GDT: XXXVI | "Boxing Day Bonus" | Battle of Alberta | 12.27.22 | Saddledome | 7:00 PM | SNW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
extralarge.png
extralarge.png

(18-15-2) --vs-- (16-12-7)

Game Day: Tuesday December 27th
Game Time: 7:00PM
Broadcast: Sportsnet West

-----

extralarge.png

Zach Hyman - Connor McDavid - Jesse Puljujarvi
Warren Foegele - Leon Draisaitl - Kailer Yamamoto
Mattias Janmark - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Klim Kostin
Dylan Holloway - Ryan McLeod - Derek Ryan

Darnell Nurse - Cody Ceci
Brett Kulak - Tyson Barrie
Markus Niemelainen - Evan Bouchard

Stuart Skinner

-----

extralarge.png

Dube - Lindholm - Toffoli
Huberdeau - Kadri - Lucic
Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman
Lewis - Ruzicka - Ritchie

Hanifin - Andersson
Weegar - Tanev
Zadorov - Stone

Markstrom

-----

SOLI'S SHORTSIDE
  • Lineups confirmed.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Skinner starting, JP on Mcdavids line, Nurse Ceci pairing

Auto loss tonight in one of the biggest games of the year.

Woodcroft is the dumbest coach we have ever had

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So, are we really planning on paying Campbell 5 mil to be backup for the next 5 seasons?
Campbell is better than people are presently thinking and is resilient and has demonstrated this before. Goalies have good and bad times, all but the best in the world do. Definitely an overpay for value we're getting this seaosn but thats not to say cost won't be matched by performance in subsequent seasons. Campbell is far les a gamble than Koskinen was and a lot of people defended that goalie and contract for a long time, and which was odd. Because that wasn't even an established NHL goalie. There was no reason to believe he even had the requisite skillsets to play in this league. Of course he wasn't gonna be a starter.

You’re drunk. At least wait until 5 to start drinking.
Sober as a church mouse. The Oilers win when least expected and I feel they will come out hard in this one.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Im new here...how come the other pre game thread that already had upwards of 100 comments was locked and a new one started?
This one is the Game day thread. I don't think we need to have both, and probably sometimes it makes more sense just to have one. Especially as we have less people around with less time to do these game threads now. Should probably just amalgamate for other games but this is BOA, and this is jmo.

welcome to the club

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Campbell is better than people are presently thinking and is resilient and has demonstrated this before. Goalies have good and bad times, all but the best in the world do. Definitely an overpay for value we're getting this seaosn but thats not to say cost won't be matched by performance in subsequent seasons. Campbell is far les a gamble than Koskinen was and a lot of people defended that goalie and contract for a long time, and which was odd. Because that wasn't even an established NHL goalie. There was no reason to believe he even had the requisite skillsets to play in this league. Of course he wasn't gonna be a starter.

Sober as a church mouse. The Oilers win when least expected and I feel they will come out hard in this one.
This is the worst stretch for an Oilers goalie in a very long time. And saying it’s just a rough patch is wrong as well. He has been bad for an entire Calender year.

He isn’t resilient and has shown that. He is an above average backup goalie

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Im new here...how come the other pre game thread that already had upwards of 100 comments was locked and a new one started?

17 comments?

I'm old here... people shouldn't make pre game threads on game days, make game day threads on game days.

But furthermore, Game Day Threads (GDT) are made to centralize (*cough* contain) conversation that can reach upwards of 2k+ posts. They signify there is in fact a game being played today, and should be a quick & easy way to see when, who, and how to watch the game, usually by posting it in the title. This has been lost over time, but I'm a relic.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Well you’re right but there’s a reason games like this are expected losses. The holidays are always poison for this team.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is the worst stretch for an Oilers goalie in a very long time. And saying it’s just a rough patch is wrong as well. He has been bad for an entire Calender year.

He isn’t resilient and has shown that. He is an above average backup goalie
Campbell has only played in 15 games. This is the worst stats he's ever had and are statistically not even close to his established career averages.

Do you really think that 15 games should be seen as more indicative of what this goalie is than the 4-5seasons that preceded it?

I don't we've scratched the surface of Campbell here yet because we haven't. Its far too early for pundits to say albatross. But whatever suits people.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Skinner starting, JP on Mcdavids line, Nurse Ceci pairing

Auto loss tonight in one of the biggest games of the year.

Woodcroft is the dumbest coach we have ever had
I'm starting to think it's not Woodcroft's decision where JP is playing. Holland is trying to trade him and to increase value, he needs points. McDavids line is the best option for that but it's a hexagonal peg being smashed into a triangle hole.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Bad feeling about this. Media please stop talking about Markstrom's Oiler curse. Poor Draisaitl with those line mates ... getting the Nugent Hopkins treatment of days of yore. Flamers will have the workboots on but will the Toilet Seat Boys?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Campbell has only played in 15 games. This is the worst stats he's ever had and are statistically not even close to his established career averages.

Do you really think that 15 games should be seen as more indicative of what this goalie is than the 4-5seasons that preceded it?

I don't we've scratched the surface of Campbell here yet because we haven't. Its far too early for pundits to say albatross. But whatever suits people.
Fair posts and one has to believe Campbell will snap back to more career based numbers eventually. That said, I've never, ever seen a situation in which a high priced free agent had to have his game completely gutted down the wood and rebuild - including equipment, technical, and mental. It's a major storyline in a season of under achievement which includes the Holiday House of giveaway .500 home record. This team's coach didn't have confidence in Campbell to start him in home games against Anaheim or Canucks.

All Hail the rookie goaltender that's kept this team afloat.

Reactions: Biltmore

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Campbell had 2.5 good months for the leafs last season and since his injury has been pure bad. Maybe he can be good, but it’s not too early to think it’s an albatross. He can change the narrative but he has to you know, play well for more than a period at a time.

He is no longer a young goalie either.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Fair posts and one has to believe Campbell will snap back to more career based numbers eventually. That said, I've never, ever seen a situation in which a high priced free agent had to have his game completely gutted down the wood and rebuild - including equipment, technical, and mental. It's a major storyline in a season of under achievement which includes the Holiday House of giveaway .500 home record. This team's coach didn't have confidence in Campbell to start him in home games against Anaheim or Canucks.

All Hail the rookie goaltender that's kept this team afloat.
Dustin Schwartz truly is a goalie coach of all time.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
He didn’t though, he was nurtured by Rodrigue in the AHL
He's worked with Skinner from a young age, like bantam or so. Along with every off-season through his professional development. Add the Flyers young goaltender and you have two young NHL goaltenders who've been developed into big league goaltenders. The Oilers issue repeatedly is trying to evolved fully baked deep veteran goaltenders like Koskinen, Smith, Campbell et all.

Fun narrative though.

Reactions: TB12

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Campbell is better than people are presently thinking and is resilient and has demonstrated this before.

Of course Campbell is better than people are presently thinking. I have seen him play more this season than I have the rest of his career combined.

There are 60 NHL goalies who have played enough to be ranked in league statistics this season.

Campbell has the 57th best GAA.
Campbell has the 56th best save percentage.

Campbell may have come back from tough times before. Counting on him to come back this season is a recipe for sewering the season.

If people had said Campbell would be .900 with a 3.00 GAA in his first season of an 8-year deal people would have been less inclined to support that trade.

How well would Campbell have to play the rest of the the way to get to .900 with a 3.00 GAA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad