Celebrity Death: XXXTentacion

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
His music was really good, in my opinion. Very talented voice and song writing, and his music didn’t really sound like anyone else’s. His last album was excellent. I’m not a fan of a ton of modern hip hop, but his art is great.

He made some extremely poor choices in his life. I do believe that he was trying to become a better person, and I do think no matter what nobody deserves what happened to him. Prayers to his friends and family

Reactions: Gains

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm probably aging myself here, but does anyone else find it like, really weird that the "best" rappers nowadays seem to be all tattoo faced whiny white dudes named "Lil ___?"

nah, they're such a niche of the genre. I wouldn't say anyone who truly listens to hip-hop believes the Lil anythings are the best.

His music was really good, in my opinion. Very talented voice and song writing, and his music didn’t really sound like anyone else’s. His last album was excellent. I’m not a fan of a ton of modern hip hop, but his art is great.

He made some extremely poor choices in his life. I do believe that he was trying to become a better person, and I do think no matter what nobody deserves what happened to him. Prayers to his friends and family

it was a message people could connect with that came from his music. it was definitely different. i can see why he had such a cult following fan base.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I wonder if there will ever be a day where people stop being apologetic for s***bags who beat pregnant women and rob people.

Nobody is apologizing for him. But street justice isn't justice. It's just violence. He should have gone to trial and served his time, preferably in solitary. Had time to think on his actions and a chance to reform.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Nobody is apologizing for him. But street justice isn't justice. It's just violence. He should have gone to trial and served his time, preferably in solitary. Had time to think on his actions and a chance to reform.

I'm not saying he deserved to die...

... But the vast majority of males who end up shot put themselves in the situation.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Selling crack isn’t harming others? :laugh: Okay then. I just found out about him and he has bangers.

I completely separate the music from the person. Most musicians/famous people are pieces of ****. Until it affects me personally I’ll continue to enjoy their work no matter the person they are
Selling crack hurts the crack-head, but it's not like he was out there beating the shit out of people or raping/abusing a pregnant woman. lol.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
can we talk about his bangers though

it's sad because his music was so good and this kid was 20. musically, it's a huge loss.

he has like 6 songs on the top 50 of spotify now....death brings more fame

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Says the person who was never in his shoes and never had to grow up with what he did.

giphy.gif

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
can we talk about his bangers though

it's sad because his music was so good and this kid was 20. musically, it's a huge loss.

he has like 6 songs on the top 50 of spotify now....death brings more fame
yeah, tbh I never really listened to anything of his until the day of his death. the music is really good. shame he was such a POS.

like you said, musically, it's a huge loss.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It seemed as if he was really trying to make a change in his life though. He was trying to get help for his own issues and he helped thousands if not millions of others cope with their battles a little bit as well. He was one rapper who was actually portraying a powerful message.

He had a terrible terrible history but I don’t think it’s fair to say he would’ve been like that his entire life because as I said he seemed to by trying to turn a corner.

What would we think of Malcolm X had he died at 20?

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
RIP, very tragic. I really liked his music. I believe he could've created a whole new genre of his own sort of a Rock/Rap fusion. I still can't believe he's gone, he had a very promising future. Hope justice will be served.

'Save me' is probably my favorite track of his.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I'm not saying he deserved to die...

... But the vast majority of males who end up shot put themselves in the situation.

He reportedly refused to bring security around with him and he was walking around with a gucci bag full of cash. It's sad that his own stubbornness had such tragic consequences, but this could have been prevented.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
He reportedly refused to bring security around with him and he was walking around with a gucci bag full of cash. It's sad that his own stubbornness had such tragic consequences, but this could have been prevented.

I was talking less about a lack of common sense and more about those who live by the sword dying by it.

... But if that's what happened, pretty dumb.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
All of this "he's young and had potential" shit that people are spewing is disgusting.

This is an awful human being, who unfortunately died how he lived, violently. Not everyone who beats their wife becomes Malcolm X. In a perfect world, everyone gets the chance, but i'm not going to shed a single tear for this guy. Screw him.

You get credit and blame for what you DO, not what you're capable of. I'm sure Manson had potential. Screw that noise, screw him, and i'm sorry a 20 year old died, but... I'll sleep fine.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
I think the dichotomy of his actions/message are what causes such turmoil in peoples thoughts and opinions of the guy.

I find his actions disgusting. There's some cloudiness surrounding his actions with the pregnant lady, but even if that's only 10% of the story - trash. He fully admitted f***ing up a gay guy in jail for looking at him after a shower - absolutely uncool.

Once he was out from that stint, he started the music thing, and really was trying to bring a positive message to the people that consumed his content. That positivity shouldn't be overlooked - I think he really did love his fans and felt the pain of growing up both with and without privilege.

Like I said, I think his actions as a teenager were borderline unforgivable. I also don't have any idea what life is like growing up in and around gangs, having no parental influence, living in the f***ing ghetto. That has an effect on people. Not an excuse, but I'm a white guy who was born in Boulder, CO among disgusting privilege. I was given everything and never had to question anything. I could get pulled over for speeding 50mph over the speed limit, and talk my way out of a ticket. I never had to face any racial/socioeconomic adversity, whatsoever. All the dumb shit I did as a kid (which certainly didn't involve rayp or assult) was purely a result of my own stupidity.

The guy was obviously working at spreading a message of hope and solace for the people that needed it. Even Semyon Varlamov kidnapped and imprisoned his girlfriend, and nobody ever talks about it anymore. He's doing a lot less in this community than X was in his.

Finally, before I get flamed out of existence, I think the guy was pretty trash. It's just hard to say "f*** him he deserved to be shot point blank for a Louis Vuitton bag" when he really was doing the best he could in his situation to be a positive influence moving forward. But, maybe I'm just out to lunch.

Reactions: PG Canuck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
All of this "he's young and had potential" **** that people are spewing is disgusting.

This is an awful human being, who unfortunately died how he lived, violently. Not everyone who beats their wife becomes Malcolm X. In a perfect world, everyone gets the chance, but i'm not going to shed a single tear for this guy. Screw him.

You get credit and blame for what you DO, not what you're capable of. I'm sure Manson had potential. Screw that noise, screw him, and i'm sorry a 20 year old died, but... I'll sleep fine.

XXX was changing lots of people’s life’s and actually was improving as a person. He was planning a charity event for suicide prevention in Florida but was killed. He was getting help for himself as well, I believe.

Not everyone becomes a Malcolm X, but XXX was clearly trying to turn a corner and changing others lives while doing it. That alone deserves a chance to live out his life.

I was meh on him being dead because I was also close minded, but then I learned he was trying to make the necessary changes in his life to become a better person and for that he 100% deserved a better fate. If he did what he is accused of, then a prison sentence would’ve been way better than what happened to him.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think the dichotomy of his actions/message are what causes such turmoil in peoples thoughts and opinions of the guy.

I find his actions disgusting. There's some cloudiness surrounding his actions with the pregnant lady, but even if that's only 10% of the story - trash. He fully admitted ****ing up a gay guy in jail for looking at him after a shower - absolutely uncool.

Once he was out from that stint, he started the music thing, and really was trying to bring a positive message to the people that consumed his content. That positivity shouldn't be overlooked - I think he really did love his fans and felt the pain of growing up both with and without privilege.

Like I said, I think his actions as a teenager were borderline unforgivable. I also don't have any idea what life is like growing up in and around gangs, having no parental influence, living in the ****ing ghetto. That has an effect on people. Not an excuse, but I'm a white guy who was born in Boulder, CO among disgusting privilege. I was given everything and never had to question anything. I could get pulled over for speeding 50mph over the speed limit, and talk my way out of a ticket. I never had to face any racial/socioeconomic adversity, whatsoever. All the dumb **** I did as a kid (which certainly didn't involve rayp or assult) was purely a result of my own stupidity.

The guy was obviously working at spreading a message of hope and solace for the people that needed it. Even Semyon Varlamov kidnapped and imprisoned his girlfriend, and nobody ever talks about it anymore. He's doing a lot less in this community than X was in his.

Finally, before I get flamed out of existence, I think the guy was pretty trash. It's just hard to say "**** him he deserved to be shot point blank for a Louis Vuitton bag" when he really was doing the best he could in his situation to be a positive influence moving forward. But, maybe I'm just out to lunch.

You nailed it. What he did is disgusting. No one will defend that. But he was quite clearly trying to change his life and turn the corner and seemingly it looked like he was.

If he did that shit, then send him to prison. This was too much to wish on him.

Reactions: stanislav

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
You nailed it. What he did is disgusting. No one will defend that. But he was quite clearly trying to change his life and turn the corner and seemingly it looked like he was.

If he did that ****, then send him to prison. This was too much to wish on him.

I think it would be naive to completely dismiss his obvious battle with mental health, and what I would consider (from a far not knowing him personally, obviously) borderline insanity. Combined with obvious trauma (bad parents, no dad, suicide and death etc.) it's not hard to see how that would f*** up a young black kid in the hood messing with gangs and gang culture. Does that excuse it? nah. But I think sitting up on the high perch that so many people who drop lines like "yeah, f***er had it coming" or "won't shed a tear at all" etc. is pretty bush league.

You don't have to dig very deep in his archive to know he was struggling with a lot of demons, and it definitely made him an angry dude, which he was seemingly trying to work though via music and helping others that face the same kinds of issues.

I'm still torn about how I feel about him - I fwh music, and struggle with the accusations and admittance of some of the stuff he did. I mean, IRL, my neighbors sold their house a few months ago, and the new people that bought it have a registered sex offender (against a child) living there. The wife and I are super uncomfortable and will be moving partially because of that, even though we've only lived here for 9 months. So I don't fwh actions, but I remember being 14 years old, so damn angry and frustrated as I dealt with my own mental health (and still do) while being afforded every single opportunity and outlet to help me progress. Zero chance X was going to weekly therapy sessions. His music was his therapy and I think from our 5 million mile perspective the changes he was trying to make was because of that.

If this wasn't premeditated, which thus far sounds like it wasn't, it's a damn shame he had to die for a $2000 bag. This new wave of soundcloud rappers takes this whole trolling/call out thing way too far. You know when 69 is throwing up on instagram live that he's taken shit way too far, you know it's time to pump the breaks. Sucks somebody had to die to get there.

Anyway, I'll end my pointless stream of conscious on this one.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
So, has there been any news on the reason for killing XXX? Purely for the bag?

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Anyway, I'll end my pointless stream of conscious on this one.

I personally feel you are making far too many excuses. Sorry, but i do.

We all fight demons, and most of us don't beat up pregnant women, or ask them to choose the item in which we rayp them with. Most of us don't go to jail, let alone beat up gay people for looking at us while in jail. He was a piece of crap, and the argument for "well...," imo is trying to normalize or justify how much of a pos he was.

My girlfriend has depression and general anxiety. Doesn't do stuff like this. I grew up in South Philly with an abusive father, and family members dropping like flies from heroin addictions. I have two physics degrees.

And i'm not saying "i'm better than everyone else," what i'm saying is, he's worse than most people.

I'm not out there making the mental illness argument anytime someone commits a mass murder, and i'm certainly not gonna make it for this guy.

And sorry, but i'm not gonna pretend like beating up women and gay men is just some path to maturation.

Either way, i have always been able to separate art from the artists, so i understand people liking his music, and i'm totally ok with that. I still listen to John Lennon. And i will never spit on someone for having music that allows them to grow, or feel accompanied in life. But he's a piece of shit in my books. And again, "won't shed a tear."

Reactions: God Bless Mr Coffee

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
LOL dude wasn't turning a corner. He was a straight up thug and most of his fan base were thugs. Any of this charity nonsense was him trying to look good for all his court appearances to avoid jail time.

Live by the gang life, die by the gang life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad