Eklund Rumor: Yakupov on the move?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He produces like a 3rd liner but doesn't play a 3rd line game. If he doesn't start producing, he'll be out of the league. He hasn't shown enough to return good value. Maybe he gets traded for another disappointment in a change of scenery deal. But is there any point to that for Edmonton?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Worst "bold" prediction ever. Has it not been confirmed he asked for a trade at the deadline? If so then it is more surprising that he as not been moved than it is if he ever does get moved.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I do believe we will try to move Yakupov.

The problem with saying it's a sure thing is that this mostly depends on the other teams, moreso than Edmonton. We are ready to move on from Yak for sure, but the return has to make sense. It has to be something that helps us or we're not going to do it.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
He produces like a 3rd liner but doesn't play a 3rd line game. If he doesn't start producing, he'll be out of the league. He hasn't shown enough to return good value. Maybe he gets traded for another disappointment in a change of scenery deal. But is there any point to that for Edmonton?

at this point I think Edmonton would be best trading him for a vetern winger (acquiring team looking for youth) or picks to use as currency down the road

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Yakupov may go to DAL is what he said aswell..

Benn - Seguin - Yakupov
Nichushkin - Spezza - Sharp
Janmark - Eakin - Eaves/Ritchie
Roussel - Faksa - Hemsky

Hamhuis - Klingberg
Oduya - Johns
Lindell - Nemeth/Benn

PP 1: Sharp - Seguin - Benn
Klingberg - Spezza

PP 2: Janmark - Eakin - Nichushkin
Lindell - Yakupov
Crap Dallas has a nice team,,,

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Rumours out of Edmonton over the summer are that Yak was told to expect to report to Edmonton for training camp.

I doubt Yak is going anywhere in the short term. Ek predicting otherwise just makes me more certain he will be staying in Edmonton for a while.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
At one point, Eklund also said that the Rangers weren't one of the contending teams for Vesey. :laugh: This of course being like 24 hours before Vesey signed.

Not only is Eklund piggybacking off of every other reputable person, this confirms Yakupov isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Yet we're not supposed to speak in any negative manner about him. The guy is no different from throwing darts at a board while blindfolded.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Crap Dallas has a nice team,,,

But that defense....?

There must be teams looking at themselves on paper that realize they need scoring. Canucks, for sure, need more scoring. Somebody would certainly pay for Yak if he was on the market. The inaugural World Cup is opening camps in about two weeks, a deal should have been done earlier than now.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

The problem with saying it's a sure thing is that this mostly depends on the other teams, moreso than Edmonton. We are ready to move on from Yak for sure, but the return has to make sense. It has to be something that helps us or we're not going to do it.
Where has playing the hold hand gotten you, though? I think the Hall trade indicates that Edmonton is willing to take some risks now. That's a better plan than you have had in the recent past.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
His name has been involved in trade rumours for a while. If he isn't moved yet, it is either because EDM is asking too much, or there aren't teams willing to take a risk on him.

Unless the rumours are true that his value is late 2nd/early 3rd territory, I am not sure what EDM is doing if they are explicitly keeping him. What is going to change after 3 seasons of 20-30 points a year? If his value is low enough, I guess the risk makes sense. Risk a 3rd round pick that Yak might FINALLY put it together and either be worth keeping or become a more marketable trade piece.

He would be a good expansion draft pickup for Vegas. Getting a relatively recent 1st overall pick who plays an exciting style would be good for marketing, just gotta make sure not to tell the casual fans that he's a bust....I haven't looked at EDMs unprotected list, but if they have someone else decent they cannot protect, there is some value in using Yakupov to shield them from being taken.

With the cap as tight as it is, his 2.5M contract and 2.5M qualifying offer is probably a big reason why a lot of teams wouldn't take a gamble on him.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Where has playing the hold hand gotten you, though? I think the Hall trade indicates that Edmonton is willing to take some risks now. That's a better plan than you have had in the recent past.

Well where does shipping him off at bargain basement prices get us? In what world is a late 2nd worth more than giving him another chance and hoping he becomes some semblance of the player we thought we were drafting?

People continually mention he may just need a change of scenery. I've said it before, trading Hall is the change of scenery Yak needed. He'll get opportunity on the ice, and he'll be more comfortable in the locker room with the absence of Hall. I predict a big turn around.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I read the thread title...I read the tag...I hesitantly click the thread and then the link...I read the non-descript article then ask myself outloud "Why do I do these things?"

:laugh:

Nooooooo. Nope. No no no no :laugh: Nooooo

I would gamble a 3rd MAYBE...4th, yes. 2nd AND a 3rd or ANY roster player? Absolutely not. No way.

He was drafted 1st overall, he obviously has skill somewhere in there, and I'm willing to bet Crosby or Malkin can bring it out of him. A change of scenery would be great for him. He's more likely to be productive for us than a 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounder would be. Why not? We are contending now

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Ottawa would have liked to trade former 9th overall pick Jared Cowen for something that would have helped them, but it wasn't going to happen given he was a bust with a 3M cap hit. If Yakupov is never going to be anything more than a 20-30 point one way player with at least a 2.5M cap hit, getting a third round pick might help you more than not qualifying Yak and losing him for nothing or holding on to Yak for another x amount of years hoping that doing the same thing won't result in the exact same production for him.

People have that misconception with prospects that "we shouldn't trade him now, he was an ____ pick, we are selling low, that's stupid". But if EDM trades Yak now for a 2nd or 3rd, they might be selling high considering his career trajectory and the fact that if they want to keep him he has to be qualified at 2.5M.

A draft pick helps EDM more than spinning their tires with Yak. Draft picks are currency for trades, they don't necessarily have to be used to draft a player, so it isn't strictly like "well a third round pick has x percentage of panning out compared to Yakupov".

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Well where does shipping him off at bargain basement prices get us?

You don't know if what you're selling him now is a bargain basement price. That's the big misconception. EDM could very well be selling very high by getting a 2nd for him right now. What will his value be after another 20-30 point season with a 2.5M qualifying offer?

Just because he was worth more last year and previously the year before doesn't mean that EDM isn't selling high on him compared to what they can get in the future by taking a 2nd or even a 3rd right now

He's more likely to be productive for us than a 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounder would be. Why not? We are contending now

Especially in a cap league where teams have to sell off talent to get under the cap, a 2nd or 3rd round pick isn't strictly an x percent chance at getting an NHL player through the draft. Draft picks are a common currency. Not every team will want a Yakupov, but at some point every team in the league will take a draft pick in a trade for something else. MTL just traded two 2nds for Shaw, Ottawa traded a 2nd+ for Phaneuf, etc. Having an extra 2nd round pick puts EDM in a better position to add a known quantity from a team selling someone off. Basic asset management. If Yakupov isn't going to pan out, which isn't a farfetched bet at this point, getting a 2nd for him puts EDM in a better position to add something that can actually help them via trade when the time comes.

Like I said in my past post, if the price for Yak is dramatically low, like a 3rd round pick. Maybe it is worth taking the risk that he isn't worth a 3rd round pick at the end of the season if it means holding on to him for one more season and trying to either turn him around or showcase him to pump up his value. At the same point, getting a 3rd for him might actually be SELLING HIGH if he has another 20 point season given he has a 2.5M qualifying offer.

Last edited:

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
They are going to give Yak another chance this year. The RW depth in Edm isn't that great. He is currently in Edm training right now and all summer wore his Oiler's gear.

This is my own personal belief but now that Hall is gone Yak wants to stay. There were rumours of a rift between those two.

Mods should lock this up.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Rumours out of Edmonton over the summer are that Yak was told to expect to report to Edmonton for training camp.

I doubt Yak is going anywhere in the short term. Ek predicting otherwise just makes me more certain he will be staying in Edmonton for a while.

This. Combine that with the fact that Yak has been wearing Oilers gear while training all summer and that he is already back in Edmonton training, and I think it's safe to assume that Yak is perfectly OK with returning.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Ek has a scoop...meanwhile...

13c4fz.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3