Boston Bruins XI-Rumors, Trade Proposals, Speculation, etc.. (rumors must have recognized source/link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I mean its probably fair to look at 5v5 right? Numbers can get skewed by guys who play on the PP and not the PK or vice versa. Personally like 3yrs of data myself as it gives a more accurate picture of now vs a whole career. Based on that and looking at the rel numbers, Wood since 2018

PlayerCF% RelSF% RelGF% RelxGF% RelSCF% RelHDCF% Rel
Miles Wood-1.10.04-6.35-1.7-3.27-0.41
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Obviously 0.0 would be neutral (team isn't better or worse with Wood on the ice) when looking at Rel's.

Biggest concern's are obviously the GF% Rel and SCF% Rel. Oddly enough his xGF% is significantly lower than his actual GF% Rel. The rest of them are close enough to neutral that it doesn't concern me. I'm sure it doesn't help his numbers that he's a guy that likes to fly the zone (and NJD asks him to do it as well), which can lead to problems obviously and would kill his GF% Rel.

Not sure I can completely agree with you on his linemates being better away from Wood. Again Rel numbers at 5v5 this year, this is his top 3 linemates in TOI

CF% Rel Without WoodFF% Rel Without WoodSF% Rel Without WoodGF% Rel Without WoodxGF% Rel Without WoodSCF% Rel Without WoodHDCF% Rel Without Wood
Michael McLeod-7.36-4.99-4.47-6.81-5.45-6.82-14.91
Nathan Bastian9.2910.5210.0810.517.865.67-1.26
Travis Zajac-1.01-2.14-4.3516.01-1.06-1.620.9
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Looks like McLeod is worse, Bastian is better and Zajac for the most part is slightly worse.

Wood plays an up-tempo game with a high risk high reward style. Our problem isn't stopping teams from scoring, its actually scoring ourselves. I think he'd be a quality 3rd liner next to Coyle on this team.

All of the numbers and really statements more than anything I made were based on 5v5 stats and the data you're presenting here backs up everything I've said. 3 years vs whole career is a viable argument but we're talking about tacking on an additional 136 games, not 8 years, and there isn't much statistical change in his early numbers to his more recent numbers.

This is last year:

View attachment 415994

The team was significantly worse when he was on the ice. It's double the sample size of this season and is where I got the info that made me make that statement. Now looking a bit deeper it seems like its a bit more neutral over the longer span of his 300 game career but always pretty bad.

The larger point here is that Miles Wood isn't actually any good.

Reactions: Kegs

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
All of the numbers and really statements more than anything I made were based on 5v5 stats and the data you're presenting here backs up everything I've said. 3 years vs whole career is a viable argument but we're talking about tacking on an additional 136 games, not 8 years, and there isn't much statistical change in his early numbers to his more recent numbers.

This is last year:

View attachment 415994

The team was significantly worse when he was on the ice. It's double the sample size of this season and is where I got the info that made me make that statement. Now looking a bit deeper it seems like its a bit more neutral over the longer span of his 300 game career but always pretty bad.

The larger point here is that Miles Wood isn't actually any good.

Not sure I'd say he isn't any good, but to each their own. As you said its a bit more neutral and we're not looking for him to carry this team or even a line. We just need him to come in and play the up-tempo speed game that he plays.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

Krejcis new RW coming in hot

:naughty::sarcasm:

More points than half our roster.

All these guys on waivers that have more points than half of our team. What's that say about our team? Points aren't everything, but....

Gusev's not the answer, but Sweeney's lack of anything is a little concerning.

11 days til deadline?

Reactions: Gordoff

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I absolutely can't stand when people use all of those fancy stat numbers. Maybe it's because I don't really get it, but I'm 95% sure it's because I don't care.
There were some advanced stats that were thrown around over the summer that convinced some posters that it wouldn’t be a good deal for us to trade DeBrusk for Boeser, when we were talking about trade proposals with Vancouver. Edmonton fans also threw around advanced stats to convince themselves that some of their lesser D were better than Nurse. :laugh:

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I don't care where player A's defensive stick was last night during dinner, and i definitely don't give a bakers f*** about quality shots during breakfast.

One of the best lessons I learned was that not everything in life was going to be interesting to me personally. Once I learned how to skip things that I didn't care for, I became a lot happier.

Anyhow, sorry to hear that these things' existence bothers you enough to whine about it. Better days ahead!

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Not sure I'd say he isn't any good, but to each their own. As you said its a bit more neutral and we're not looking for him to carry this team or even a line. We just need him to come in and play the up-tempo speed game that he plays.

His team was -10% xG below average last year with him on the ice. That's bad. It's only -1% this year, which is still bad. He does play up tempo and with speed. The result has generally been bad for his team when he does that. He's not someone the bruins should seek to acquire.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
His team was -10% xG below average last year with him on the ice. That's bad. It's only -1% this year, which is still bad. He does play up tempo and with speed. The result has generally been bad for his team when he does that. He's not someone the bruins should seek to acquire.

Going to have to move on, don't want to upset folks with advanced stat talk anymore.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Well the eye test told us Wood is good. He was the best player on the ice last game. He scored and created tons of room for his team. He could of had 3-4 goals easily, although he’s not a goal scorer he can flat out fly.

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Oh my are the flyers in trouble with the crazy contracts and faltering team. Perhaps trade for Gritty or Giroux?

But Giroux would be interesting. UFA 2022-2023 byt 8.25.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Well the eye test told us Wood is good. He was the best player on the ice last game. He scored and created tons of room for his team. He could of had 3-4 goals easily, although he’s not a goal scorer he can flat out fly.
I’m sure there’s some advanced stat that shows him as a pig and everything our eye is seeing is untrue.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Oh my are the flyers in trouble with the crazy contracts and faltering team. Perhaps trade for Gritty or Giroux?

But Giroux would be interesting. UFA 2022-2023 byt 8.25.

f09bcdf57a351c318da022c366f9b035

Blades would like a word with you privately.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Quite a lot of argument about Miles Wood. Miles friggin Wood. He wood be a good pickup if the Bruins could get him, but he's a third line guy. He isn't the main thing they need, but if it was on the back of getting a top 6 goal scorer, I wood like to see it :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad