Recalled/Assigned: Xavier Ouellet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
They did it with Ericsson and DeKeyser...

They have done it up front with Abdelkader, Helm and Nyquist.

I believe barring an upgrade where this is no longer a massive issue that Ouellet is in the playoff plans. He played last year over Kindl for their final game.

Their playoff roster and six month roster have proved to be different things and rightfully so. Which one of their players have they ruined doing this, did Kreider get ruined in New York with this same theory?

As Henkka said it does things with the roster limits and such. That is the business angle we don't like, but it makes sense. I expect he will be up sometime in March to stay.

fair enough

i simply dont recall the team choosing to play a 20 year old dman with 10-15 nhl games under his belt solely for the playoffs at the expense of a 26 year old veteran who was/is signed for another three seasons

if thats happened before to allow ericsson or dekeyser under those exact same circumstances to play then so be it

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
For 1 more year yes I agree with you. But I'm pretty sure his deal is up at the end of the year and his spot should go to a kid that won't make it threw waivers. Once he hits FA he won't have too much bargaining power but he should not be retained to further increase the chances that a d-prospect with promise gets waived and claimed.

I really want Kindl moved however. No ******** I would retain .5 million no question for 3 years. And I would only ask for a 5th to 7th rounder back. He isn't a tire fire or anything it is just his playing style doesn't work with babcock's coaching style. Though I am happy he has been producing every now and then this year. If he can come into the trade deadline around 21-25 points that might further entice a team to bite the bullet and take on his contract.

Lashoff is actually signed for next year as well. Which I'm ok with, though I do agree with your general point. Here's my timeline (this is assuming the Wings don't trade for a top-pairing dman in the next couple years, which they certainly might do)....

This March - roster limit is gone and Ouellet takes the #6 spot while Kindl becomes a reserve along with Lashoff

This offseason - Kindl is traded

Next season - Ouellet is in the top-6, Lashoff remains the #7, and one of our other defense prospects (Marchenko?) does what Ouellet is doing this year (getting call-ups and some NHL time)

After next season - Quincey and Lashoff walk and two more prospects (Marchenko and Jensen?) take the #6 and 7 spots.

I don't see more than 3 of our D prospects making it in Detroit, since we just don't have enough room, and that would be too much youth and inexperience anyway.

And if the Wings do trade for a top-pairing guy, I'd guess Smith goes the other way, so that opens the requisite spot.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
as much as i would love to think so, what makes you believe holland will bench experienced DMEN in the playoffs in favour of a rookie with what, maybe 10 NHL games played this season at that point?

i dont believe holland looks at the playoffs as the best testing ground for rookies at the expense of vets.

Of course not, but that's not what's being suggested. First off, Kindl has already sat for Ouellet numerous times, so it's not outrageous. Second, Ouellet would become a regular in early March, so he'd play regularly for a month and a half before the playoffs. And if for some reason he's playing awful, then you go with Kindl in the playoffs anyway. That's what depth is all about.

Finally, there's nothing more to "test" with Ouellet. He's ready and he's better than Kindl. If you were talking about any of our other D prospects, I'd agree with you.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lashoff is actually signed for next year as well. Which I'm ok with, though I do agree with your general point. Here's my timeline (this is assuming the Wings don't trade for a top-pairing dman in the next couple years, which they certainly might do)....

This March - roster limit is gone and Ouellet takes the #6 spot while Kindl becomes a reserve along with Lashoff

This offseason - Kindl is traded

Next season - Ouellet is in the top-6, Lashoff remains the #7, and one of our other defense prospects (Marchenko?) does what Ouellet is doing this year (getting call-ups and some NHL time)

After next season - Quincey and Lashoff walk and two more prospects (Marchenko and Jensen?) take the #6 and 7 spots.

Exactly like this. :teach2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad