Prospect Info: Yaroslav Askarov, #11 Overall Pick

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I don't think anyone is talking about rushing him into NHL service. He's already played one season after his draft in Russia. Give him two more seasons there playing with Svechkov(sp?) then bring them both over and plan on them playing in the AHL. From there you just have to gauge his performance and adjust his timeline to get to the NHL.

So 3 years in Russia, at least 1 in the AHL and you now have draft plus four years. Exactly what everyone has been talking about as a starting point for expectations.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
And those 110 games in 3 years are exactly the reason we have no idea if he can be a full time starter.
That was just when he broke into the ahl/nhl. He’s played 107 nhl games since then (31, 40, 36). Two of the seasons were shortened so he was the starter this season and about 50/50 last season

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
It must have really pained you to watch Saros play so well last season.
He played well what 10 games against the worst in the division. I pointed out the wins he had in that streak previously. Now if you want to rely on short segments to boost your confidence in the guy then fine. But look back to the start of last year when he not Rinne could do anything. Many have forgotten that Saros has not proven a full season that he can be a starter. And my whole issue with him was the way he was brought up to just sit for years behind Pekka when he should have been getting work in the AHL. And you know what I bet a dollar to a doughnut that they are going to do the same damn thing to Askrov. I had hopes for Saros when he was coming up just as I have for Askrov. Bu Poile is gonna Poile. Now some are going to say ohhh Ingram well remember I have followed Tampa just as long as I have the press and Ingram is too damaged to make it in the league. So the only backup plan Poile has is Askrov.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Saros had an unbelievable/historic/unsustainable long term stretch of games in the second half of the season. It's as unreasonable to look at that good stretch in a vacuum as it is to look at how he performed earlier in the season in a vacuum. More than likely he is simply an average of both outcomes and we can hope he is slightly better than that average.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Saros had an unbelievable/historic/unsustainable long term stretch of games in the second half of the season. It's as unreasonable to look at that good stretch in a vacuum as it is to look at how he performed earlier in the season in a vacuum. More than likely he is simply an average of both outcomes and we can hope he is slightly better than that average.

I'm not looking at just that stretch. He's been in a tandem the last two seasons and has the fourth highest save percentage among goalies with 40+ starts and the 14th most starts over that stretch so it's not like he has an anomalously small sample size. He does have stretches where he struggles but when you look at the whole he's been one of the best goalies in the league over that stretch. The only question is if he can keep it up for an 82 game season but its not exactly his fault the last two seasons where he began to take over the starter job happened to be shortened.

Reactions: LCPreds

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Do you think slightly better than average goaltending will suffice on this team? We have not had average goaltending since Dan Ellis as a starter. The years of great goaltending with Vokun and Rinne has spoiled us into downplaying the position. Absent Rinne there would have not bee a SCF absent Vokun the first two playoff appearances would not have happened. Saros is at best Chri Mason at his high point a guy that can be sufficient but not a guy that is going to make playoffs year after year and make some noise his body of work does not reflect that. Hell its the same with every player here on HF these boards were just giddy with the Johansen and Duchene acquisitions same with Craig Smith who is an average player that we needed to be superman we can go on and on about 20 goal 40 point guys who are important depth wise but to excell in the league you have to have some 30 g 70 point guys too and PPG guys are a pipedream here have been for years.

What I am saying bottom line is our expectations are too low, not only that many place all there eggs in the development basket that worked for the D for a long time and goaltending too when Mitch Korn was here but honestly Ekholm has been the last who developed into a star on D. Below Josi and Ekholm this D is not very good is there potential in a couple of them sure but from a competitive standpoint the forwards defense and goaltending are now sub par. Not one area will be able to prop up another like in the past. If you can not see this your fooling yourself. This has been coming for a number of years really since Lavi's 2nd year. The PP and PK started hitting and missing then just bottomed out two years ago. This reflects 5x5 as well it has developed into a cancer that caused Arvy to want out and if the rumors are right FF9 is right behind him. Forsberg is the most talented forward this team has had in a long time but he can not do it alone. As this roster sets today this is a 75 to 82 point team with little in the pipeline to fix it. Tolvanen looks to be the real deal but we have seen this before see Colin Wilson, Craig Smith, Austin Watson, Jimmy Vesey on and on and on we need some of these type players to develop beyond the average 40 point guys.

Optimism is a great thing but reality sets in, For me I will not just gush over average players any longer honestly have not in quite sometime thats the reason most disagree with me.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Do you think slightly better than average goaltending will suffice on this team?

I was actually referencing slightly above his average point which should put him at above average based on the sample size. I'm also not one that has a lot of optimism in general, much less about the upcoming season. At this point I'm just hoping for the best (6-8 seed) or a complete tank. I can find a good reason to cheer for either.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I was actually referencing slightly above his average point which should put him at above average based on the sample size. I'm also not one that has a lot of optimism in general, much less about the upcoming season. At this point I'm just hoping for the best (6-8 seed) or a complete tank. I can find a good reason to cheer for either.
Agreed there are really dark times coming for this team. Poile and Hynes are not the ones that need the reins to run this another day much less a year or two.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
This post aged well....[/QUOTE
This post aged well....
You do realize that this team is 4 points fropm being out of the wildcard spot right. It is far too early to get comfortable Especially with Colorado having having 3 games in hand. The team has had a great run of late which is great and Duchene and Johansen have looked like real million dollar players. Could this be Hynes Hmmmmmm maybe. The young guys have been young guys good spurts followed by games where they need to be better. Im pleased with Jeannot and concerned for Tolvanan who I expected to be a 40 point guy. In new Saros has been servicable 15 wins in 24 starts but we are not half way I keep waiting for that slump period he goes thru every year can he avoid that maybe. He better because Rittich is hot garbage, many of the goals hes has allowed have been uber soft its not unlike me watching the back up for Tampa Elliott has been just as bad. As you know I also support XColoradr and both there tenders have been suspect this year if not and short of COVID misses they would be burying the division as it is they have 5 players better than a point per game.

Maybe we will get to see the last 50 games and get a real feel where all the NHL teams are but I doubt it. Yesterday Canada restricted border crossing to having a 72 hour test before entry. I am affrasid were in for another 60 game season. And I dispise that there is enough guff about Tampa not deserving back to back I wanted this season to go off for a threepete to shut a lot of people up. It does not matter that they are leading the league in points without there two best players butr we will see.

As to Hynes I still think he is a pitiful coach and Poile has ran past his shelf life by a lot.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I dunno... but Poile and Hynes are looking awfully good so far. Even if the team ultimately slips a bit and falls short... that is probably still better than the Masses gave credit for, and I think justifies their approach, as well as any optimism we all here had in the team. I had optimism... so far I've seen that realized ++. Even if the team tails off a bit and misses the playoffs, well, I expect we'll be able to say we saw a lot of "Good Things"....
:dunno:

Reactions: PredsV82

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Guys, seriously. We are in a playoff spot... But we could not be in a playoff spot. So obviously, there's nothing to be happy about.
Even if we weren't in a playoff spot, the team is way better than I know I was expecting and is enjoyable to watch. There's still plenty we can be critical about, and Hynes is obviously not the next Scotty Bowman, but it's like some people want us to be worse than we are and it's making them miserable we aren't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad