Player Discussion Yak Talk Part IV: It's nearly time... For camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Wrong. The difference is how you use them. Both players produces.

Lucic-McDavid-Yak
Pou-RNH-Ebs

One player (Yak) might produce if everything is perfect for him. Small sample sizes (when everything has been just right for Yak) are not definitive so Yak has to show that he can produce long term. He has failed at that so far primarily because he still hasnt figured out how to play a smart game.
Eberle on the other hand actually creates offence and is a consistent one shot scorer regardless of who he has played with.

Honestly man for you and others to think that Yak and Eberle are comparable players speaks to the desperation of your position.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
One player (Yak) might produce if everything is perfect for him. Small sample sizes (when everything has been just right for Yak) are not definitive so Yak has to show that he can produce long term. He has failed at that so far primarily because he still hasnt figured out how to play a smart game.
Eberle on the other hand actually creates offence and is a consistent one shot scorer regardless of who he has played with.

Honestly man for you and others to think that Yak and Eberle are comparable players speaks to the desperation of your position.

Yak plays with skilled player and produces. Small sample.

Ebs plays on the 3rd line with scrubs and doesn't produce. Small sample.

You can spin it either way

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If I was to bet money I would bet that Yak drops down the roster due to the inclusion of Puljujarvi and Versteeg. I think that Puljujarvi's skillset will easily transfer to the NHL and that he will pass Yak on the depth chart in the next 3 weeks. I also think that Versteeg is likely to do the same thing simply because of his versatility and experience.

Yak is a one trick pony and his trick is inconsistent at best. Thats his downfall as a player. Things have to be just right for Yak to even give him a chance to do his trick effectively. I also question his ability to fight through adversity. The past has shown that Yak sulks and quits instead of putting on his big boy pants and fighting through adversity. Running to his agent to 'fix' things (ice time, line mates et al) and practicing by himself away from the rest of the team are red flags for me. History matters and history suggests very strongly that there is very little reason to think Yak going to suddenly change this season. It could happen but the smart money suggests otherwise.

Regarding Yaks trade value....just because Yak has little to no trade value by himself does not justify trading Eberle just because he has value.
That is a rather superficial and short sighted reason to trade the teams only effective one shot scorer.

What trick is that?

He's fast, he has a hard shot and excellent release, he's bullish on the puck, he can be physical and he extremely elusive when he's got the puck.

His 'trick' is his ability to lose confidence and the trust of his coaches so far in the league outside of Krueger and Nelson. Like a lot of guys in this league, he needs to be in a scoring role to really be an effective contributor.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
What trick is that?

He's fast, he has a hard shot and excellent release, he's bullish on the puck, he can be physical and he extremely elusive when he's got the puck.

His 'trick' is his ability to lose confidence and the trust of his coaches so far in the league outside of Krueger and Nelson. Like a lot of guys in this league, he needs to be in a scoring role to really be an effective contributor.

But does he score? History says no.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Are you honestly suggesting our win-loss record directly hinges on Yakupov's performance? You talk as though if he's given another chance and fails, the season is shot, so better just ship him off.

The people championing Versteeg and slotting him into a roster spot already are going to be very disappointed in a few weeks. There's a reason the guy could only get a PTO.

I believe a large portion of our win losses has come from a few key positions being grossly overwhelmed. Schultz being a huge one for example.

I believe Yak was so bad 2 years ago he cost us games somewhat regularly. Last year he was bad but as a winger not exactly a complete liability and obviously improving.

To be part of a team that can make the playoffs he HAS to be a lot better. Either much better offensively it offsets his defensive deficiencies or much better overall.

Versteeg, when healthy, is much better than Yak overall. I am not sure why he needed a PTO and was headed overseas but if he is healthy Yak will be in tough to be higher on the depth chart.

I think Puli can "potentially" pass Yak right out of camp because his overall game is still so rough.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What trick is that?

Yak is quick not fast (his top speed isnt really that impressive) and he usually utilizes his quickness to get no where in particular. The suggestion that he skates around like he is being chased by bees is completely accurate. That underscores his lack of smarts which hurts his offensive effectiveness.

His trick is offence and unless everything around him is perfect (linemates, ice time, coaches. teammates) he is brutally inconsistent primarily because of his lack of smarts mentioned above.

He also doesnt take to constructive criticism very well. Often times rejecting any and all suggestions that other parts of his game need improving. Sulks and practices by himself during a team practice. Cries to his agent when things are tough.
Major red flags abound with this player.

Ultimately Yak is a very high maintenance low production player who hasnt proven his worth at all so far. Could things change in his 5th NHL season?
Maybe...but I certainly wouldn't bet money on it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yak plays with skilled player and produces. Small sample.

Ebs plays on the 3rd line with scrubs and doesn't produce. Small sample.

You can spin it either way

Oh please. :help:

You have been posting a lot of nonsense and presenting it as fact. Please do show your work and illustrate exactly how Eberle has been an inconsistent scorer. While your at it do the same with my points about Yak. Illustrate how they are inaccurate.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My prediction: Yak's deficiencies are about to be highlighted in a big way. His main competition in camp will be a big, strong, fast and smart 18 year old player who also has an abundance of offensive skill.

If I was a resolute Yak supporter I would be very nervous.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
My prediction: Yak's deficiencies are about to be highlighted in a big way. His main competition in camp will be a big, strong, fast and smart 18 year old player who also has an abundance of offensive skill.

If I was a resolute Yak supporter I would be very nervous.

Even if he doesnt beat out the 18 year old he has to beat out Versteeg.

We wait and see but I wouldnt bet my house on Yak on being in the opening night lineup.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Yak is a one trick pony and his trick is inconsistent at best.
What's the trick? I haven't seen anything from this player that comes close to resembling a trick.
All I've seen is a guy who can't carry the puck, seldom creates anything on his own, and doesn't know where to position himself on the ice in order to be useful to his team mates.
Wait, is the trick pouting? Cause he's definitely good at that.

“When you don’t have support, and when you’re not feeling any trust from the coach… it’s pretty tough to play the game on the bench,†he said. :pout:

What message does it send to the rest of the team when the guy who pouts more than a little kid, and twice publicly asks to be traded, gets a first line slot and gravy PP minutes with McDavid?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yak is quick not fast (his top speed isnt really that impressive) and he usually utilizes his quickness to get no where in particular. The suggestion that he skates around like he is being chased by bees is completely accurate. That underscores his lack of smarts which hurts his offensive effectiveness.

His trick is offence and unless everything around him is perfect (linemates, ice time, coaches. teammates) he is brutally inconsistent primarily because of his lack of smarts mentioned above.

He also doesnt take to constructive criticism very well. Often times rejecting any and all suggestions that other parts of his game need improving. Sulks and practices by himself during a team practice. Cries to his agent when things are tough.
Major red flags abound with this player.

Ultimately Yak is a very high maintenance low production player who hasnt proven his worth at all so far. Could things change in his 5th NHL season?
Maybe...but I certainly wouldn't bet money on it.

He hasn't responded as you'd expect a good professional to, but he's a frustrated hockey player. If you asked him off the record, I'm sure he'd tell you he hasn't performed to his expectations of himself. But I don't blame him for wanting a fresh start. I also don't blame Peter Chiarelli for not granting him one.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What's the trick? I haven't seen anything from this player that comes close to resembling a trick.
All I've seen is a guy who can't carry the puck, seldom creates anything on his own, and doesn't know where to position himself on the ice in order to be useful to his team mates.
Wait, is the trick pouting? Cause he's definitely good at that.

“When you don’t have support, and when you’re not feeling any trust from the coach… it’s pretty tough to play the game on the bench,†he said. :pout:

What message does it send to the rest of the team when the guy who pouts more than a little kid, and twice publicly asks to be traded, gets a first line slot and gravy PP minutes with McDavid?

The trick as I have outlined it is offense'. Yak has had moments where he has produced but as I stated its inconsistent at best and it requires everything in his universe to be aligned perfectly.

So I dont disagree with your points but I thought I was pretty clear on my point about his limited toolbox.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He hasn't responded as you'd expect a good professional to, but he's a frustrated hockey player. If you asked him off the record, I'm sure he'd tell you he hasn't performed to his expectations of himself. But I don't blame him for wanting a fresh start. I also don't blame Peter Chiarelli for not granting him one.

I do blame him because no one else is responsible for how Yak responds to adversity.
I blame him for not being a professional and not taking ownership of his situation and all the things he has done to himself.

If Yak was a true professional and man'ed up then I would have a completely different take on the player.
Every single adverse situation has propelled Yak to act like an immature kid that isnt getting his own way. When I couple that with the fact that he hasnt shown much at all in terms of being a smart player then I have no choice but to question the player as a whole.
Yak doest add to this team...he hinders the team

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Even if he doesnt beat out the 18 year old he has to beat out Versteeg.

We wait and see but I wouldnt bet my house on Yak on being in the opening night lineup.

Oh for sure. I just think it makes more of a statement when you are 22 years old and entering your 5th season in the NHL and you lose your job to a rookie with no NHL experience at all.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They also didn't ride shotgun with McDavid for as long as Yak did. Seriously 8 freaking goals.

Eberle has been on worse teams with worse players and produced just fine.

I'm not comparing him with Eberle. But Eberle hasn't been handled like Yakupov has.

He's also rewarded the team with consistent production for not screwing with his development.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Well, he's obviously played well with McDavid. Can we all agree on that, at least? If so, why not just try him with McDavid? I don't see the problem. Allows us to balance our 3 lines more. Pouliot-RNH-Ebs and Maroon-Drai-Pulju/Versteeg look really good.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I do blame him because no one else is responsible for how Yak responds to adversity.
I blame him for not being a professional and not taking ownership of his situation and all the things he has done to himself.

If Yak was a true professional and man'ed up then I would have a completely different take on the player.
Every single adverse situation has propelled Yak to act like an immature kid that isnt getting his own way. When I couple that with the fact that he hasnt shown much at all in terms of being a smart player then I have no choice but to question the player as a whole.
Bang on. I used to support this player. However, after his repeated whining, refusal to take responsibility, and multiple trade requests, I now can't stand him and believe he is likely to be an ongoing detriment/distraction to the team both on the ice and in the locker room.

I mean if Hall can be labelled a 'cancer' all over this board based on innuendo and rumor, then wtf is Yakupov?

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
Bang on. I used to support this player. However, after his repeated whining, refusal to take responsibility, and multiple trade requests, I now can't stand him and believe he is likely to be an ongoing detriment/distraction to the team both on the ice and in the locker room.

I mean if Hall can be labelled a 'cancer' all over this board based on innuendo and rumor, then wtf is Yakupov?

Can you source all these claims?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

You've seen a few instances and assume the player is always like this. If that were true you can be certain the coaching staff would be done with him. If that were true, his back-check would not have improved. If that were true, his possession numbers would not have improved. Outside of those few documented instances, he has acted as a true professional.

If your last bit were true, he wouldn't be in the lineup. But I can assure you, if Nail isn't traded prior to game one, he will be on the starting roster.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Yak has screwed himself. If he was a true professional then he would have just went about his business and busted his ass to show that he is worthy of being an NHL player on this team. He would have been motivated to prove to his teammates that he has what it takes to help this team regardless of what gets thrown at him. He would have been motivated to show that he is a team player by being a leader on whatever line he gets minutes with.
He has done the opposite. Its all been about him....he has worn out his welcome and damaged his value on the market. He has screwed the team and himself. I just dont think this is fixable any more...too much has happened and there is too much water under the bridge.

Its funny because I like the players personality but the only way to truly evaluate this player is to include the big picture items which is riddled with red flags.
When you include Yaks entire body of work and how he reacts to adversity and interacts with coaches and team mates then there is no other conclusion to reach with this player.
Nice personality or not this player is a major problem.

I cant imagine a player on this team that would look forward to playing with a high maintenance player like Yak.
If I am a player on this team the thing I am looking forward to is the day when 4+ years of Yaks self serving attitude comes to an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad