Yakupov hits 100 points in the OHL in his rookie season.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
For a lot of Russians (players and all), Yakupov is the closest thing from Pavel Bure since Pavel Bure... With a physical game !

Don't know if I want my Panthers to end our record-streak of not making the playoffs... Nail Yakupov looks like a one-of-a-kind prospect !

I don't think he has the speed or puck control at top speed that Bure had, and Bure wasn't exactly soft. He was just as feisty as Yakupov (dirtier too). But Yakupov is one special player, really fun to watch. I can't wait to see what he does next year.

mindmasher

Dec 5, 2010
Edmonton
hockeyzen.com
EASILY better player than Hall or Tavares.

Better than Stamkos offensively but Stamkos 2 way game was more complete/mature. Offensively speaking he is more dynamic and quicker.

Ridiculous statement. I don't believe anyone with any level of ability to judge players would make such foolish black and white statements.

Nabokov20

Karlsson for Chuck
Sep 21, 2009
Ottawa
Bust

100 points big deal I've had multiple 100 point seasons in the OHL already.. this year even.. pfft who cares....

I create my guy make him 7 feet tall and 300 pounds and just own noobs.

:sarcasm:

lol sorry.. lack of sleep and I've only recently heard of this kid. Should be interesting to see what he does next year though. Yeah he's a rookie and 17.. so? Seguin in his ohl rookie season amassed 21 goals and 67 points as a 16/17 year old. Anyone think he'll get way over the 100 point mark next season? Something like 130 points? thatd be nuts.

Gretzky as a 16/17 rookie scored 70 goals and had 182 points in 64 games. In 64 games played Yakupov had 48 goals and 98 points.. so he is like 54% of what Gretzky was at that age... so damn that is pretty good lol.

Stats tell the whole story!! (or at least when you've never seen a player play)

Get 'er done Burke

GO LEAFS GO

The game is completely different nowadays; and therefore, it's kinda hard to compare stats from Wayne's days to now. I mean, just look at the goalies they were facing... No wonder he put up those stats. Either way, the kid looks like the next big thing. Go Sens Go!

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Ridiculous statement. I don't believe anyone with any level of ability to judge players would make such foolish black and white statements.

I think he was comparing them at the same age.....nothing wrong with his statement if that's the case. It doesn't mean he'll reach Hall, Tavares or Stamkos levels, just that the potential is there.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
**** I love this kid. A smaller Ovechkin or a more phyical Kovy.

88Nords19

Apr 7, 2003
Alma
Visit site
uhhhh how... Please defend yourself when you bluntly ridicule a poster for their thoughts.

Well, since I know you love stats, you could start by considering Tavares' 72 goals and 134 points in his equivalent age season.

Yakupov has sick offensive skills and competes well. I don't have a problem with putting his name in the same discussion with the best offensive players to go through junior hockey in recent history, but to say he's EASILY BETTER than two guys who ripped up juniors and ended up going 1st overall, is a stretch. I would suggest it's the original poster (or yourself) who would need to defend how he is EASILY BETTER.

Kevin Malone

Jul 3, 2009
In Hall's third year he broke 100 points, Yakupov did so as a rookie.

Yakupov has looked like a better prospect in Sarnia then what Stamkos looked like when he was here so far to me.

He can do anything pretty much except play defensively. He hits hard, has unreal dangles, a pro shot and his best asset is probably his speed. He flat out flies out there.

Wow, Taylor Hall scored 45 goals as a 15/16 year old! Yakupov is 17.5 yrs old.

Hall also played on a Windsor team that rolled 4 lines and he was a top PK'er. Had Hall had the ice time he recieved in the Mem Cup he would've had 130-140pts.

Hall also took a team that finished 2nd last in the OHL to tied for 3rd. An increase of 51 pts, the largest turn around in CHL history.

Sarnia still did not make the playoffs...

EASILY better player than Hall or Tavares.

Better than Stamkos offensively but Stamkos 2 way game was more complete/mature. Offensively speaking he is more dynamic and quicker.

:laugh: What a joke of a statement. Like someone else said I'll believe it when he wins back to back Mem Cup MVP's. Great hockey players aren't just measured by pts, its being able to throw your team on your back and play your best hockey when it matters most.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Hall was also on the most stacked OHL team since the legendary London teams. Sarnia is an incredibly weak team and has a pitiful defense. Yakupov put up 100 points on a very weak team, thats more impressive than any of Halls seasons.

I don't think hes better than Tavares, but I think hes on par with Hall. Memorial Cups are even more a team statistic in the CHL than Stanley Cups in the NHL. That being said Hall is the only reason that Windsor wasn't swept by Kitchener last year in the playoffs.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
uhhhh how... Please defend yourself when you bluntly ridicule a poster for their thoughts.

The post deserved to be ridiculed.

Not even getting into what made him a better prospect (his hockey IQ), Tavares scored 72 goals for 134 points as a 16 year old.

Yakupov is a great prospect, but that post was premature to say the least.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Hall was also on the most stacked OHL team since the legendary London teams. Sarnia is an incredibly weak team and has a pitiful defense. Yakupov put up 100 points on a very weak team, thats more impressive than any of Halls seasons.

Well then I'm going to provide the argument that Yakupov probably gets way more ice time and PP time because hes on weaker team, therefore racks of the points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad