Speculation: Yakupov's points total

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Yakupov will get total points of 3. 0+3 if he plays with Berglund and Jaskin. Sooner then better Schwartz is back he should get better linemates or they could switch now him on better linemates.

He showed tonight flashes his potential, boy has legs, hands and vision of offensive position. Coaching stuff need to get right linemates who are playing fast pace game like him, Stastny + Steen + Fabbri + Tarasenko + Perron. Not Berglund + Jaskin.

No matter how new he's in this team, but it won't help if he has to play with Blues worst players. Berglund and Jaskin. (this is joke)

Wait for it, wait for it.

Thking more can Yakupov play left side?

Code:
Peron - Lehterä - Tarasenko
Steen - Stastny - Fabbri
Yakupov - Berglund - Rattie
Upshall - Brodziak - Reaves

Yakupov can play LW, but I wouldn't want Berglund being the centre of a line that is going to need to be heavily sheltered. He doesn't have the playmaking ability to make that worthwhile.

Perron - Lehterä - Tarasenko
Fabbri - Stastny - Yakupov
Steen - Berglund - Rattie

Perron moves down to the Berglund/Steen RW when Schwartz comes back. Late in close games, Stastny can replace Berglund or Perron on the third line. I think that is the best balance for what we know play well together.

Him playing with Berglund and Jaškin was never going to work, and we all recognised that immediately. I can understand Hitch just trying to get him into the team and going from there, but it was an odd setup.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Surprised he got only 10 min ice time.

The Blues have to win their games. The dude has had 2 practices, coming to a high structure environment. Its going to take some time for him to be able to play in all situations.

There was at least one shift where the Kane line got out there against Yakupov's line. I was holding my breath, but they managed to keep from giving up a scoring chance.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Oiler fan, ill say 40-50 points. He'll start out slow, but i fully expect him to be a large part of your secondary scoring. As much as itll prob be the most painful part of our decade of darkness itll be nice following yak this year.

Jun 9, 2011
Really hope Yakupov lives up to his potential. Tonight was a great start. Sad to see him leave the Oilers, but glad to see him look so happy.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Really hope Yakupov lives up to his potential. Tonight was a great start. Sad to see him leave the Oilers, but glad to see him look so happy.

Thanks to you and all the Oilers' fans who have popped in with the kind words. We are excited to have him.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
[Tweet]786796517793214464[/MEDIA] jesus...did this kid need a new home. Hopefully the Blues drag his but out to the social life...kicking and screaming like they did Vladi.

McLellan admitted himself he was damaged goods before he even got a hold of him, so given that sort of sentiment I would say no.
You know that comment and situation kinda irked me. He gave up on him and why not...he had a shiney new McDavid to play with. From what Hitchcock and Armstrong have said, they still see a hockey player in Yakupov. If tonight was any indication of what he could become, were lucky to have Hitch.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Just posted about it in the GDT.

However many points he may score is great, but on a purely human level, the Blues could be heroes by saving this kid's mind. He desperately needed a change. I'm extremely happy for him that he can start fresh here. I'm gonna be rooting hard for this guy. And you have to admire his honesty with a media person he never met before now. That takes some balls to admit some of that publicly.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Just posted about it in the GDT.

However many points he may score is great, but on a purely human level, the Blues could be heroes by saving this kid's mind. He desperately needed a change. I'm extremely happy for him that he can start fresh here. I'm gonna be rooting hard for this guy. And you have to admire his honesty with a media person he never met before now. That takes some balls to admit some of that publicly.
I was so excited for him when he scored tonight. It really makes me wonder if hes just one of those guys or if the Edmonton crew really did ostracize to an extent. Either way, sounds like the Blues welcomed him with open arms. Also having one of the best coaches in hockey put faith in you has to mean something.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
McLellan admitted himself he was damaged goods before he even got a hold of him, so given that sort of sentiment I would say no.
I'm not sure what McLellan's assessment of his game has to do with it. Did they not use the same system with Yakupov out there that they used with everyone else because he was "damaged goods?"

Or are you implying that coaches viewed him as a lost cause so they didn't give him the remedial attention that he needed to improve his fundamentals? The latter is a more persuasive point, but it has nothing to do with McLellan's or Hitchcock's (or Eakins') systems.

As a relatively disgruntled Sharks fan, I think McLellan's system is overrated.
Perhaps, but it's still a vast improvement over what Eakins tried to do with his swarm.

If Yakupov improves here, I suspect it will have a lot more to do with better instruction and/or playing with better players on a better team than it will have to do with the system the Blues use.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I'm not sure what McLellan's assessment of his game has to do with it. Did they not use the same system with Yakupov out there that they used with everyone else because he was "damaged goods?"

Or are you implying that coaches viewed him as a lost cause so they didn't give him the remedial attention that he needed to improve his fundamentals? The latter is a more persuasive point, but it has nothing to do with McLellan's or Hitchcock's (or Eakins') systems.

Perhaps, but it's still a vast improvement over what Eakins tried to do with his swarm.

If Yakupov improves here, I suspect it will have a lot more to do with better instruction and/or playing with better players on a better team than it will have to do with the system the Blues use.

1. I'm becoming a Blues fan solely because I can't help but watch Yakupov. I've never wanted to see a player turn it around so badly. The quotes today just add to that...I loathe our pathetic organization for all the players its ruined.

2. Re: McLellan. Sure the system was the same, but the opportunities weren't. Yak has always done well with a centre who can pass and carry the puck. Worked with Gagner, worked with Roy, worked really well with McDavid. Yak was PPG with McDavid, then gets hurt. When he gets back, what does McLellan do? Saddle him with stone-hands clueless in the offensive zone Mark Letestu. Not Draisaitl or McDavid, but our worst centre offensively. I'd say that's a huge difference than what Yak's gotten so far in St Louis. I hope the predictions I see of him getting some time with Schwartz or even Statsny come true, because I think he'll run with it.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
I am really happy to see a happy Yak. Take care of him, he will be sorely missed by some of us oilers fans.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I really get the impression that Yakupov's faith is a barrier to a large degree with him integrating socially as easily as he otherwise might. If you add the Russian culture differences as well, it can be very isolating.

Edmonton coaches had a lot more limited options for lines to put him on. And they had multiple players to work on developmentally. Who were the veteran offensive players to put him with? I assign most of the blame to the front office for the pathetic construction of that roster.

Hitchcock has the luxury of at least a handful of different viable lines where Yakupov can count on veteran linemates to show him the ropes.

I don't have any illusions about any sudden turnaround, but I think he has a much more favorable situation here, and it's nice to see the support and positive momentum. The media giving him the first star was classy.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Leafs fan coming in peace.
Seeing the support yak is getting from his teammates and coaching strikes a cord.
St Louis Blues are a classy organization, with lots of stand up individuals.. one that deserves an person like yakupov. I think he will thrive.
I'll be cheering for the blues come playoffs :handclap:

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Reading the quotes reminds us that our players are really still very young and can still have the pressures of mixing in socially and missing their families...Yak said as much when he got off the plane in St. Louis.

Regarding the social aspects, he doesn't seem like a party guy so hopefully there is a clique on the team with whom he can integrate, make friends, and have fun.

Hopefully, Vladi can help him adapt and cope with it.

I'd honestly prefer Yak to be happy before even worrying about his hockey.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Just traded Crosby for Yakupov in my fantasy league, as Yak's PPG pace is a sure thing. Can't lose!

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
[Tweet]786796517793214464[/MEDIA] jesus...did this kid need a new home. Hopefully the Blues drag his but out to the social life...kicking and screaming like they did Vladi.

You know that comment and situation kinda irked me. He gave up on him and why not...he had a shiney new McDavid to play with. From what Hitchcock and Armstrong have said, they still see a hockey player in Yakupov. If tonight was any indication of what he could become, were lucky to have Hitch.

The problem was Yakupov was so set in his ways after he got screwed over Eakins. There was a lot of talk about after the Eakins debacle, Yak closed himself off to the coaching staff a little trying to look out for his own interests.

I really hope he turns into a player for you guys, like all Oilers fans have said the he's a great guy and I wish him the best. Having Taresenko around will do wonders for him I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad