Player Discussion Yak Talk Part IV: It's nearly time... For camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
he's 100% gone, with Puljüjarvi in the fold now especially, and I just don't see them dealing Ebs... even if they just get a measly pick back, even IF he was a first overall, none of that matters anymore, it's over, and quite frankly the Oilers are in a position where they don't have to worry about it. Would really be nice if they could get something, anything of value back for him though.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
IMO, his value is highest if he is used as an extra in a package involving larger pieces.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
IMO, his value is highest if he is used as an extra in a package involving larger pieces.

I agree with this. His value isn't high enough to return a high impact player, but you should be able to get someone who could help fix the 3rd line.

Let's say RNH gets dealt, bringing back Shattenkirk and Berglund
Would you package Yak and Letestu to bring back Smith from Ottawa?

Berglund-Smith-Kassian is a fine third line. Berglund and Smith can anchor the PK along with Korpi and Hendricks.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
You are right, we cannot get much for him so might as well keep him. On the other hand his ice time will be very limited with the addition of Puljujarvi. How can he get out of a rut without playing much? I wish he would turn his game around but I just don't see it happening with the Oilers and the roster we have now. Give the kid a second chance and trade him, hopefully he finds his mojo someplace else.

exactly. keeping Yak means either he doesn't play much, or you play a near useless player. both are cases are useless.

who cares what they do with him, really? trade him for a 3rd rounder means next to nothing, keeping him is meaningless.

such a waste.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Just keep him. No good reason to deal him.

This. Not a fan anymore, but there's no sense flushing the asset for nothing return. Even if you bring Pool Party in to play top 6 (which would be a mistake IMO) is Yak really any worse an option in the bottom 6 than Korpse or Pakarinen or Kassian? Sit him down before training camp, lay out the expectations and pledge to keep working to find him a new opportunity elsewhere.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
People are weird.

The kids gone before next season starts. Doesn't matter what we get for him. If for some reason he reports to camp after requesting a trade he will be a locker room distraction if he already wasn't.

He needs Tobe gone next year for all involved. No matter the return.

He is a first overall bust, I think he will still have a decent career, just not with the Oil and its not something we should worry about. Four first overalls is embarrassing, one of them busting is just numbers.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
time to move on, Yak wants it, the Oilers want it, rip off the band-aid and get it over with.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yakupov NEVER requested a trade???!

Chia Interview Today:
Reporter: "Yakupov said he wanted a trade, did you try to trade him at the draft?"
Chia: *Looks Confused* "He never told me he wanted a trade"
Reporter: "His agent did though..."
Chia: "No, no. So I'm not going to comment on that"

The original source of this trade rumour was this interview:
http://www.sport-express.ru/hockey/nhl/reviews/982308/

Of which the Edmonton Journal translated admittedly with an online translator. Any russian speakers that can translate this with context?? Possible Yak was referring to a time 2 years ago when he and his agent were publicly unhappy, perhaps that has since been rescinded. And "Yak Talk Parts I-IV" were a waste of time lol.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Chia Interview Today:
Reporter: "Yakupov said he wanted a trade, did you try to trade him at the draft?"

Of which the Edmonton Journal translated admittedly with an online translator. Any russian speakers that can translate this with context?? Possible Yak was referring to a time 2 years ago when he and his agent were publicly unhappy, perhaps that has since been rescinded. And "Yak Talk Parts I-IV" were a waste of time lol.

It's also possible the original report, in Russian, was false. Or that this is Chia doing a little propaganda work once it was clear the return for yak wasn't worth while.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Whatever the reason for Chia's denial of trade rumours. I hope it means Yaks staying. :handclap:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Chia's just being a bawse right now.

Every word he says is intentioned.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

Chia Interview Today:

I speak Russian. and there's not much interpreting of context needed.

– А сами вы просили обмена? Did you yourself request a trade?

– Да, просил. Но не лично – мое дело выходить и играть в хоккей, – а через агента, который и занимается обсуждением и решением таких вопросов. Но раз разговоры об обмене шли, значит, на то были основания.

Yes, I requested. But not personally. It is my job to play hockey. It was my agent who discusses and handles such matters. But at a point there were discussions on a trade and there were grounds for it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I speak Russian. and there's not much interpreting of context needed.

– А сами вы просили обмена? Did you yourself request a trade?

– Да, просил. Но не лично – мое дело выходить и играть в хоккей, – а через агента, который и занимается обсуждением и решением таких вопросов. Но раз разговоры об обмене шли, значит, на то были основания.

Yes, I requested. But not personally. It is my job to play hockey. It was my agent who discusses and handles such matters. But at a point there were discussions on a trade and there were grounds for it.

Key question is WHEN did the agent request a trade? There was a public spat between Oilers management and Yak's Dad/Agent which has since been squashed. I think about 2 years ago?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Key question is WHEN did the agent request a trade? There was a public spat between Oilers management and Yak's Dad/Agent which has since been squashed. I think about 2 years ago?

That's the part that's open to interpretation. It isn't specific on timeline...if a trade request was made this season, multiple seasons or every season since he entered the league...

but Nail makes it clear that a trade was very close to happening and that he had his bags packed ready to bolt.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So what is the point of trading Yak for pretty much nothing? It is obvious to both Oilers and Yak that there isnt much demand for him and no one is going to give him the rope he expects. If Oilers are icing 3 scoring lines next season then hanging onto him isnt a bad move.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So what is the point of trading Yak for pretty much nothing? It is obvious to both Oilers and Yak that there isnt much demand for him and no one is going to give him the rope he expects. If Oilers are icing 3 scoring lines next season then hanging onto him isnt a bad move.

Only if he scores.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I wanted to see more of his celebrations. That is probably what I'm going to miss most if he is traded and hated to see that light fading, just wanted to see a kid celebrate loving playing hockey. I'll wish him the best and I hope he can spark the talent he obviously has in new place. I'm one of the few that still wants him on the oilers.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Some people are very slow learners. Maybe one day things will just 'click".

I hope he stays and scores 35 goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad