Yeah Yeah Yeah, Patience. How Long Will That Take? (CBA & Lockout Discussion) XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Guys, how about this for a thread title? This song sums things up perfectly:

You only get what you give boys, that's how business works, that's how the world works :nod:

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
And most of them probably have exponentially more money in the bank then you will make as a part time retail employee in 100 years.

Now, there's a point that a whole lot of people have been making all along. Of course, you'd never know the players were aware of it from the amount of whining they've been doing over *any* percentage cut to their multimillion dollar salaries.

Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib

Heard from trusted source who says this is 'import meeting, there will be progress' as reason why Crosby at meeting @penguins #NHL #nhlpa

Crosby? Does he have some special qualifications that make him needed at these "important" meetings - accounting degree, law degree, MBA, anything that makes his attendance more significant than any other player?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I meant really play hardball.

50-50
10 years before UFA
5 year ELC
No Arbitration rights

Take it or leave it. It would cost the season for sure but the players would sign that deal eventually.

Take out the 50-50 and that is basically the first proposal in this mess. That would end any possible agreement. It's not time to play hard ball, it's time to negotiate and compromise. The pie these guys are fighting about is getting smaller and smaller

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I meant really play hardball.

50-50
10 years before UFA
5 year ELC
No Arbitration rights

Take it or leave it. It would cost the season for sure but the players would sign that deal eventually.

So you're ok with losing a full season?

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
Now, there's a point that a whole lot of people have been making all along. Of course, you'd never know the players were aware of it from the amount of whining they've been doing over *any* percentage cut to their multimillion dollar salaries.

Crosby? Does he have some special qualifications that make him needed at these "important" meetings - accounting degree, law degree, MBA, anything that makes his attendance more significant than any other player?

He likes to think so. But its just for pr. Dont tell crosby though, he thinks hes integral to this whole thing.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Not sure I understand your puns..

Fehr is Fear.

Fehr was asked how he pronounces his name, fear or fair. I believe he said it doesn't matter too much to him but his mom pronouced it fair and his dad pronounced it fear and since his dad had it longer he goes with fear.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011

He could have been using this time to make Gatorade commercials but chose to be at this meeting instead.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Yeah. He's the best player in the league. That has some importance, no?

Qurpiz

Nudes in profile
Nov 5, 2006

PA is counting on Bettman being lost in his boy-toys eyes and softening up

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
The NHL is also screwed. They lost alot of fans who might not come back.

I mean the last time there was the Crosby Hype and the "New Rules"

what do they have this time?>??

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

If individual player contribution to overall league revenue over the last seven years were to be calculated (visiting tickets sold, jerseys sold, tv ratings rising), I'd have a hard time believing it would be anybody but him who would come out on top. Probably, nobody else still in this hemisphere would even come close (Miller would be closest, but he's not close).

So, as the individual player who makes the owners the most money...I guess it could be argued that he's "special" in these negotiations. Which is not to say he can his presence would have an impact.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
I read somewhere that Crosby's uncle is a lawyer. Maybe he taught him a thing or two.

Could just see it now....

Crosby: "I believe that the laws on these rights state....."

Oh god....

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
the more we hear about this stuff them more it seems the PA is a bunch of selfish crying babies.

I mean have you heard some of the things they are demanding?

The only "demand" I've heard of is that contracts should be honored. I would think even the most parsimonious magnate would agree that's reasonable. Everything else is negotiable.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Guys, remember this rule when the inevitable "talks have broken down" moment happens: Lockouts have a forward progress rule. Meaning if they get really close, then one side backs way off, it's not legit, if they were really close at one moment they will be again soon. The NBA lockout last year got amazingly close, then things went to hell and the union decertified and everything crapped their pants that the season was screwed, but my logic at the time was "forward progress rule", the fact that they got close before that is what mattered, and like a week later they met and sealed the deal

Crows*

I'm imaging now.

Bettman " now the next thing on the agenda is contracting rights"

Fehr " you started the lockout"

Silence.........

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Guys, remember this rule when the inevitable "talks have broken down" moment happens: Lockouts have a forward progress rule. Meaning if they get really close, then one side backs way off, it's not legit, if they were really close at one moment they will be again soon. The NBA lockout last year got amazingly close, then things went to hell and the union decertified and everything crapped their pants that the season was screwed, but my logic at the time was "forward progress rule", the fact that they got close before that is what mattered, and like a week later they met and sealed the deal

Everyone likes to compare the NHL to the NBA, huge difference is, the NHL is well known for lockouts. 3 lockouts in the past 17 years is a terrible record. The way talks went in the NBA can't be compared to the talks going on right now because the NHL owners are quite comfortable letting the season go if they get nasty. Can't say the same with NBA owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad