Post-Game Talk: Yay, we suck as bad as the Avs!

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
Where did this idea that guys like Helm and Abdelkater don't need to be benched because they won't learn anything from it come from?

They have standards they have set and are paid for and are playing much, much lower than their standards. Those standards might not be as high as Mantha's, but that is irrelevant if they aren't meeting their own.

Benching these lazy, underperforming veterans would be the best thing this team could do because it would show that everyone is accountable and start to get rid of the country club culture.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Detroit's perfect 7-0 shootout record accounts for 14 points.

And ROW absolutely is the best metric of a team that wins points that matter. Shootout skills don't mean anything in the playoffs.

huh? it could literally be 0-7 instead of 7-0 and they would still have half of those 14 points

edit: on another note i'm starting to feel like the overtime part should just be removed from ROW and it should just be regulation wins instead,i'd call it a pretty outdated stat nowadays with the new super gimmicky 3 on 3 overtime format

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
huh? it could literally be 0-7 instead of 7-0 and they would still have half of those 14 points

I was suggesting 14 of their points didn't come from any form of actually winning hockey games. If you include loser points, I think that point still holds up.

The actual hockey performance between the Wings and Avs is very close, despite the point difference.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I don't want to come off as if I'm burying the entire group of young players on this team...they just happen to be on this team at a low time in the franchise's recent history.

The youth on this team aren't getting the benefit of learning from a championship team like Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Kronwall. They were able to bridge the Yzerman/Fedorov/Lidstrom generation to their generation (highlight being the back-to-back trips to the finals against Pittsburgh).

What is the current generation known for? Losing in the first round of the playoffs. You still have Hank and Kronner on this team but they're past their prime. The players on this team aren't learning from going on long playoff runs. Getting knocked out in the first isn't that much better than missing the playoffs at all.

We watch other franchises who can't make the playoffs are always picking in the lottery and get stuck in purgatory...ie--Edmonton. It took them to draft McDavid and signing a few free agents to pull them out their rut.

On the other hand, you watch Chicago or Pittsburgh...you have championship players leading the way and they seemingly plug in prospects and AHLers to fill in the gaps of their roster. You do have to wonder who will be the stars of those franchises after Toews/Kane/Keith and Malkin/Crosby retire.

You look at Toronto...would they be a playoff-caliber team if Babs wasn't their coach or did it take drafting a guy like Matthews and getting the shot in the arm from a young player like Marner?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I was suggesting 14 of their points didn't come from any form of actually winning hockey games. If you include loser points, I think that point still holds up.

The actual hockey performance between the Wings and Avs is very close, despite the point difference.
Even before this season, I never liked the "3 point game" concept. I'd much prefer 2 points for a ROW, 1 point for a SO win, and zero points for any type of loss.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Even before this season, I never liked the "3 point game" concept. I'd much prefer 2 points for a ROW, 1 point for a SO win, and zero points for any type of loss.

I have never been a fan of the 3 point game either. I remember when they introduced it the theory was that teams were playing to conservative in overtime to basically take the tie point instead of loosing points all together by opening up offense. The 3 point rule was supposed to guarantee each team got their point and let them go for it for the extra. The shootout was just to put the game out of its misery because people have to work in the morning.

I personally preferred they just left the tie alone. Any solution hey have implemented has been broken just in different ways and the looser point skews the standings. For example the red wings really shouldn't have these extra points. For a horrible team to have that many extra points its obvious the system is flawed.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I think every game should be worth the same amount of points.

ROW = 3 points
SO win is 2, SO loss is 1

Or strict 2 for win 0 for loss in any situation.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
if you're touching the points like that then I really hate the idea of leaving regulation and overtime bunched up and worth the same amount

3 on 3 is pretty gimicky too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad