Yakupov hits 100 points in the OHL in his rookie season.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
Pretty impressive, for those that have watched him, how does he compare to Tavares, Stamkos, and Hall (as junior players)?

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Too bad he still needs 2 goals to hit 50. Racking up the assits lately though.

Good for him. Should go 1st overall next year. Dynamic player.

He has 2 assists tonight against a weak Sault St. Marie team. If Sarnia keeps up the offense, I think he has a chance to get 50.

The two points were both 5 minutes into the game. Galchenyuk has a goal and a assist on the same plays as Yakupov.

Still plenty of time in the game left, with just 10 minutes remaining in the first.

Last edited:

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
how does he compare to galchenyuk? I know he is a later 93 and galchenyuk is a 94, also isnt yakupov a few inches shorter? Being on the same team has anyone seen them both play enough to make some comparisons and contrasts? I have never seen either play but heard great things

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Kid is seriously unreal. Definitely worth mentioning in the same sentence as Stamkos, Kane, Tavares, etc.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Sure when he leads his team to back to back Memorial Cup titles (and MVP honors).

In Hall's third year he broke 100 points, Yakupov did so as a rookie.

Yakupov has looked like a better prospect in Sarnia then what Stamkos looked like when he was here so far to me.

He can do anything pretty much except play defensively. He hits hard, has unreal dangles, a pro shot and his best asset is probably his speed. He flat out flies out there.

Skyver

Oct 12, 2009
Budapest
Excuse me, I need to get some some coal for the hype train.
If he pulls it off, it's going to be unreal. We'll see how he fares next season before making any judgments.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
In Hall's third year he broke 100 points, Yakupov did so as a rookie.

Yakupov has looked like a better prospect in Sarnia then what Stamkos looked like when he was here so far to me.

He can do anything pretty much except play defensively. He hits hard, has unreal dangles, a pro shot and his best asset is probably his speed. He flat out flies out there.

Who cares if Yakupov is a "rookie" when he is 17. Hall was 15 when he was a rookie. Saying it took Hall 3 years to break 100 is not even relevant. It's all about age.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
Who cares if Yakupov is a "rookie" when he is 17. Hall was 15 when he was a rookie. Saying it took Hall 3 years to break 100 is not even relevant. It's all about age.

16 actually, for the most part anyway but yes I agree.

Yakupov will be something special.

pouskin74*

wrong -16 and its not all about age. Yakupov came from Russia where he played different kind of hockey compared to NA style of hockey but he handled this perfectly. BTW nothing taking away from Hall.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
VERY impressive. This kid is gonna be a star judging from all accounts and highlight packages. Explosive and tenacious.

4thliner*

Pretty impressive, for those that have watched him, how does he compare to Tavares, Stamkos, and Hall (as junior players)?

EASILY better player than Hall or Tavares.

Better than Stamkos offensively but Stamkos 2 way game was more complete/mature. Offensively speaking he is more dynamic and quicker.

4thliner*

Which of these players would people say he is most comparable to?

Ovechkin
Gaborik
Bure
Stamkos
Tavares
Duchene
Hall

Ovechkin....minus the physicality and size. Nail is about as equaly as great a playmaker also as he is a scorer.

TMLOBI

Jul 22, 2010
Toronto
Bust

100 points big deal I've had multiple 100 point seasons in the OHL already.. this year even.. pfft who cares....

I create my guy make him 7 feet tall and 300 pounds and just own noobs.

:sarcasm:

lol sorry.. lack of sleep and I've only recently heard of this kid. Should be interesting to see what he does next year though. Yeah he's a rookie and 17.. so? Seguin in his ohl rookie season amassed 21 goals and 67 points as a 16/17 year old. Anyone think he'll get way over the 100 point mark next season? Something like 130 points? thatd be nuts.

Gretzky as a 16/17 rookie scored 70 goals and had 182 points in 64 games. In 64 games played Yakupov had 48 goals and 98 points.. so he is like 54% of what Gretzky was at that age... so damn that is pretty good lol.

Stats tell the whole story!! (or at least when you've never seen a player play)

Get 'er done Burke

GO LEAFS GO

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
For a lot of Russians (players and all), Yakupov is the closest thing from Pavel Bure since Pavel Bure... With a physical game !

Don't know if I want my Panthers to end our record-streak of not making the playoffs... Nail Yakupov looks like a one-of-a-kind prospect !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad