Player Discussion Yak Talk Part IV: It's nearly time... For camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Why hasn't he been traded already? Get your 2nd/3rd round pick and move on.

They don't want to play him in the top 6, and then they don't want to trade him because his value is too little. This situation has become such a joke.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
its not mutually exclusive and the players are distractions for different reasons. Put Yak in a feature role and he stops being a distraction. Create reliance on Lucic and pay the consequence for him selfishly engaging in the worst decisions at the worst time. I tried to like Lucic in LA, really did, but its quite clear that overall his contribution to that lineup had a negative instead of positive effect. Most notably that a team that prided itself on playing smart hockey had a noted idiot in the lineup.

If Yak has to be put in a top 6 role where he hasn't been good enough just so he won't be a distraction.... Well, if that's the case it's time to ship him out East somewhere. Sacrificing team potential just so he'll stay out of the spotlight is not how a team should be run.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
If Yak has to be put in a top 6 role where he hasn't been good enough just so he won't be a distraction.... Well, if that's the case it's time to ship him out East somewhere. Sacrificing team potential just so he'll stay out of the spotlight is not how a team should be run.

He didnt get a lot of time in the top 6 last year even after we traded away Purcell. We've added Puljarvi so unless Eberle is traded away I dont think it's likely he gets much in the top 6. Mclellan doesnt seem to trust him in that role, doesnt see the upside.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't think there's room cap wise for both Lucic and Poulliot considering they'd essentially both have been brought in to do the same job. Not sure if Chiarelli can dump that contract.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I don't think there's room cap wise for both Lucic and Poulliot considering they'd essentially both have been brought in to do the same job. Not sure if Chiarelli can dump that contract.

I'm sure Chia can dump Pouliot if he wants. He's an analytics darling, he'll end up in Toronto or Arizona.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If I were Nail Yakupov I would train harder than I ever have before, come into camp, keep my head down and try to exceed the expectations of Todd McLellan. Let's not beat around the bush--Hall and Yakupov didn't get along. They are two very different players who essentially fill a similar role on the team.

If he were smart--first, he'd fire that ******* Larionov--and then he wouldn't say a word about the trade request from last season. He wanted a chance to be a scorer? This is it.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Is it just me...but If Yakupov is an oiler next season...I think he might break out. Just a feeling.

God would that be a massive boon, I really doubt it happens, like less than 10% chance but you never know. Personally I was hoping he would get traded somewhere so he could have a fresh start but I guess we'll see.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Is it just me...but If Yakupov is an oiler next season...I think he might break out. Just a feeling.

Unlikely

Mclellan pretty clearly loathe the idea of putting Yakupov in the top six. Left on the 3rd line with no access to the playmaking centers(Drai/Mcdavid) will result in more of the same.

He's simply not a guy who can create offense on his own.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
God would that be a massive boon, I really doubt it happens, like less than 10% chance but you never know. Personally I was hoping he would get traded somewhere so he could have a fresh start but I guess we'll see.

I feel this way too but I'm clinging to hope that it happens. Never know I guess. Maybe all that bs about hall bullying him will prove to have been true (no I don't actually think that)

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
There's still a lot of conjecture with Yak, isn't there. I really don't know what to think, but a couple of things come to mind. None of these are my particular feelings about the player neither, just putting it out there.

- No other GM wants to touch him.
- Chia believes he has more value than what other GM's are offering.
- Rumours about Hall bullying him in some way are true.
- Chia and McLellan have talked with him and told him what type of player they need, and he's on board with that.
- His apparent lack of confidence is and was part and package with the Hall bullying rumour.
- Chia couldn't swing a package deal with Yaks included

I'm sure there are a few more as well. Hopefully this will all be fleshed out sooner or later....both for Yaks best interests and the teams.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
There's still a lot of conjecture with Yak, isn't there. I really don't know what to think, but a couple of things come to mind. None of these are my particular feelings about the player neither, just putting it out there.

- No other GM wants to touch him.
- Chia believes he has more value than what other GM's are offering.
- Rumours about Hall bullying him in some way are true.
- Chia and McLellan have talked with him and told him what type of player they need, and he's on board with that.
- His apparent lack of confidence is and was part and package with the Hall bullying rumour.
- Chia couldn't swing a package deal with Yaks included

I'm sure there are a few more as well. Hopefully this will all be fleshed out sooner or later....both for Yaks best interests and the teams.

They might be rumours but people barely seen Yakupov out partying with the regular crew. I remember one day after a game seeing Yakupov with a friend at Denny's while the rest of the young guys were on Whyte. I just found that odd, made him look like an outsider. Now the team has a lot more Euro players (Draisaitl, Poolparty, Klefbom/Larsson) with similar personalities, maybe he will fit in more.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
I feel this way too but I'm clinging to hope that it happens. Never know I guess. Maybe all that bs about hall bullying him will prove to have been true (no I don't actually think that)

I don't know, where there is smoke there is fire., if Yak is bounces back big time with this culture change, It would be huge huge. I for one am still hopeful. I actually think the whole team is already rejuvenated with the way this team has started to take shape

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
They might be rumours but people barely seen Yakupov out partying with the regular crew. I remember one day after a game seeing Yakupov with a friend at Denny's while the rest of the young guys were on Whyte. I just found that odd, made him look like an outsider. Now the team has a lot more Euro players (Draisaitl, Poolparty, Klefbom/Larsson) with similar personalities, maybe he will fit in more.

His Religion may be a factor there as well for that part. But we'll stay away from that subject because belief systems are a whole different ball game.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If anything the move to this team playing a more physical brand of hockey helps yak as much as our remaining topsix core. Yak has more of a bent for getting some hits in then people realize and it gets him into games more.

Something tells me it could be different this year. Who knows, maybe Yak benefits from some of the player additions.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I don't know, where there is smoke there is fire., if Yak is bounces back big time with this culture change, It would be huge huge. I for one am still hopeful. I actually think the whole team is already rejuvenated with the way this team has started to take shape

Also puts the word out that nobody is irreplaceable. Big time wake up call for every member of the team, McDavid included.....sorta....a little teensy weensy iddy bitty bit.

OK fine, everyone but McDavid. :)

McSomnii

why u no change oil
Nov 3, 2012
Little Houston, AB
Much as I've always wanted to see Yakupov succeed, I've pretty much considered him gone as of the end of last season; trading away Taylor Hall hasn't changed my opinion any.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Just complete speculation and I don't want to start any rumors, but I wonder if trading Hall makes Yak more comfortable around the dressing room. I remember times Hall's body language led me to believe he wasnt a fan of him. I remember as a teenager when I first joined a club soccer team I was one of the worst players, and we had an absolute beast on the team, probably averaged 2-3 goals a game. I remember every time I made a mistake he rolled his eyes or say something under his breath. I felt so uncomfortable that for the last part of the season I faked a foot injury so I wouldn't have to play and let down th team. He later left the team a season or 2 later and I felt a bit more free to make mistakes, and literally the year after he left I became the leading scorer and voted as captain the year after that.
Just saying it makes a huge psychological difference when you have teammates that support you.

Last edited:

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Keep Yak, see what he can do this year with the new makeup of the team.

If he's still the same, cool let Vegas take him, if he finally turns the corner re-sign him.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Just complete speculation and I don't want to start any rumors, but I wonder if trading Hall makes Yak more comfortable around the dressing room. I remember times Hall's body language led me to believe he wasnt a fan of him. I remember as a teenager when I first joined a club soccer team I was one of the worst players, and we had an absolute beast on the team, probably averaged 2-3 goals a game. I remember every time I made a mistake he rolled his eyes or say something under his breath. I felt so uncomfortable that for the last part of the season I faked a foot injury so I wouldn't have to play and let down th team. He later left the team a season or 2 later and I felt a bit more free to make mistakes, and literally the year after he left I became the leading scorer and voted as captain the year after that.
Just saying it makes a huge psychological difference when you have teammates that support you.

short answer no
Long answer yes

With Hall gone there is new leadership in the room.

One thing about Lucic in Boston was he was a very inclusive person who went out of his way to make sure everyone was part of the team and McDavid, although he will be only 19 he also has (reportedly) a different approach to teammates then Hall did.

Only time will tell

This fall will be a fresh start for the entire organization.

Due to so many screw up--the Hall was a reset of the rebuild that started with the Leon D and McDavid picks

Gambl0r83*

I'm really hoping for a Yakupov/Fayne trade for Dumba

LUCIC-MCDAVID-EBERLE
MAROON-NUGE-DRAISAITL
POULIOT-LANDER-KASSIAN
CAGIULLA-LETESTU-PAKARINEN
(Hendricks)

KLEFBOM-LARSSON
SEKERA-DUMBA
NURSE-DAVIDSON
(Reinhart, Oesterle)

TALBOT
GUSTAVSSON
(Brossoit)

Looks like a 2017 7th place wild card finish to me
Pending no injuries, knock on wood

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I think Yak is part of the team because they can't get anything for him.
Yup. Totally embarrassing offseason for Yakupov.
Asks to be traded again. Fails to make national squad and trades shots with Russian Federation management.
Nobody in the NHL shows even a flicker of interest in adding the player.
He doesn't want to be in Edmonton. Just move him along already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad