News Article: Yakupov on Roy "I was scared of him"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I wonder at what point this board will stop talking about Derek Roy.

He was a small, below-average defensively centerman that scored less than half a point per game on a bottom 3 team in the league.
When will we just let him go?

Because it was the only time a highly touted prospect/worst player on the team had chemistry with another hockey player in the NHL, including his more productive rookie season?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Yup not going to argue that at all :) I said it was make or break time last year im wiling to give him one more chance, im just pretty positive the result is going to be the same.

I have been wrong before..... just not very often lol

That's what we were arguing about if I recall. I said it was ridiculous to say it was make or break while we still had the same idiot coach. So we're in agreement now and I'm looking forward to seeing Yak prove you wrong :)

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
That's what we were arguing about if I recall. I said it was ridiculous to say it was make or break while we still had the same idiot coach. So we're in agreement now and I'm looking forward to seeing Yak prove you wrong :)

Im pretty sick of arguing about it to be honest, if it happens great, but odds right now of that happening are slim to none and I have wrapped my head around the possibility of it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Truth of the matter is, Yak is not a top6 player yet on this team, until he is, he will get 3rd line minutes and his point totals will be in the 30's.

Until Yak takes it upon himself, and plays some real hockey, that is his potential. You can blame who ever you want, but a little bit has to be on the player himself.

Again we've gone over this a number of times, and Ill post up the boxcars again not just in response to your post but in commentary to the thread.

This is Yak under Eakins;

98GP 15G 17A 32PTs

This is Yak under Nelson;

45GP 10G 15A 25Pts (note Yak only had 4G 4A in 37Eakins GP last season)

This is Yak under Krueger;

48GP 17G 14A 31Pts.

This is Yak combined with real coaches;

93GP 27G 29A 56Pts.

Note the bolded contrasts above. Which are night and day.

Give Yak a reasonable coach, a topsix assignment, legit topsix linemates and he's basically a 50 pt player now.

Last edited:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Again we've gone over this a number of times, and Ill post up the boxcars again not just in response to your post but in commentary to the thread.

This is Yak under Eakins;

98GP 15G 17A 32PTs

This is Yak under Nelson;

45GP 10G 15A 25Pts (note Yak only had 4G 4A in 37Eakins GP last season)

This is Yak under Krueger;

48GP 17G 14A 31Pts.

This is Yak combined with real coaches;

93GP 27G 29A 56Pts.

Note the bolded contrasts above. Which are night and day.

Yup pretty brutal, a little tiny bit better with a different coach but still not very good for a 1st overall pick.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yup pretty brutal, a little tiny bit better with a different coach but still not very good for a 1st overall pick.

Now look at the possibility of how he'll actually do under a real coach in McLellan and potentially playing with RNH/McDavid along with having proper PP time.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

"A lil tiny bit better?" ;) The difference is huge. Statistically significant. Yak is basically a different player anytime he's had a coach other than Eakins.

Goal scoring with other coaches is almost twice as much.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
"A lil tiny bit better?" ;) The difference is huge. Statistically significant. Yak is basically a different player anytime he's had a coach other than Eakins.

Some how next year it will all be the coaches fault again.... I get it. Like I said im sick of arguing it.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Now look at the possibility of how he'll actually do under a real coach in McLellan and potentially playing with RNH/McDavid along with having proper PP time.

What if McLellan has the same take on Yak as Eakins did? Then what? Dam coaches fault again!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Some how next year it will all be the coaches fault again.... I get it. Like I said im sick of arguing it.

If Yak is utilized even remotely appropriately there won't be fault.

Team has enough skill players this year to slot out a topsix and with the McDavid pick one of the other kid stars ends up on 2nd line. As long as theres some continuity that would be a + for Yak. Even better if it ends up being McDavid. haha

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
What if McLellan has the same take on Yak as Eakins did? Then what? Dam coaches fault again!

I wouldn't put McLellan in the same boat with fitness guru. Guys like Pavelski and Couture blossomed under McLellan.

Besides, at least we won't have to hear about SWAAAAARM defence this year.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
If Yak is utilized even remotely appropriately there won't be fault.

Team has enough skill players this year to slot out a topsix and with the McDavid pick one of the other kid stars ends up on 2nd line. As long as theres some continuity that would be a + for Yak. Even better if it ends up being McDavid. haha

What if Yak just isnt a very good hockey player and isnt utilized properly because of it? then what?

I think thats what everyone here is missing. Hes not that good of a hockey player right now.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be saying that Eakins knew what he was doing...

If so, uh... The last two seasons disagree with you, along with the stats of the entire team with and without him last year.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be saying that Eakins knew what he was doing...

If so, uh... The last two seasons disagree with you, along with the stats of the entire team with and without him last year.

Oh not I hated Eakins, ask replacement lol

All I'm saying what if MC treats yak like Eakins.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Oh not I hated Eakins, ask replacement lol

All I'm saying what if MC treats yak like Eakins.

That would be bizarre and contrary to all the evidence we have. No other coach has treated Yak the way he has from Jr's, the KHL and the NHL. It's highly unlikely that a proven coach like McLellan would mimic the antics of the worst coach in Oilers history.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

A tiny little bit better??

The numbers Replacement posted are equivalent to .602 and .327 PPG.

That's like going from Wayne Simmonds to Derek Dorsett.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yak's confidence was destroyed very early on in 13/14 by Eakins, aka god's gift to hockey (in the opinion of Dallas Eakins). The kid was not developing at all under Eakins who was too busy figuring out gimmicks to get more corsi's and looking for scapegoats (excluding the golden Canadian boys that management wanted taking over the team) to help excuse why his terrible coaching was ruining the team. It was a situation that pretty much no legitimate NHL franchise would have allowed to continue beyond 2 months into the 13/14 season, but MacT put his feet up and let Eakins ride this team down into the gutter, into the sewers and into the waste disposal from the water treatment center.

Really hope his time with Roy and Nelson can be built on. The kid was in a huge hole, same with a lot of the rest of the team and he was showing signs of climbing out of it. He's not a #1 overall that is going to just take the bull by the horns and figure out everything himself as a young player, that is obvious by now. But he still has the skill set to be a very dangerous player if he's handled and developed properly.

Last edited:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
McLellan will play Yak with McDavid and either Pouliot or Hall, give him pp time on the right half wall and we can all stop worrying about him. IF he continues to be awful and fails then I will concede that hes a lost cause and should be moved.

30g 25a -7

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
What if Yak just isnt a very good hockey player and isnt utilized properly because of it? then what?

I think thats what everyone here is missing. Hes not that good of a hockey player right now.

I tend to agree with you.
Let`s be honest guys. Yak has sucked for the majority of three seasons. Regardless of coaching, linemates, all the excuses. Pardoning a few hot spells, he has been dreadful. How much longer do we coddle and comfort this former first overall draft pick? Give me Patrick Stefan over him. At least Stefan had a general sense of what he should do. But Yakupov, as soon as you give him just a little bit of leash, he does mind-boggling things that there is simply no excuse for. How much longer are we responsible for babysitting this failure while his contemporaries pass him in every area?

Edit: I beg pardon for attacking Yak, I realize some of his supporters may be upset that a <50 poster comes in to question his abilities, but, after watching him for a couple of years, I have to admit I am having doubts about him at all.

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Let`s be honest guys. Yak has sucked for the majority of three seasons. Regardless of coaching, linemates, all the excuses. Pardoning a few hot spells, he has been dreadful. How much longer do we coddle and comfort this former first overall draft pick? Give me Patrick Stefan over him. At least Stefan had a general sense of what he should do. But Yakupov, as soon as you give him just a little bit of leash, he does mind-boggling things that there is simply no excuse for. How much longer are we responsible for babysitting this failure while his contemporaries pass him in every area?

Edit: I beg pardon for attacking Yak, I realize some of his supporters may be upset that a <50 poster comes in to question his abilities, but, after watching him for a couple of years, I have to admit I am having doubts about him at all.

I'm not going to bother rehashing what was said again other than refusing to look at context is a poor argument. Said context was just discussed above.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Good grief. :facepalm:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
You mean Renny and Kreuger? All three players had their best seasons under other coaches, with the exception of Hall who managed to resist Eakins all of one season before crashing hard with the rest of his teammates.

Everyone took a step back when the Eakins failtrain took over. For guys coming off rookie seasons like Yakupov and Shultz, a step back meant they looked like they no longer belonged in the league anymore.

Don't get me wrong. I dont hate on Yak. Just extremely disappointed. Eakins was a big mistake no doubt but even then, Yak needs to improve big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad