Recalled/Assigned: XO and Nosek to be called up

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Pretty weird. They could have called up Miele, AA, Mantha, or probably Tangradi. They went with the guy who's got 6-7 points. I guess maybe they prefer a defensive guy? That's the only way it makes sense.

Even then, we make fun of Glendening, Miller, and Andersson for having zero offense. But they all produced in the AHL. Nosek isn't even doing that.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I think I read this was just in case Z can't go. Which means center and less likely to play. So no point in calling up Mantha really.

Larkin, Datsyuk, Helm, Glendening, Andersson, and Sheahan can all play center for a game or two. Nosek hasn't earned a call up this season. If Mantha can't play it still shows the organization rewards good play. This is an awkward call up.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I just had a gut feeling he wasn't going to call up Mantha. I thought maybe Miele because I know Blash likes him and was looking for a center to replace Z. Nosek is a surprise.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Nosek is a guy the team has to make a decision on next season on whether to keep or move him. I don't mind giving him a couple games just to see what he has. He's probably auditioning for Andersson's roster spot after all and the Wings definitely need PK help. Isn't Nosek one of the primary PK guys for the Griffins?

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Pretty weird. They could have called up Miele, AA, Mantha, or probably Tangradi. They went with the guy who's got 6-7 points. I guess maybe they prefer a defensive guy? That's the only way it makes sense.
Probably because the Wings understand there's more to evaluating prospects than looking at box scores. Points are a function of many variables, some of which are out of player's control. Nosek receives no time on PP and has played most of the year between the likes of Dan Cleary and Colin Campbell: of course he's not going to score many points. Does that mean he's a great prospect? Not really. He's a Andersson-esque talent (big, defensively responsible center held back by poor skating), but he has a better chance of carving out an serviceable NHL career than some guys who own better looking stat lines than him this season.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Probably because the Wings understand there's more to evaluating prospects than looking at box scores. Points are a function of many variables, some of which are out of player's control. Nosek receives no time on PP and has played most of the year between the likes of Dan Cleary and Colin Campbell: of course he's not going to score many points. Does that mean he's a great prospect? Not really. He's a Andersson-esque talent (big, defensively responsible center held back by poor skating), but he has a better chance of carving out an serviceable NHL career than some guys who own better looking stat lines than him this season.
But on the other hand, Coach Nelson has the opportunity to put Nosek wherever he can most help the team. and he's chosen to put him on a depth line with marginal players and low icetime. That says a lot.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Let aa and specifically mantha keep tearing up the AHL to gain confidence. Call em up later.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I like Nosek so I'm fine with it. Could be Andersson's replacement. Obviously would have been good to see Mantha instead though.
Hope they both play.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
But on the other hand, Coach Nelson has the opportunity to put Nosek wherever he can most help the team. and he's chosen to put him on a depth line with marginal players and low icetime. That says a lot.

Well look at who slots in ahead of him. You have Miele who is an excellent offensive player not suited at all for a bottom 6 role, and Athanasiou who is a superb skater and scorer which top 6 NHL upside. Which of those players do you think Nosek should be taking minutes from? He's on the 3rd line because his size and defensive acumen coupled with his average offensive skills makes him a perfect fit there the way the roster is constructed. His wingers are a product of the team not being as deep as previous years. You don't have guys like Mantha or Jurco or even Nestrasil playing bottom 6 minutes. This year it's a rookie Bertuzzi and guys like Hoggan, Campbell, Zengerle, etc. who are either not yet ready to be top players or who are not offensive dynamos. He's playing the role he is given well.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
I don't necessarily disagree (although he does see a fair amount of ice-time when you factor in his work on the PK). I don't think his usage is quite as harsh as you put it, but this is as valid an argument (if not moreso) than making judgements based on points.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Griffins are off til next Saturday...wouldve been nice to see Mantha

Last edited:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I don't mind that the Wings didn't call up Mantha. Yeah, he's on fire, but let him keep it going. He's played well for like 25 games. While that's really encouraging, its not like we're Nyquisting him or something. I don't really feel like the Wings owe him a call up just yet.

As for the Nosek call up, I think this might be more so a "call up" for Jurco. If Nosek is your guy, stick him on the 4th line where he belongs. That pushes Jurco onto a scoring line, which I think he's earned the past few games. Hopefully he ends up there and keeps building confidence.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Strong, responsible, two-way play goes a long way with professional coaches. Honestly, it is a one-game call-up and not something anyone should read a ton into.

CerealKiller

Oct 25, 2014
Wait is the consensus about Nosek that he is like Andersson. Because I really don't like watching Joakim when he is on the ice. Sometimes I skip about 30 seconds to get to the end of his shift.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Leave Mantha in the AHL for now, in all honesty it's the right call. He finally has some confidence and mojo going. Don't throw him in the NHL, have him put up no points with minimal minutes and then get sent right back down. That will hurt his confidence. It took him a year and a half to gain what he has right now, I don't want to ruin what he finally gained

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Wait is the consensus about Nosek that he is like Andersson. Because I really don't like watching Joakim when he is on the ice. Sometimes I skip about 30 seconds to get to the end of his shift.

Even though he hasn't had a great offensive start in GR this year I still think he has more offensive flair to his game than Andersson, but they're pretty similar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad