!! They're ordering dinner from Luigi's.

Negotiations will begin "soon..."

Hanklite*

What press would even be around tonight to report on happenings...

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Actually, in the negotiations. Don't think so. They are only in the way. This is a part of Fehr's PR tricks and stunts. And Fehr probably even thinks that it somehow works for them.

It's like politicians. I always hate when they're speaking in front of the cameras, and they must have some weird bunch of useless adjutants behind them. In real life, it only looks stupid.

Wasn't Crosby at the last meeting back in October ? I wouldn't read too much into it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I think having Crosby at negotiations is important. I always though Crosby looks a lot like Tom Welling who played Clark Kent in Smallville, and much like how Superman is the best super hero Crosby is also the best hockey player. So having him there is kind of like having Superman at a Justice League meeting, and Superman is kind of a big deal here.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sid wasn't even planning on going btw. He was set to hit the Madonna concert tonight at Consol and things changed overnight.

Probably Fehr just wanting the name there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad